Heroes by Action or Superheroes by Ability?

Which way do you like to run your campaign world?

3E was more of heroes by action. Leveled beings were not common but NPCs with levels, monsters with levels, etc, existing in fair quantities everywhere you go. Forgotten Realms was an excellent example as no city worth its salt did not boast of at least one archmage in residence.

In this world characters stood out for their abilities but would stand out for their actions even more as being a 8th level fighter or 10th level cleric did not make you that incredibly unique.

5E on the other hand goes the other direction. There is less magic items, leveled being are far more rare and irrelevant of how they act even moderate level characters are effectively superheroes to the general community around them based on their abilities, skills, feats, and hit points. A party of 4th level characters could walk into a village and expect to be more powerful than the entire village combined.

Which way do you think works better? What do you prefer? Each has its own benefits and drawbacks.

Opinions?

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
You can still have powerfull NPCs in 5e, you just don't have to go all the trouble of building them the way you did in 3e. There are examples in the back of the MM, in Volo's Guide, and I am sure there will be more in the Mordenkainen book.

Hjorimir

Adventurer
For me, characters are "heroes" by their deeds. Nobody cares if your powerful if all you do is squat in your tower and read dusty books. They care if you're the one who shows up when danger is on the doorstep. There are plenty of powerful NPCs in my campaign setting and some of them are heroic, but my game is about the player characters and I want them to be heroes here and now...not just once they reach the limits of character power. I let them revel in their success.

Hjorimir

Adventurer
I wanted to add a thought here. I've know plenty of DMs who were very reluctant to let the characters be heroes for their deeds. There seemed to be some kind of odd worry that if they let the PCs be viewed as heroes that the DM was some how being soft. I think there's a lot of pressure when you're the hero as you're expected to solve all of the problems.

Rossbert

Explorer
I prefer a low-to-mid power campaign. Magic exists but is notable by its presence. Basically a setting where there is room for heroes without the question of "Why don't all these incredibly personally powerful nobles, wizards, heroes, etc. that seem to be everywhere fix these problems themselves?" A setting that has magic that feels magical and wondrous without the local shop selling magic swords and a magical academy in every town with a decent population.

Tony Vargas

Legend
5E A party of 4th level characters could walk into a village and expect to be more powerful than the entire village combined.
Numbers tell heavily in 5e. While a village of ordinary people would probably panic and mostly run and hide if attacked by a band of murder-hobos, if they all fought back the flurry of improvised attacks - thrown rocks or whatever - would likely whittle 'em down fast.

Which way do you think works better? What do you prefer? Each has its own benefits and drawbacks.

Opinions?
Ultimately, I don't think either edition requires or assumes one or the other, it's a matter of how the DM paints the setting. Similarly, it depends on the tone of the game. If you want a more realistic tone, being comparatively undistinguished by ability or destiny, and only impacting the world by willful action - and that with little likelihood of success, would be appropriate. If you want a more moralistic tone, then exploring characters with great power and how they exercise the responsibility that comes with it could be appropriate....

Last edited:

aco175

Legend
I tend to look at being a hero like being a sports star. Early levels may run parallel to the high school quarterback. some of the people in town recognize him as the wins pile up and the state championship looms. The cops may give him a break or the he could get free breakfast but a few towns away he is a nobody. Regional fame may be the local athlete that makes the Olympics and the local TV runs specials on him and people would recognize him from the TV. Higher level characters may be ranked along the spectrum of most sports on TV. Being Masters week everyone knows who Tiger Woods is being in that 17-20th level range, but maybe people who do not follow golf wont recognize Patrick Reed who is leading the tournament, who is more in the level 13-17 range.

Remove ads