• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Here's The New 2024 Player's Handbook Wizard Art

WotC says art is not final.

Status
Not open for further replies.
GJStLauacAIRfOl.jpeg

Yaarel

He Mage
A lot of people do hate themselves if they don't measure up to what society tells them they should look like.
This is the problem in the first place: "measure up".

"People hate themselves ... society tells them".

Society treats individuals poorly.

Men hate themselves if they dont make enough money.

Women hate themselves if they arent culturally ideal visually.

Vice versa, etcetera, etcetera.

The impulse to measure self worth in terms of flawlessness is ludicrous.

At the same time, is poverty good? No. It needs to heal or mitigate. Is blindness good? No. It needs to heal or mitigate.

Stop calling harm good.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I wonder what the world would be like if no one took inequalities in capability (vision, typing speed, sports ball, coding ability, perfect pitch, video game playing hand-eye coordination, attention span, extroversion, etc ..) as saying anything about equality in human dignity and equality in human worth.

I guess I should start with just wondering what it would be like if most people just acted like they believed in general human dignity and worth.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
At the same time, is poverty good? No. It needs to heal or mitigate. Is blindness good? No. It needs to heal or mitigate.

Stop calling harm good.

Mod note:
So, nobody is saying that harm is good.

They are saying, in effect, that the people who have suffered harm are still good as people, and the people deserve to have representation. Representing the people says the people still have value. Erasing the people says ugly things about their value as people.

If you are not down with that, please be aware that you are making folks uncomfortable with your desire to erase that representation, and per our inclusivity policy, that's a problem.

Yaarel

He Mage
@Umbran

A difficulty is, D&D includes fantasy cultures. Even ones where magic or other technology can remedy blindness or have utopian economies, or so on.

In such a culture, blindness implies a choice to be blind, which requires narrative explanation. Or perhaps it is a powerful magic, and community lacking high enough levels to counter it. Or it is a recent injury, or so on.

I value inclusivity. There needs to be ways that make narrative sense.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
@Umbran

A difficulty is, D&D includes fantasy cultures. Even ones where magic or other technology can remedy blindness or have utopian economies, or so on.

In such a culture, blindness implies a choice to be blind, which requires narrative explanation. Or perhaps it is a powerful magic, and community lacking high enough levels to counter it. Or it is a recent injury, or so on.

I value inclusivity. There needs to be ways that make narrative sense.
The narrative explanation, like the narrative explanations for most "unique" PCs (see also: good drow), is up to the player.

It's also worth pointing out that many "disabilities" are considered by their communities as a culture, particularly for those who are born with their conditions. There is a reason why the deaf community by and large oppose cochlear implants.

Disability justice is about recognizing that having a disability doesn't make your experience with life worse, just different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads