• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Heward's Handy Haversack = free Quickdraw? +Quiver of Ehlonna questions

Petrosian

First Post
FWIW...

"is sharp objects pierce it" etc is a far cry from what this line seems to be intrepreted as "any sharp object placed in the bag will instantly and utterly rupture it."

Barring specific reference to this type of fragility, i use the sharp pointy in context... if it is stuck by pointy things with such force as to rupture it, then you have the problem. Putting arrows into a haversack is fine, as long as its done carefully and not significant disruption occurs afterward.

See, these items are meant to do one thing, to alleviate some of the bookkeeping mishmash involved in running a character. thats why amoung other reasons, they are so cheap. Its seems silly to add an item to ease bookkeeping and at the same time overcomplicate its use with "shatters at the very thought of a pointy object" style interpretations.

Murrdox

First Post
As long as my players don't go around shoving bastard swords into their bags of holding, I really don't keep track of it. I agree that unless you carelessly SHOVE an arrow into a BOH, it won't go and rupture on you.

Heck, I'd even allow a bastard sword to be put into a BOH if it was sheathed. I'm not going to go worrying whether or not any item put in a bag has pointy corners or whatnot.

Kannik

Hero
????

Woah! Aiya! Zoiks! A standard action to draw an arrow from the quiver... I don't remember iffn' earlier versions had that limitation, but I don't recall so, and now I'm wondering iffn' the designers of 3e meant for it to be that way. I can see it being an MEA to retreave your bow/spear/javelin/whatever from the thing, just like a Bag of Holding (it is an MEA from BoH, yes? Or is it a standard action as well?), but to have the quiver part need a standard action seems kinda, well, wrong. :p Sure, you can carry around two quivers, but it just seems less right that way :p Though I do like Hypersmurf's 20+20+20+20 idea. }:)

BTW... say you wanted to load up the javelin part with arrows -- how many you figure you could cram in there? (now those wouldn't be easily accessible, you'd have to move them later to the 'right part of the quiver).

What else do you figure classifies as 'general shape and size' of a javelin? Ditto with 'general shape and size of a longbow'?

Kannik

kreynolds

First Post
Re: ????

Kannik said:
What else do you figure classifies as 'general shape and size' of a javelin? Ditto with 'general shape and size of a longbow'?

Something 'long and pointy' and 'something long and bendy'. :D

0-hr

Starship Cartographer
Petrosian said:
Putting arrows into a haversack is fine, as long as its done carefully and not significant disruption occurs afterward.
I agree completely. The bag will be fine so long as the bearer doesn't do aything foolish like fight for his life, fall down a pit, or leap about without regard to the contents of his backpack....

Shard O'Glase

First Post
once the objects are in the extra dimensional space I don't see how the movement of the doorway like the haversack will effect the objects inside at all. If they didn't peirce the sides when they were put in they just wont peirce the sides IMO.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
You want to hire a pixie building contractor to climb around inside your Haversack wallpapering the extra-dimensional space with something that will prevent accidental tears...

It would have to be fairly light so you didn't cut into your weight allowance too much, so you could still rip the bag if you really tried, but it would allows you to carry your swords and arrows around without worrying too much :)

(If you're rich, you could wallpaper it with Darkwood or Mithral...)

-Hyp.

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
Ki Ryn said:
I agree completely. The bag will be fine so long as the bearer doesn't do aything foolish like fight for his life, fall down a pit, or leap about without regard to the contents of his backpack....
Rav makes his spellcraft check and finds that Ki Ryn casts Irony.

Ie. Good point basically.

Rav

Marshall

First Post
kreynolds said:

EDIT: By the way, whatever you do, don't put your Quiver of Ehlonna into your Heward's Handy Haversack.

OH? Why not? By the same simple illogic you used to state this insanity, there is no mention of a problem with a QofE and a HHH. The Astral Rift you are infering is only applicable to the BoH and the Portable Hole.

BTW: Read the description again

the owner can command the quiver each round to produce any stored items he or she wishes.

Lets see, all 60 arrows, or Bows or Javelins or...

It takes a standard action to switch compartments(If youre being a snooty DM). Once a compartment is selected, you draw from it as a standard quiver.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads