• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Heroes...Season 1--10/16/06 Esp#4

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Filby said:
Future Hiro was pretty cool (I like him better as a geek tho'!), but I thought the sword was a bit much.

Swords don't run out of ammo or misfire, and though of course they're not great weapons when all your opponents have guns... in the hands of someone who can slow and stop time at will, it's a terrifying weapon.

JEL

First Post
Filby said:
Very good episode. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Future Hiro was pretty cool (I like him better as a geek tho'!), but I thought the sword was a bit much.

What about wearing a trench coat and carrying a katana isn't geeky as hell?

Sir Brennen

Legend
Ed_Laprade said:
(Oh yeah, Claire should have no memory! She may be able to regenerate brain cells, but once you've been dead for more than 15 minutes (usually) the memory chains start breaking down. Regeneration will not help with that! The regen will set them back to zero.)
Aaannd... you know this because you've talked to how many dead people who've regenerated back to life? :)

Seriously, we currently know so little about how memory works in the brain, I'm not sure you really say how much is lost physiologically afterdead. The fact that nervous tissue doesn't regenerate like other tissue presents a problem in the first place. But if you accept the premise that Claire's CNS does, and if information is stored "holographically" in the brain as some theories suggest, the remaining part of her brain might contain the information to allow the synapses in the damaged part regrow with their developed (as opposed to base genetic) configuration intact.

However, I think she'd been dead so long that nothing should have been able to regenerate. If you think too hard about it, coming back from the dead at all after several hours doesn't really make sense, even with a super regeneration power, as all tissue starts breaking down, not just the brain cells. The regeneration should prevent you from being dead in the first place.

And if there was still a cluster of living cells around that imbedded stick futilely trying to close the wound, you have to wonder, how little tissue could she regenerate from? If you cut off her hand, could the hand grow a new body? Could she regenerate from decapitation?

The show, while highly entertaining, is definitely more entrenched in comic-book science than "hard" sci-fi.

ThirdWizard

First Post
WayneLigon said:
Swords don't run out of ammo or misfire, and though of course they're not great weapons when all your opponents have guns...

It is a formal weapon of a Hiro. Not as clumsy or random as a gun.

Aaron L

Hero
I am so glad my friend got me to watch this show. I actually have a reason for my TV again.

Hiro is my hero! Patterning his superhero costume after mirai Trunks, the X-Men references... damn!

Taelorn76

First Post
It was clever how they got around people finding out about Claire's death, by making her Jane Doe. The QB was really freaked when he saw her at school the next day.

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
Easter Egg...found

Okay...since no one pick it up, not even me. *Had to be pointed out by a friend of mine* There is a switch of pictures, and the clue is...a book!

Last edited:

Taelorn76

First Post
Truth Seeker said:
Okay...since no one pick it up, not even me. *Had to pointed out by a friend of mine* There is a switch of pictures, and the clue is...a book!
Can you elaborate on switch of pictures? Is this in the show, on the web?

Iku Rex

Explorer
Obligatory short time travel rant

I'm starting to warm a little to Heroes. The acting and writing wasn't as clumsy as in the pervious episodes. Still not very impressive though.

But the time travel... (Hiro and painter guy.) Why does almost every sci-fi show have to include this glaringly absurd concept. :mad:

Remove ads