• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Hidding questions

transtemporal

Explorer
1) Yes, if they have total cover/concealment. Some characters can hide in different circumstances, e.g. wood elves and skulkers
2) They only get the benefit if they can remain hidden up to the point they attack, i.e. if they can sneak around a table to their target, or they can attack from their hiding spot
3) Pickpocketing an item a creature has on their person or an unattended item is a sleight of hand check, not stealth. If you wanted to remain unnoticed while you did it, then the hiding rules apply.
4) Not in combat, but I rule that a unaware creature can be snuck up on without the benefit of cover
5) Practically speaking, I don't think you can hide from hidden creatures because you don't know where they are. You can certainly try but you won't know if you're successful or not until they start stabbing you. If you've ever played an FPS game where another player hides in your hiding spot without seeing you? Same idea.

Last edited:

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
Friends, a rule that for me is very much in charge of the master and generates disagreements in several groups that I know, without doubt is HIDING.
How do you apply the rule in your game?
I'm going to ask you some questions just so I can get a better idea and I ask you for help:
1) Do you let them hide in combat? As?

Depends on the circumstances, but in general if they can describe to me an opportunity to try to hide, then I'll probably allow it, possibly with disadvantage or, more rarely, advantage.

2) If someone is hiding behind a full cover and leaves the corner to attack someone, does he attack directly with advantage (because it's hidden), or can you get a new stealth check?

The first time, almost definitely. After that it will depend on a number of factors. While RAW it says everybody is looking around at everybody else in combat, in reality I would say the chaos of combat would be full of distractions.

Usually, after a creature has popped out to attack, their opponents will have advantage on their Perception check. If you fail your stealth check, then no advantage. After the second time, your opponents are usually moving to eliminate the threat of you ducking behind cover, either moving to a new position where the cover isn't useful, or readying an attack for when you pop out again.

Again, if you can provide a reasonable explanation of how you intend to hide again, I'll probably allow an attempt, but it won't necessarily be easy.

3) How do you apply the rule for stealth? And in terms of handling? .. Do you let someone sneak behind and try to steal a backpack for ex?

Of course. This is a classic example of the skill. It would be easier with a distraction, of course. Again, depending on the circumstances this is readily handled with advantage/disadvantage if needed.

Incidentally, I also look at why advantage/disadvantage applies, and that helps determine which to use. For example, if you're trying to sneak across an empty room, and the only "cover" you have is the fact that the target is not looking in your direction, then you'll have disadvantage on your Stealth check. On the other hand, if the target has some information (such as you having already popped out once to attack), or another reason that it's awareness is heightened, then they will have advantage on their Perception check. I find that advantage on their check is often a bigger bump since it also affects their passive Perception with a flat +5 bonus.

I've gone back and forth with whether there are certain circumstances that I would apply disadvantage to you and advantage to them. They don't stack (you can't have double advantage, or extra disadvantage) but this isn't quite the same thing.

For example, you are trying to be stealthy in plate armor (disadvantage) against a target that knows you are coming (advantage). By allowing both to come into play, it means you still have a chance, however slim, to succeed, instead of ruling outright that it's not possible.

4) Use facing rule (side of vision) to hide?

Don't have a facing (or flanking rule) per se. Again, depends on the circumstances and descriptions. If the target is distracted, then it might give you additional opportunities to attempt to hide. But the Perception check in my mind encompasses peripheral vision, hearing, noticing a shadow, a reflection in a goblet, or just a "hunch."

5) Let someone hiding from hiding using stealth in combat?
Thank you.

Huh? I think I've probably covered this already. Essentially it comes down to determining if there is a reasonable possibility to attempt it, then apply advantage/disadvantage based on the circumstances.

I've written at length in a number of posts how there are plenty of examples in the real world as well as experiments that show that a person's attention and perception can be easily fooled and that we don't notice as much as we think.

In the course of a 6 second round, there's probably a chance that there is an opportunity to try it, it just might not be the optimal circumstances.

To put it a different way, they can't pay attention to that sword swinging at their head and you across the room at the same time. If they are watching you, such as readying an attack for when you pop out again, there's a good chance they may be giving an advantage to somebody else.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads