• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Heroes of Shadow

gyor

Legend
You're right :)
My only dwarf char so far was a shaman!

I do like the racial utility powers, btw. They're a neat way to make your choice of race more important without requiring feats. I'd like it even more if there was a feat similar to the one to gain an additional skill power to get an additional racial utility power.

I love having plenty of interesting and versatile utility powers! :D

Just thought of something. I believe says that anytime you gain a utility power with a level you can switch it out for a shade utility power of equal level. Could you take the skill power feat then use that rule to retain it to be a shade or vyrloka power?

JoeGKushner

First Post
Assassin class = striker

Paladin class = striker

Vampire class = striker

I know there areo ther builds in the book, but damn, it's not like we were suffering a dearth of strikers to begin with.

Can the effort on leaders and controllers be put a little more to the forefront the next time three classes are built up from 1st to 30th?

Klaus

First Post
Assassin class = striker

Paladin class = striker

Vampire class = striker

I know there areo ther builds in the book, but damn, it's not like we were suffering a dearth of strikers to begin with.

Can the effort on leaders and controllers be put a little more to the forefront the next time three classes are built up from 1st to 30th?
I didn't work on any of the classes, but I think leaders and controllers could use more love.

Klaus

First Post
Just thought of something. I believe says that anytime you gain a utility power with a level you can switch it out for a shade utility power of equal level. Could you take the skill power feat then use that rule to retain it to be a shade or vyrloka power?
IIRC, the text says you can swap only utility powers gained from your class.

Mentat55

First Post
I didn't work on any of the classes, but I think leaders and controllers could use more love.

I'd love to see a leader that breaks out of the healing word mode a little bit, and a controller that has robust class features that grant it controller effects, rather than relying mainly on the powers themselves.

I think striker is a fairly easy role to default to, so when a class concept is created and it doesn't seem to scream one of the other roles, it almost always falls into the striker role.

WalterKovacs

First Post
Assassin class = striker

Paladin class = striker

Vampire class = striker

I think that it may have had to do with the flavor of the book. Shadow does seem to hint at sort of selfish/evilish/lurkerish/etc ... so striker and controller fit better than leader or defender ... the death domain cleric being one leader that still fits.

Still, at least from a "strictly Essentials" perspective at least, a third defender or leader, or a fourth controller would probably be more appreciated than yet another striker (or, if there is another striker, at least not another melee focused one).

Destil

Explorer
For what it's worth, darkvision at will isn't a heroic tier possibility in my own game (drow get low light and can take a paragon feat). That was one of the things 4E fixed IMHO. And the shade's healing surge penalty is good enough that I will allow it for them.

Vael

Legend

Just pointing out that the role with the fewest classes is actually the Defender. Including subclasses, there are, as of Heroes of Shadow: 7 Defenders, 8 Controllers, 9 Leaders and 15 Strikers. Still, the point is accurate, we need more non-strikers.

Mengu

First Post
Just pointing out that the role with the fewest classes is actually the Defender. Including subclasses, there are, as of Heroes of Shadow: 7 Defenders, 8 Controllers, 9 Leaders and 15 Strikers. Still, the point is accurate, we need more non-strikers.

More striker classes fits the party demographic I seem to observe, as the typical party will have at least as many or more strikers in it than any other role. Typical 5-man party is LDCSS, LDSSS, or LDDSS. 6 man parties I've seen are typically LDDCSS, LDCSSS, LDDSSS, LLDDSS, LDSSSS, etc. There does need to be twice as many striker classes as any other role to maintain a healthy variety.

But I can get on board with more defenders, since I think I see them as the second most frequent role, as there will be duplicate defenders before duplicate leaders or controllers. Having said that, Fighters probably have the most builds and feature options, potentially making 2 fighters feel and play quite different.

If the next publication (online or paper) has 1 defender, 1 striker, I'd be perfectly fine with that.

Edit: And I just realize this went completely off topic, my apologies.

Incenjucar

Legend
While I do hope they look into more non-strikers for existing power sources, particularly shadow, the elemental power source would actually work extremely well for non-strikers with all the wind, water, and earth defense and movement concepts one can bring up, and adding elemental damage to attacks.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads