D&D General Here's What A 5' Square Actually Looks Like

Over on imgur, a user called DoofusDad created a real-life five-foot square to illustrate what it actually looks like.

Over on imgur, a user called DoofusDad created a real-life five-foot square to illustrate what it actually looks like.

Screenshot 2019-09-12 at 23.18.00.png

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
The whole scale just makes more sense to me if 0 and 100 are tied to objective values. In Fahrenheit, they’re just seemingly arbitrary “really cold” and “really hot.” Makes it harder for me to grokk what the numbers between those points actually mean.

All values are objective.

0 farenheit is objectively 32 degrees below feezing

100 Fahrenheit is 68 degrees above freezing and 112 degrees below boiling

Those are objective values. They just aren’t tied to a precise physical phenomenon.

0 Fahrenheit still has physical meaning though. It’s the temperature nearly all water freezes at (not just fresh water).

What temperature does that occur at in celcius. You have to look it up ;)

FrogReaver

The whole scale just makes more sense to me if 0 and 100 are tied to objective values. In Fahrenheit, they’re just seemingly arbitrary “really cold” and “really hot.” Makes it harder for me to grokk what the numbers between those points actually mean.

Just curious. What objective physical phenomenon do you tie 100 meters to?

FrogReaver

No, Celsius abs Fahrenheit are scales. Degrees are units of measurement.

Then metric is a scale and meters are units of measurement. Same difference. Get back to the important point instead of quibbling over unimportant details? Neither metric nor meters tie the value 100 to any meaningful physical phenomenon. Why is it okay for distance to work that way but not temperature?

FrogReaver

One hundred metres is:

One one-hundred thousandth of the distance from the equator to the north pole.

The length of 165076373 wavelengths in vacuum of the radiation of krypton-86.

The distance light travels in a vacuum in the time of 3.33564095e-7 seconds.

Sounds about as tied to a physical phenomenon as tying 100 degrees Fahrenheit to 112 degrees below the boiling point of pure water (212 degrees Fahrenheit)

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads