• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Heroes of Shadow

CelticMutt

First Post
Sorry, I don't know anything about Gloomwrought.

As for "wasting" a racial benefit: I suppose you don't like that dwarves get free weapon proficiencies that are wasted on Fighters. ;)

Like I said, shade does offer neat stuff for rogues and assassins, but instead of being in the "gray box", those benefits are in the racial utilities. And the race still offers a racial +2 to Stealth.
Skill training is worth more than proficiency in a few extra weapons though.

Incenjucar

Legend
made sense in the original intent of the race.

While I seriously doubt it unless they had vampire-like abilities, I do hope that WotC has learned that the "original intent" doesn't justify problems with "current" intent. It's like if the original intent of the seeker was for it to be a defender so that's why it does terrible control.

Mengu

First Post
There are some ideas and concepts in this book which are brilliant. One of those ideas is the free racial utility access. However, every single one I read, I'm clenching my fists and grinding my teeth thinking it's almost good... but it isn't. Reading them is like getting your hopes up only to have them crushed.

Why is this? Were you not allowed to make "good stuff" people would want to use? The fluff, the mechanics, are almost to the point where I might take the racial utility over a class power, but I can't because an aspect of it does not deliver the same punch I expect from a utility power of its level.

For a more in depth look at Vryloka powers, read on...

[sblock]
Unnatural Vitality - I like the duration, and half of the trigger condition. Kill an enemy and get a day long benefit sounds awesome. Why did it have to be melee attack? Not only does it discourage ranged attackers away, but if you have some burst and blast attacks, it doesn't even trigger off those. If you could expend your unnatural vitality at some point in the day (ending the effect) to regain a spent healing surge and immediately expend it as a minor action, it would have stayed within the flavor, helped out with one of the Vryloka's problems of running out of surges quickly, and brought this utility to a desirable power level.

Bloodwolf Form - It all looked great as a scouting, mobility enhancing power, until the minor action switch. This makes the power down right unusable during combat because you need your minor actions for other stuff. Why couldn't it be a free action during your turn? There are stances that let you completely ignore difficult terrain. The switch as a free action would not have broken the camel's back, and made it actually worth considering.

Crimson Wings - This one hits the nail almost on the head. Add the subtext, you don't provoke opportunity attacks from the first creature you move away from, and it would be perfect.

I love the concepts. I am unfortunately left unsatisfied, and as they stand, couldn't bring myself to use the utility powers, even if I could bring myself to play a Vryloka.[/sblock]

gyor

Legend
To be honest, Ravenkin was originally open to any character, not just arcane ones.

I did write PPs for non-arcane characters, but they didn't make it into the book (and some of them were my favorites).

I liked Ravenkin. I also liked that worshipper RQ isn't required so you can refluff to another god or entity.

What were your favourite pps that didn't get published?

Jhaelen

First Post
As for "wasting" a racial benefit: I suppose you don't like that dwarves get free weapon proficiencies that are wasted on Fighters. ;)
You're right :)
My only dwarf char so far was a shaman!

I do like the racial utility powers, btw. They're a neat way to make your choice of race more important without requiring feats. I'd like it even more if there was a feat similar to the one to gain an additional skill power to get an additional racial utility power.

I love having plenty of interesting and versatile utility powers! :D

You're right :)
My only dwarf char so far was a shaman!

I do like the racial utility powers, btw. They're a neat way to make your choice of race more important without requiring feats. I'd like it even more if there was a feat similar to the one to gain an additional skill power to get an additional racial utility power.

I love having plenty of interesting and versatile utility powers! :D
I am with you on that issue... i really hate redundant abilities... they let my powergamer heart crumble...

So i would never play a shade with a class that gets stealth for free... (which is a personal preoblem, not really one of the system...)

Klaus

First Post
For a more in depth look at Vryloka powers, read on...

[sblock]
Unnatural Vitality - I like the duration, and half of the trigger condition. Kill an enemy and get a day long benefit sounds awesome. Why did it have to be melee attack? Not only does it discourage ranged attackers away, but if you have some burst and blast attacks, it doesn't even trigger off those. If you could expend your unnatural vitality at some point in the day (ending the effect) to regain a spent healing surge and immediately expend it as a minor action, it would have stayed within the flavor, helped out with one of the Vryloka's problems of running out of surges quickly, and brought this utility to a desirable power level.

Bloodwolf Form - It all looked great as a scouting, mobility enhancing power, until the minor action switch. This makes the power down right unusable during combat because you need your minor actions for other stuff. Why couldn't it be a free action during your turn? There are stances that let you completely ignore difficult terrain. The switch as a free action would not have broken the camel's back, and made it actually worth considering.

Crimson Wings - This one hits the nail almost on the head. Add the subtext, you don't provoke opportunity attacks from the first creature you move away from, and it would be perfect.

I love the concepts. I am unfortunately left unsatisfied, and as they stand, couldn't bring myself to use the utility powers, even if I could bring myself to play a Vryloka.[/sblock]

Unnatural Vitality was meant to mimic the tasting of blood, so melee made sense. Keep in mind that you don't have to kill the enemy in the heat of battle. Just declare you're keeping the enemy unconscious with your last attack, then move in and finish the job with any melee attack (either during battle or after the battle is done). Does that feel a bit ruthless? Yes, as it should!

Bloodwolf Form - A minor action to turn to wolf and another minor to turn back is a very... ahem... minor cost. You can be in wolf form, move (with the benefits of the form) adjacent to an enemy, change to vryloka form and still attack.

Crimson Wings - There's a thread on HoS errata at the WotC forums, you should post that there, it's a good idea to round out the power.

Klaus

First Post
I liked Ravenkin. I also liked that worshipper RQ isn't required so you can refluff to another god or entity.

What were your favourite pps that didn't get published?
I prefer not to say, in the vain hope they see the light of day somewhere else... :D

Remove ads