Hextor and Heironeous's common parent?

Thebalor

First Post
Can anyone tell me if it has ever been said who their parent's are? I've always thought it might be St. Cuthbert (for the super lawful-ness) and then either yondalla/ehlonna for heironeous, and Lolth/Wee Jas for Hextor.

Last edited:

laurencio

First Post
It's been said in some places to be Stern Alia. However, I don't think this is "official". I'm not sure if it's ever been mentioned in canon sources.

Green Knight

First Post
Well, in Chainmail, it says that The Shield Mother, Stern Alia, is the mother of the both of them as well as a third brother, Stratis.

What *I* want to know, though, is who are their fathers (Plural. Heironeous and Hextor being half-brothers and all).

S'mon

Legend
Green Knight said:
Well, in Chainmail, it says that The Shield Mother, Stern Alia, is the mother of the both of them as well as a third brother, Stratis.

What *I* want to know, though, is who are their fathers (Plural. Heironeous and Hextor being half-brothers and all).

Well it'll presumably be Oeridian deities, so not St Cuthbert! I'd guess they had a Neutral mother and Good & Evil fathers? The original 1e WoG 1983 set says that Hextor's powers were granted to him by unnamed 'Lords of Evil', BTW, clearly there are beings much older and more powerful than the Greyhawk pantheonic gods.

NLP

First Post
In Tal Meta's excellent write-up of the Greyhawk Gods, he has Erythnul being the boy's parents; and that seems to make sense to me.

I believer there is a link to Tal's material on the Canonfire website, if you cannot find it there then do a search for "Tal Meta" on Google. It will turn up.

Green Knight

First Post
But how can he be their father if they're half-brothers?

Also, Stern Alia is Lawful Neutral. Why would she get involved with a Chaotic Evil god? Lawful anything I can see, but Chaotic?

NLP

First Post
Green Knight said:
But how can he be their father if they're half-brothers?

Also, Stern Alia is Lawful Neutral. Why would she get involved with a Chaotic Evil god? Lawful anything I can see, but Chaotic?
What, you don't think a man can have sex with more than one woman? :)

They could be half-brothers on the father's side, or on the mother's side.

Green Knight

First Post
What, you don't think a man can have sex with more than one woman?

They could be half-brothers on the father's side, or on the mother's side.

But as I posted above, Stern Alia is the mother of both Heironeous and Hextor. Doesn't matter how many women Erythnul's had sex with. Both Heironeous and Hextor can't possibly be his kids. Maybe one, but not both. And I still have a hard time believing that he's the father of Hextor. But that's just me.

Last edited:

Terraism

Explorer
Green Knight said:
But as I posted above, Stern Alia is the mother of both Heironeous and Hextor. Doesn't matter how many women Erythnul's had sex with. Both Heironeous and Hextor can't possibly be his kids. Maybe one, but not both. And I still have a hard time believing that he's the father of Hextor. But that's just me.
I think the problem is that so many folks question the 'canon-ness' of Chainmail - I mean, c'mon; it's Chainmail. Sure, it's set (technically) in Oerth, but really? (Can you tell I'm in the mistrust camp?) Something about our only information coming from that seems a little iffy to me. Ah, well. Personally, I like the idea of St. Cuthbert & Wee Jas (for Hextor, at any rate,) but I realize how unlikely that is considering what we do know.

NLP

First Post
Green Knight said:
But you see, I did not say Alia was their mother. I said Tal Meta has an interesting write-up making Erythnul their father. Those are two entirely different things.

Also, no Greyhawker would consider Chainmail canon just because it was published by WotC; especially considering that it flies in the face of other pieces of canon as far as the Oerth. But to each his own.

Let me just state again that Tal Meta has a very interesting cosmology involving the Greyhawk Gods. If you are looking for a way to have it all make sense, then I suggest you read it.

Maybe one, but not both. And I still have a hard time believing that he's the father of Hextor. But that's just me.
What, you don't think one God of War could father two others?

Last edited:

Remove ads