D&D (2024) Here's The New 2024 Player's Handbook Wizard Art

WotC says art is not final.

Status
Not open for further replies.
GJStLauacAIRfOl.jpeg

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I confess to not having read either of these:

"He is the first author to win both the Newbery and the Carnegie medals for the same work, The Graveyard Book (2008). In 2013, The Ocean at the End of the Lane was voted Book of the Year in the British National Book Awards. It was later adapted into a critically acclaimed stage play at the Royal National Theatre in London."
The Graveyard Book is fantastic. Gaiman had the weird semi-goth idea of "what if the Jungle Book took place in a graveyard, with ghosts raising a lost little boy" and the novel is the result. Really great and I strongly recommend it to DMs who want to do something interesting with necropoli and ghosts.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I’m not sure about Gaiman, but there are a couple type of “Wizards”/Magicians in the Riordanverse. The first and main type are the Magicians, people descended from Ancient Egyptian magicians that use hieroglyphs and godly powers to do magic. The other type are children of Hekate and other special demigods, who focus more on illusion/enchantment magic and using the Mist (magical barrier that prevents mortals from seeing supernatural stuff) to manipulate reality. There’s also Norse runecarvers, that use Norse runes engraved in runestones to channel magic. But magicians don’t really exist in the original Percy Jackson series, the Egyptian, Norse, and other magicians are in the spin-off and sequel series.
Gaiman wrote the Books of Magic comics about a bespectacled teenage boy who is destined to become a powerful wizard, he's also part of the Anthology Wizards which is about well...

Also got to agree about the Graveyard Book, one of my favourite stories...

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Gaiman wrote the Books of Magic comics about a bespectacled teenage boy who is destined to become a powerful wizard, he's also part of the Anthology Wizards which is about well...
I love Books of Magic. (And am still not over the original art page by Vess being sold before I got back with the money way back in the 90s). But I am doubting that even most comic book fans remember it :.-(

For the Wheel of Time, in particular, the archetypal magic-user looks pretty much exactly like the OP image: a middle-aged woman with some features thst look younger than expected and others that look older (like the hair color).
Yep, in the '90s, before the rise of GRRM (which was helped by Jordan himself) and Harry Potter, the most notable "wizards" in fantasy literature then being released would have been Jordan's multi-ethnic all-female Aes Sedai. And I can definitely see some of them wearing such an outfit (and Jordan, in some of his more... descriptive clothing moments probably described such an outfit in loving detail, over the course of two or three pages lol). Take out the staff, and you could easily pass it for some WoT fan art.

Last edited:

nyvinter

Adventurer
* Neil Gaiman has had a several things - including comics, novels, BBC adaptations, and a recent streaming series: Sandman, American Gods, Stardust, Neverwhere; 3 million followers on his active Twitter account.
Not to mention two seasons of Good Omens (with a third one coming) and a second Netflix show coming next month with Dead Boy Detectives.

He also travels and do story readings and lectures about storytelling. These are things that sell out at the theatre venues.

gban007

Adventurer
And now I'm wondering if my two favorite wizards in literature are Goblin and One-Eye. But if LeGuin and Gaiman aren't big enough to count as famous ;-) , no way Glen Cook is.
I reread those semi-recently! Great series, Goblin and One-Eye were very good in it, not your typical wizards :)
Held up better than Chronicles of the Raven did when I tried to reread that at a similar time.

Autumnal

Bruce Baugh, Writer of Fortune
And now I'm wondering if my two favorite wizards in literature are Goblin and One-Eye. But if LeGuin and Gaiman aren't big enough to count as famous ;-) , no way Glen Cook is.
Your favorites are your favorites, no matter if they’re in anyone else’s Top Whatever lists. Also, by any sensible standard, Cook was one of the big names in fantasy of the 1980s-2000s, and left a lingering mark in the imagination of many of us. Rock on.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yep, in the '90s, before the rise of GRRM (which was helped by Jordan himself) and Harry Potter, the most notable "wizards" in fantasy literature then being released would have been Jordan's multi-ethnic all-female Aes Sedai. And I can definitely see some of them wearing such an outfit (and Jordan, in some of his more... descriptive clothing moments probably described such an outfit in loving detail, over the course of two or three pages lol). Take out the staff, and you could easily pass it for some WoT fan art.
Heck, forget fanart, here is an official cover art portrait of Moraine from a relatively recent reprint:

Moiraine_Damodred.JPG.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads