High Fantasy Modern Storyhour - The Long Road (updated December 7)

Halloween

Scarpedin feels an odd idea in his mind. Wouldn’t it be great, he thinks, if he stopped firing the gun and tried to see if he could aim the barrel at his face? He shouldn’t pull the trigger, of course, but right now it’s much more important that he tries to see if he can aim his gun at his own face. Thankfully, he won’t have to worry if anyone comes near him. They’re his friends.

Robert glances over his shoulder, wondering what the hell Scarpedin is doing, but he realizes he doesn’t have time to worry right now. “Marie,” he says, “something’s wrong with Scarpedin. Can you fix that?”

He senses Marie’s acknowledgment, but he’s busy trying to keep track of the dangers around him. The dark-skinned British telepath has just run past him and beyond the wreckage of the Cadillac toward Scarpedin. Inside the burning car, none of the Rastafarians are moving, and their leader is lying on the ground beside Robert and Dr. Gomez, weakly trying to staunch the flow of blood from his jugular. The doctor seems to be stunned by being so close to a dying man he can’t help, and Robert wishes he had time to console the man.

Just then, however, a woman walks around the back side of the smoking wreck that was the Cadillac, stopping ten feet away from Robert. Short and blonde in a sleeveless dress, she nevertheless looks physically imposing, and she holds a silvery sword pointed at them. Robert, who thinks she looks sort of like an older Renee Zellweger (but in my mind she looks like Denise Robinson, there on the left, Dextra on these boards and business manager for the ENnies), shrugs dismissively as he drops his stun gun and pulls out his pistol. He fires a shot clean into her chest.

She barely flinches, and then charges.

Meanwhile, Scarpedin keeps flinching every time he puts the barrel of the mini-gun to his face. The metal is really hot, and he’s starting to think this wasn’t such a good idea. He sees a guy approaching who looks like Denzel Washington, and is mildly curious why the guy is reaching for the trigger of the mini-gun, but just then he gets fed up with burning himself.

“Hey,” he says, tilting the gun’s barrel awkwardly toward the man’s face, “does this thing feel really hot to you?”

The man pulls away out of reach of the gun, then glares intently at Scarpedin. It’s then that Scarpedin realizes he should close his eyes and stand still. That’s probably the best thing for him to do. For reasons he can’t figure out, though, a primal part of him forces out a mutter – “f*cking, cheating elves” – while the rest of his body obeys the suggestion.

Then he hears, “Foolish man,” as Marie chides him.

His mind starts to clear as the voodoo priestess imposes herself between his mind and the telepath’s will. Scarpedin realizes just in time that the man is pointing a pistol at the back of his head, and he ducks to the side as the gun goes off next to his ear. For a moment he considers trying to use the mini-gun on the guy, but decides after nearly blowing his own head off it’s time to go back to the old stand-by. He drops the mini-gun with a heavy clatter, then draws his sword.

The British telepath pulls a silenced pistol, but as he tries to fire it, Scarpedin comes in swinging.

Thirty feet away near the morgue loading dock, Robert takes a sword to his arm as he again fires at the blonde woman, again to no effect. He bites down his pain and lashes out with his straight razor. The woman, not expecting the attack, gets slashed across her cheek. She and Robert back away, each clutching their wounds.

“Ow,” Robert says, slipping into his helpless façade. “Hey, don’t hurt me, okay? What’s going on-?”

He was hoping to get her off guard, but she isn’t waiting. She lunges at him, misses, then redoubles her lunge and makes a wide swing, slashing Robert on his thigh. He curses and tries to go for her throat, but she kicks away and parries his attack, managing to slash him across his left forearm as she retreats.

Robert is feeling desperate. He looks down at Dr. Gomez for help, but the man is insanely enough trying to stop the bleeding from the fallen Rastafarian’s neck. He looks away to Scarpedin, just in time to see him slash horizontally at the waist of the telepath. His sword goes straight through the man, but the man simply vanishes, leaving just wisps behind. Scarpedin is preoccupied poking at the ground with his sword.

Robert yells for him to help, then backs away, trying to keep his distance from the swordswoman. She chases after him, and he runs, trying to head to the other side of the wreckage of the Cadillac. He manages to stay ahead of her, and when he’s about thirty feet ahead of her he looks back and sees that she has stopped. Back at the loading dock, the door to the morgue opens inexplicably, then shuts. The blonde woman glances at Robert, then back to the door, and then she makes a run for it.

The brief runaround, though, has given Scarpedin the time he needs to set the mini-gun back up. He pulls down on the trigger, and sprays the woman with the better part of fifty bullets. One moment she’s completely out in the open, and then she’s torn to bits.

From the other side of the ramp of the loading dock, Dr. Gomez stands up briefly, sees what’s left of the woman, then gulps.

Robert trots over, a bit incensed. “What do you think you were doing, helping that guy while I was getting hacked to pieces?”

Dr. Gomez smiles incongruously. “I thought you might want someone to interrogate after the fight was over. Since, y’know, you killed everyone else.”

He sounds like he’s joking when he says it, but Robert chalks it up to him being a mortician. Robert shakes his head, trying to get a handle on what just happened.

“Wait,” he says, “I saw someone open the door to the morgue.” He looks at Scarpedin. “Where’d the other guy go?”

Scarpedin shrugs. “I cut him in half, and he disintegrated.”

Robert cocks his head. “Is that something that normally happens?”

Scarpedin shrugs. “Eh, I’m a little rusty.”

Robert bites his lip, unsure whether it’s worth asking Scarpedin questions ever again. “Marie? Where’d the guy go? Is he invisible?”

Marie’s voice sounds woozy. “The long shadow man, he stunned me, then made your eyes not see him.”

Robert rolls his hand impatiently. “You could’ve just said ‘yes.’ Okay, Scarpedin, stay here with the doctor. I’m going in.”

Scarpedin shrugs. “Whatever man. Hope you don’t shoot yourself.”

Robert hurries inside the morgue, trying to be stealthy, but he hears someone running and sees the interior door swinging closed as if someone just headed into the main hospital. Robert is about to give chase when he reconsiders, wondering if that’s just a mental trick to make him go the wrong way.

Then he sees Terry.

Robert Black is no stranger to corpses – he’s made a few, after all – but Terry is the first person he might have called a friend who he has seen dead. There is of course the entry wound just off-center of his forehead, but that is almost clean compared to the gore on his chest. It looks like someone took a saw and tore through his ribs to his internal organs, and left a crater in the middle. For a moment, Robert feels shock, and then he realizes Terry’s heart has been cut out of his chest.

He grabs the bracelet off Terry’s wrist, tucks it into his pocket, and runs for the loading dock. He shouts as he’s pushing open the door to the back lot, “He’s on the run. We need a car!”

In the middle of the back lot, stopped between Scarpedin’s parked motorcycle and the burning wreckage of the Rastafarians’ Cadillac, is a police car. Dr. Gomez is sitting in the back seat, and Scarpedin standing next to the open driver’s door. The cop is on the ground, handcuffed and asleep.

“You have a police car,” Robert says. He somehow manages not to make it a question as he forces down the rational part of his mind and just accepts what he sees. “That’s great! How’d you get it?”

Scarpedin shrugs. “Hurry up man. I’m gonna take my bike. Let’s catch this mind-f*cking f*cker.”

* * *​

Before leaving, Robert is guided by Marie to pick up an amulet that was worn by the swordswoman. It’s a bit bloody, but Robert takes it, then hops into the police car. He convinces Scarpedin not to split up, and the man takes a few seconds to dump all the weapons and ammo on his bike into the trunk of the cruiser. He also grabs the suitcase the Rastafarian leader had and puts it in the back seat, all while Robert watches him with barely-masked impatience. Only when he’s done consolidating the loot into one vehicle does Scarpedin take a seat in shotgun, and as they drive off he is trying to set up the mini-gun so he can shoot out the window. Dr. Gomez just sits in the back seat with a strange curiosity on his face, and Robert doesn’t have time to tell the man to get out.

They speed off, Marie guiding them after the SUV that the British telepath has stolen, and it’s only a few blocks out from the hospital when the police cruiser catches up with the slower SUV. The telepath must sense them coming, because he tries to get into Robert’s mind, but Marie protects them. As Robert pulls up alongside the SUV and Scarpedin lines up for a point-blank shot from his mini-gun, the SUV brakes hard and dozens of red hot bullets chew through empty space, tearing chunks out of the curbside. Thankfully they’re not near any residential areas.

Robert takes in the lay of the road, and sees there’s no easy way for the SUV to get around them without going into a ditch or a concrete median, so he turns and stops the car so it is sideways across two lanes, with Scarpedin and his mini-gun facing the oncoming vehicle. The telepath’s car slows quickly and tries to cut across the median of the road, but even and SUV can’t get over the barrier. It crashes to a stop, presenting its passenger side to Scarpedin’s aim.

Scarpedin fires, tearing the SUV to pieces. It starts to flame, and Robert tells him to stop shooting. They don’t know why the telepath stole Terry’s heart, and he doesn’t want to risk ruining everything by having Terry’s heart destroyed in an explosion.

Scarpedin gets out of the police cruiser, holding a police shotgun up as he rushes for the crashed SUV. Robert keeps his distance, covering the area with his pistol, hoping to make sure the telepath doesn’t make a run for it. Scarpedin gets to the SUV and pulls open the obliterated passenger door, seeing that the driver’s door is hanging open, and there’s no body. In the back seat he sees a bloody duffel bag, and he grabs it quickly and runs to get away from the car, which he expects to explode because that’s what always happens in the movies.

Scarpedin shouts that the telepath got away, and Robert guesses the man must have used magic to turn invisible again. He gets as close as he dares to the driver’s side of the burning car, spotted a wretched trail of bloody footprints, heading toward the nearby ditch. In the meager light of street lamps and flashlights, Robert thinks he might be able to track the telepath, but while he’s in the process of looking for blood in the grass, a car approaches and slows down as its driver sees the wreck in the middle of the road.

Both Robert and Scarpedin can see the driver dialing on a cel phone while simultaneously turning his car around and getting the hell away. They have to content themselves with having gotten Terry’s heart back and at least wounding the telepath, and they high-tail it before the cops show up. The SUV never explodes.

They’re too worried to head back to the hospital, which police will no doubt be heading to, so they have to leave Scarpedin’s bike behind. Robert picks a direction and drives.

Scarpedin is in the back seat with Dr. Gomez, a bunch of voodoo supplies, and the dufflebag that holds Terry’s heart.

“Marie?” Robert asks, “what were those guys up to? Why did they want Terry’s heart?”

The voice of Marie replies, “If I could ask their spirits, I could know better, but the tools in this case, they have been prepared for two types of rituals.”

Robert says, “Make your best guess. We’re not going back.”

“One, child,” Marie intones, “would take the boy’s heart and destroy it, and so destroy his spirit so he could not rise again. And the other, by the blessings of the loa, is the same ritual we were to perform, to bind the boy’s spirit.”

“Sh*t,” Scarpedin says. “What did they want with Terry? Terry, man, talk to me.”

“I have not yet performed the ritual,” Marie says. “Help me, foolish man.”

Robert glances back occasionally as he drives. Scarpedin is holding feathers and strange sticks in odd positions, and even Dr. Gomez gets involved, repeating a Creole prayer over the bloody heart in the dufflebag. Long minutes pass, and Robert finds himself lost in the ruined nightscape of New Orleans. It is when he is driving through a neighborhood that looks completely deserted, still with no power from the hurricane two months ago, that Marie whispers into his ear.

“Child,” she says, “hand us the bracelet, and pray.”

Robert hands Scarpedin the bracelet.

The car begins to slow, and its headlights flicker. The engine does not gutter, but it feels like the vehicle is struggling to keep moving. The air becomes thick with the smell of rot and the sea, and suddenly all the lights in the car go dead, and Robert is driving blind in an impenetrable darkness. He almost presses on the brake, but a hesitation grips him.

And then, just as suddenly, the lights are back on, and the car seems to surge with speed. All down the road, street lights burst on, stretching away, pointing out the path to take, and in the corner of Robert’s eye he thinks he can see short people watching from inside the ruined houses along the road. Robert presses on the gas, nervous regardless of if they’re ghosts, fey, or just squatters.

“Um, Terry?” he asks.

There’s nothing.

He looks back. Scarpedin has a smug smile on his face.

“How’s it feel to be dead?” Scarpedin asks.

Robert frowns and grabs the bracelet out of Scarpedin’s hand, and the moment he touches the bracelet he can see Terry sitting in the passenger seat next to him, casually spectral, his arm hanging around the head rest as he turns to reply to Scarpedin. Terry looks at Robert and smiles.

“Holy-,” Terry starts. “Robert, god damn man, you guys did it. I mean, I’m dead, but I can see you again. This is amazing.”

Robert gives Terry a hint of a smile. “Good to have you back. We’ll have time to rave about how cool we are that we brought you back from the brink of the beyond later. Right now, Terry, let me know: can you do the whole planeshift thing to Gaia?”

“Yeah, pretty sure,” Terry says. “Why is that so important?”

Robert glances at Dr. Gomez in the back seat. “Oh, no reason. I just wanted to make sure you still had your magic. Scarpedin, talk to Terry for a bit.”

Robert hands the bracelet back to Scarpedin – he can no longer see or hear Terry – and then he turns his attention to Dr. Gomez. While Scarpedin barrages Terry’s ghost with questions about the afterlife, Robert drives and talks to Dr. Gomez, thanking him for helping them stop the criminals and convincing the man it’d be a good idea to keep helping them, especially since Robert’s bleeding pretty badly from multiple sword wounds. Dr. Gomez agrees, and he tells them they can come to his house for the evening.

Robert listens to Scarpedin interrogate Terry as he drives to Dr. Gomez’s house, but his mind is busy planning how best to take revenge on Adrien Lee.

It’s nearly 3 a.m. The streets are nearly empty, but nevertheless, it’s odd that every stop light they come to is green.

Last edited:

Zustiur

Explorer
I'm confused. You only posted today... but I've already read it?
Did we lose some posts?
The last thing I seem to remember the party had just reached Savanah.

Zustiur.

You're a little out of the loop. The boards crashed, and we lost everything from December to May, so I'm reposting, and using the spare time to write other things (like submissions to Dragon magazine, a cartoon script, and more episodes of the storyhour).

Halloween

Robert and Scarpedin spend the night in the police cruiser, parked in Dr. Gomez's garage. They occasionally catch glimpses of a party going on inside the main house, but aside from the doctor's wife, no one else knows they're there. The doctor's wife is dressed as Morticia from the Addam's Family. On a hunch, they ask the doctor his name. Adam Gomez.

Over the next hour, Dr. Gomez and his wife tend to Robert and Scarpedin, not asking any questions. The doctor performs minor surgery on Robert's wounds and tends to a few injuries Scarpedin still has from earlier in the day, while his wife brings them all the candy they could want, joking that they have the best "fugitives from the law" costume she's seen all night.

Robert and Scarpedin talk to Terry a lot, trying to make sure they understand the situation clearly. Terry is completely positive that Adrien Lee knew what he was doing and killed him in cold blood, and that Belladonna not only did nothing to stop it, but practically gave her approval. A few tests reveal that while Terry can still sense magic, and is pretty sure he'll be able to plane shift if needed, he can't seem to use any of the other types of magic he could do when he was alive -- healing, illusions, some attack and defense. He can't even levitate things with telekinesis.

Robert's high begins to fade. When he started this mission a few hours ago, he was planning to arm up, attack Adrien Lee, get revenge, and then die. After what had happened with Walter, he had not really been eager to sit around and let innocents be harmed by people like . . . well, like him. But now that he has managed to accomplish something so bizarre as bringing Terry back as a ghost, he's reconsidering his martyrdom plan. In a way, that's a good thing, because he realizes he actually feels like what he's doing has some meaning. But now he also has enough time to ponder, to remember what he has done because he thought it was right, and to think about what really separates him from a murderer like Mr. Lee.

It's nearly 5 am, and he's starting to drift off to sleep. The Gomezes have gone into their house and to bed. Scarpedin is still chatting incessantly with Terry, asking him whether ghosts get sleepy, but the man's voice has a nice droning quality to it that is helping his eyes get heavy.

Then his phone rings. The number is blocked.

Robert struggles to shake off his sleepiness, and tells Scarpedin to be quiet. He pulls out the police radio, sets it to transmit, and answers his cell on speakerphone. He is greeted on the other end by Adrien Lee. There's something strange in the man's voice; he sounds detached, neither smug nor nervous, and Robert's attempts to goad the man into admitting anything he has done wrong all fail.

Adrien Lee suggests that what has happened this evening has been a terrible misunderstanding, the result of information given to him by a source he has now learned had its own agenda. In short, he says, he was deceived, and that someone he trusted betrayed him and an accident befell that hurt Terry. Mr. Lee then says that he has Terry under his protection now, but that the boy is recovering and cannot speak.

So much has happened, it takes Robert a moment to realize that Adrien Lee is trying to con him, and that the man doesn't realize that Robert knows Terry is dead. Which is strange, because it suggests he doesn't know about what happened at the morgue. Robert is curious, but nervous. He asks what Adrien Lee wants.

Over the evening, Lee says, he has learned through his daughter Belladonna that Robert, John, and Scarpedin were discussing some sort of retribution against him. He offers to meet with Robert in the morning, so he can see that Terry is safe. All he wants is to clear up any confusion. His brother-in-law's house was already attacked tonight, and he just wants to make sure no one else gets hurt.

Robert takes a few seconds, then agrees. He doesn't know many landmarks, so he says for Mr. Lee to meet him at a Starbucks near the St. Louis Cemetery. Robert will come alone, and Mr. Lee should only come with Terry. A moment later, Robert adds, 'and Belladonna.'

Mr. Lee chuckles, saying he's amused that Robert is treating this like some sort of prisoner exchange. But he promises to be there.

As soon as Lee agrees, Robert turns off his phone and the radio, and turns to Scarpedin.

"Okay, that made negative sense. Help me figure this out."

"I dunno man, I was kinda planning to go to sleep. The sugar high from all that candy's wearing off."

Robert glares at him the way a mom looks at a disobedient child before she starts giving him a well-deserved beating.

"Just do it," he says. "Now, he doesn't know that we know Terry's dead. He definitely doesn't know we actually have Terry, which means he didn't have anything to do with the stuff at the morgue. Unless he does know what we know, and he's just trying to throw us off and make us think he's got bad intel. Which means he's expecting us to lay an ambush for him, which means it won't be him there. Right?"

"Yeah." Scarpedin holds the bracelet near his eye. "Y'know, this thing has all kinds of weird writing on it."

"So," Robert continues, "if he's going to have someone else there, that means he wants to ambush us too, which means we shouldn't be there. But he has to figure we'll figure this out, and that neither one of us is going to be there. So what does he want?"

"Hey," Scarpedin says, "Terry thinks maybe we ought to ditch the cop car, in case the cops were able to track the radio transmission."

Robert nods, and they sneak out of the Gomezes' house, Robert still talking to himself.

"If he actually does want to make peace . . . that makes no sense, because he knows Terry's dead. So he must want to capture or kill us. If he knows that we know Terry's dead, then he knows we won't fall for it, so he has to be banking on us wanting revenge. If he thinks we don't know Terry's dead, then we wouldn't want revenge, so we're not a threat, so why would he risk killing us in a public place? Scarpedin, does any of this make sense to you?"

Scarpedin is unfazed. "Sh*t, Robert, half the stuff you say doesn't make sense to me. I just want to know, y’know, are we gonna kill him?"

"Terry," Robert asks, "do you have any reason for us not to kill Adrien Lee?"

Robert watches as Scarpedin listens to the response from Terry's ghost in the bracelet. Scarpedin shrugs. "He says he has a few reasons why not to, but his overall consensus is, 'kill the bastard.'"

Robert nods. He's glad he's not the only one who's not one-hundred percent sure on this thing.

They head for a nearby intersection and wait for a taxi. Robert pulls out his phone and starts calling the Bureau. He just wishes he knew what Mr. Lee was planning.

* * *​

In a distant part of the city, a body and repair shop flickers with light as Nathan tries to fix the damage caused to his car by a glancing mini-gun hit and a frag grenade. His vision is filled with the flare of a welding torch when the vision comes.

He's drinking his morning Starbucks coffee, looking out the door at the nearby cemetery, when he sees a woman enter, next to a man dressed all in black. The man's face is concealed, and the woman's hands are tied, but no one seems to notice. They sit down at a nearby table, the man puts a briefcase under his chair, and then the bomb goes off, obliterating the store and killing a dozen or more people.

Nathan snaps out of the portent, the flare of the dreamed explosion fading into the flame of the torch. Nathan turns off the torch, stands, and stretches, then checks his watch. He lets out a breath, then shakes his head in bemusement.

"Awfully unusual number of bombs going off these days, I'd say."

He heads to get his laptop. He has a few hours before the breakfast rush, and there's research to be done.

End of Eighth Session

Halloween
Nearly dawn

Scarpedin closes his cell phone and shakes his head. “Didn’t work.”

“That’s what we get for using one of your plans,” Robert says. “I guess they arrested him, huh?”

Scarpedin nods, and Robert shrugs as if to say, ‘what can you do?’

They had called Whitey and sent him to recover Scarpedin’s bike from the hospital, but the cops apparently were still interested in a scene where heavy military weaponry was used. Now the two men are hiding in a motel room, all the lights off. The place is quiet, just two men, two ghosts, and an arsenal of unlicensed firearms.

Way down yonder in New Orleans,
In the land of the dreamy scenes,
There’s a Garden of Eden. You know what I mean.

Creole babies with flashin’ eyes
Softly whisper their tender sighs
Then stop. Won’t you give your lady fair a little smile?
Stop. Ya bet your life you’ll linger there, a little while.

We’ve got Heaven right here on Earth,
With those beautiful queens
Way down yonder in New Orleans.

– “Way Down Yonder in New Orleans,” Louis Armstrong​

“If we’re not dead tomorrow,” Robert says, “we can break him out, right Terry? Over to ‘Gaia,’ into the prison, then back here to ‘Terra,’ then back out once we have Whitey.”

Robert has to hold the bracelet to hear Terry’s ghost’s answer.

“Maybe,” Terry says. “I still haven’t tested it. I feel like I can, but I don’t know how often.”

“Let’s not waste it then,” Robert says. “We’re going to need a getaway route if this screws up. We can always try the same trick to walk into Lee’s mansion and kill him in his sleep.”

Marie LeVeau’s voice intrudes, deep and wary. “That would not work, my child. His gris-gris man, whose Christian name is Tom Jones, has protected the house against spirits, and you could not walk over from the land of the loa.”

“Ah,” Robert says.

He’s glad she told him that. One of his plans had been to walk into Mr. Lee’s place, drop a grenade, and have Terry plane shift him out. Robert half-smiles at having dodged that bullet.

“Oh, Marie,” he says, holding up the necklace he took off the swordswoman, “could you do-”

“No child,” Marie says, and she makes a hushing noise. “The sun rises, and the day of spirits ends. I must leave you now. It was a pleasure to help. You children have brought a bit of magic back to this dying old city.”

“Stick around,” Scarpedin says. “Don’t let no stupid sunshine tell you what to do.”

Marie laughs. “I’ll see you two boys again in a year.”

Robert shrugs. “Marie, you’ve done a lot for us, and I don’t like to leave favors unfulfilled, so I’ll try to swing by next Halloween, assuming I’m not, y’know,” he laughs, “dead.”

Marie laughs. “Oh no, boys. I will be seeing you.”

And they hear no more of her.

Sunlight peeks in through the open window. Outside, the sky is a dim blue, clear of clouds. The air is warm, and is full with the scents of last night’s city-wide parties.

Scarpedin stands, checks his cell phone for the time, then lifts their sniper rifle and takes a quick look down the street from his second-floor vantage point. A black van is pulling to a stop on the side of the road a half-block from the Starbucks, and two men in black suits that Scarpedin recognizes from his trip to Gaia emerge.

“Bureau’s here,” he says. “And John. So what do we do again?”

Robert relaxes and lies down on the bed. “Nothing. I got everybody to come here, and I’m tired. Let them figure it out. Wake me up if anything interesting happens.”

“You mean when Mr. Lee shows up, right?”

“No, when Santa Claus shows up. Of course I mean when Mr. Lee shows up. Except, dammit, now I’m going to be thinking about whether Santa Claus does actually exist in this stupid world. I’m going to sleep.”

“Terry,” Scarpedin asks, holding the bracelet on his wrist to his ear like he’s listening to a broken watch, “is Santa real?”

Robert hisses for Scarpedin to be quiet.

Scarpedin pulls the sniper rifle back in the room and shrugs. Time passes.

* * *​

John, on a bench across the street from the Starbucks, smokes.

In the middle of the night Robert had called Raine and gotten the Bureau all geared up for a major operation, telling them Adrien Lee assassinated Terry and that whoever hired him might be responsible for severing the connection between Terra and Gaia. When John got wind of it, he volunteered to help. Not all of the Bureau’s people are yet in good enough condition to assist after being stuck on Gaia for a week, so every little bit helps.

So that, he ponders, is why he’s sitting at a bus stop, having to turn down each bus that comes by, smoking a cigarette while the city around him reeks of . . . ash. He know it should smell like rot or beer or burnt pumpkins, but as always, he only smells ash. That doesn’t bother him, though. He expects it.

What bothers him is that Robert and Scarpedin are alive, after they went on what should have been a suicide mission last night to try to kill Adrien Lee. John wants to see Lee get the punishment he deserves, and in hindsight, having learned that their mission wasn’t suicidal, John wishes he had gone along.

That, he thinks, brooding and smoking, is why he’s really sitting at a bus stop. He wants to kill Adrien Lee, and he knows Robert and Scarpedin must be planning some way to kill the man, but the Bureau needs him alive.

It gives John a headache. But that doesn’t bother him. He expects pain.

He just hopes the Bureau won’t screw this up.

* * *​

It’s early, and Belladonna wishes she could be hung over. It’s the day after Halloween, and last night should have been a party. But she’s still in shock from seeing her father kill Terry.

The car stops inside her father’s compound, and the driver lets Belladonna out. The place is riddled with guards in casual clothes and armpit holsters, which she approves of in light of all the chaos of last night. It is only now sinking in for her how confused her father must have been last night, since he had actually allowed her to sleep in her own home, with minimal protection. Rumors said they had found bombs in Uncle Maurice’s mansion, and when she talked to her father an hour ago he sounded uncomfortable.

A few stern glares at the guards gets her into the house despite the heightened security, and she makes her way to her father’s study. The guard outside the door doesn’t deter her, and she’s already opening the door before she realizes that all the men here work for her uncle, not her father.

“Dada,” she says.

Her father sits behind a desk, a classical oil lamp sitting beside his laptop computer, both illuminating his face as he types away. The rest of the large room – its antiques, book cases, and cabinets filled with emergency small arms – lies in darkness.

“Just a moment, daughter,” her father says. “You look distressed, and I don’t want my business to distract me from helping you.”

But, Belladonna realizes, he hasn’t looked up at her since she came in.

“What’s wrong, dada?” She starts toward him, determined. “I didn’t ask you why last night – I was too shocked-”

She hesitates, remembering looking at her costume this morning, and the stains from Terry’s blood.

“Dada,” she says, “I need to know why you did it. I know what you do, but this isn’t like you.”

Her father frowns and keeps typing. After a minute, he clicks a few times, then closes the laptop. Now only the lantern light keeps away the darkness.

“Donna-Belle,” he says, “you remember how Dr. Jones would sometimes put charms on you to protect you, and he would tell you not to resist? I need you to do that for me now.”

“Why? What’s going on?”

He glares at her. “Are you going to disobey your father? Do as you’re told.”

Belladonna shakes her head. “This is wrong, dada. Something’s wrong. Where are all your guards?”

Her father suddenly goes stiff. Belladonna looks around nervously, and she thinks she can see something in the shadows of the room. She reaches for one of her derringers and is about to run for the exit when she feels the man’s will sweep across her, feeling like someone is tugging at every inch of her body, trying to force her to move. She resists, her anger at all the troubles she has dealt with these past three days giving her the strength to break free of the compulsion. Firing a quick shot into the shadows she runs for the door.

“Help,” she shouts. “Someone’s in here with my father!”

She pulls open the door and then comes short when the guard outside puts the barrel of a pistol to her chest. After a moment of fear she sneers and drops her gun.

“Who do you work for?” she hisses.

The guard just smiles and pushes her back into the room, then closes the door. In the far corner on the desk, the lamp is blown out, and she feels the man’s will creeping upon her in the dark.

* * *​

An hour before the Bureau gets set up at the Starbucks, Nathan is slowing to a stop in a residential neighborhood across town. He doublechecks the address on the mailbox, then parks his car and gets out.

He walks up to the door, sliding on his black sunglasses and adjusting his hair after the long evening.

Outside the front door he checks his phone for the time – 6:30 am – then smiles and rings the doorbell.

After a minute, he rings the doorbell again.

The street is completely lifeless at this time of morning, and the air is chill, but Nathan keeps his confident smile on. He feels a bit peckish, and wonders if he’ll be able to get something from the Starbucks after he keeps it from blowing up.

From inside he hears a disgruntled voice telling him to hold on.

Nathan sighs and blinks, repressing a yawn. He straightens his back, checks his tie in the reflection of the nearest window, then smiles directly at the peephole.

The door opens slowly. A security chain pulls tight. Through the crack Nathan sees a sleepy eye, and below it a coffee mug.

The man takes a sip, then asks, “Who are you?”

“My name is Nathaniel Beckford. Good morning. If I may inquire sir, are you Sergeant Jobe Bundholm of the New Orleans Police Department?”

“Retired, but yeah. You’re English?”

“Yes, I am.” Nathan smiles, always amused that Americans feel the need to verify this.

“Mr. Bundholm,” he continues, “I apologize for coming to your house at such an early hour, but I have an urgent job and I need your help.”

“My help?” Jobe moves a bit to get a different view through the door. “Are you FBI?”

“No sir,” Nathan says. “I’m a psychic.”

Jobe Bundholm blinks twice, then sips his coffee. Nathan takes this as a sign to continue.

He asks, “May I buy you breakfast and discuss the specifics? It is rather urgent, and I’m willing to pay you a thousand dollars for your assistance.”

From inside, a whiny woman’s voice shouts, “Joe! Who the hell’s at the door?”

Jobe Bundholm grimaces.

Nathan smiles sympathetically. “Wife?”

Jobe nods and laughs. “We bought all this candy, and got no trick or treaters. The ball and chain’s a little pissed. You want some?”

“Oh, no, I’m quite fine. Mr. Bundholm, if you’d be willing to come along, we could perhaps discuss this some place free from your no doubt otherwise sweet and lovely wife.”

“Joe! Who’s ringing the doorbell at this time of the morning?”

Jobe grumbles, then nods. “A thousand bucks? McDonald's good for you?”

Nathan nods. “I can wait while you get dressed, but-”

The door closes, then a moment later reopens wider. Jobe Bundholm is fully dressed, though his clothes are wrinkled. Nathan can’t help but notice he looks like Carroll O'Connor, who played Chief Gillespie and Archie Bunker.

A little defensively, Jobe says, “I slept on the couch last night.”

Nathan nods nonjudgmentally, then directs Mr. Bundholm to his car.

“What’s this all about?” Jobe asks.

“As I understand it, Mr. Bundholm, you are trained in demolitions and received multiple commendations for your work in that field when on the police force. Is that correct?”

Jobe nods as he gets into Nathan’s car. “What’s this all about?”

Nathan gets into the driver’s seat and starts the engine.

“I need you to disarm a bomb for me.”

“You planted a bomb?”

“Oh, no,” Nathan says disarmingly. “I had a vision. The bomb is at a Starbucks.”

“Ha.” Jobe leans back, his mouth open. After a moment he says, “You’re serious about this psychic thing, boy?”

“Quite,” Nathan says.

And they move, driving through a city slowly waking up from a dream-like Halloween.

November 1, 2005
7:30 am

“Yo, Robot,” Scarpedin says. “Santa’s here!”

Robert mutters something vulgar from beneath his pillow. Scarpedin is undeterred, and he keeps yelling at Robert until the man sits up and comes to the window, rubbing his eyes.

“Take a look at this, killer,” Scarpedin says.

Robert peers through the sniper scope, and recognizes Nathan’s BMW, with rough patches of unpainted metal – the remnants of bodywork done to repair bullet holes. The car is only half-visible, parked down the street from the Starbucks, unobtrusive. A quick sweep of the area shows that of the Bureau, no one, not even John, has spotted it yet.

“How the hell’d you spot that?” Robert says.

Scarpedin looks offended. “You don’t understand the level of restraint required for a bored man with a sniper rifle. Anyway, what’s Nathan doing here?”

“Do you think he sold out to Mr. Lee?” Robert says. “Oh, wait, John probably called him.”

“We can’t trust him,” Scarpedin says. “He’s British.”

“Scarpedin, you’re some sort of knight of the round table. That makes you British.”

Scarpedin shrugs in acceptance.

“Quick,” Robert asks, “what’s John’s number? I need to make sure he called Nathan and that we don’t have a third party gonna f*ck everything up.”

“John doesn’t have a cell phone.”

Robert sighs. After a moment he grumbles and starts to call Raine, intending to get a Bureau agent to hand John a cell phone. “Man needs to get into the twenty-first century.”

A man in a black suit comes up to the bus stop and hands John a cell phone, then nods and hurries back to his concealed location. The phone rings almost immediately, and John listens to Robert berate him briefly before getting to the point. John frowns and sighs.

“Nathan? No, I didn’t call him. I didn’t have a phone until just now.”

John cranes his neck to try to get a good view through the windows of the Starbucks, but just then a pair of cars, far too fancy for the neighborhood, pull up across the street. John takes cover, then whispers into his shoulder radio.

“They’re here,” he says.

Over his earpiece, Raine says, “Be on guard. Remember, we need him alive, and we need zero profile on this operation.”

More chatter fills his ear, but he’s distracted when he sees just who’s getting out of the car. Over the phone he hears Robert’s reaction too, and the man does not sound pleased.

Jobe Bundholm is sipping his tall brazilian caramel mocha latte as he eats an egg McMuffin, while Nathan considers his vision. He needs to be on the look-out for anyone with a briefcase, or any pair with a man and a woman.

Outside, two black cars pull up at the curb, and the doors open. Out steps Adrien Lee, wearing a five-thousand dollar suit and holding a twenty-dollar briefcase, and then beside him comes his daughter Belladonna, wearing the sexiest outfit Nathan has seen in recent memory.

“I don’t think they’re here for the coffee,” he says to himself.

Jobe looks up and hums in curiosity. Nathan smiles to him reassuringly.

“I’m fairly certain, Mr. Bundholm, that the man with the bomb is about to come in. I’ll distract him if I can. Are you ready?”

Jobe takes a gulp of his latte, cringes at the heat, then nods.

The door opens, and Nathan is about to stand and greet Belladonna. But even though she looks directly at him, she directs her father to a table in the middle of the room, and the only reaction she has at his presence is an odd, rather meaningful look in her eyes. Nathan can’t help but think it’s a plea. The father and daughter sit down silently without ordering, and Mr. Lee places the suitcase at his feet.

Nathan concentrates, sending out his mind to try to feel what Belladonna is thinking, but he cannot get in. It feels like someone else is already there, and Nathan nearly is spotted by the second presence before he withdraws his psychic intrusion. There is much more to this situation than Nathan had originally guessed, but he doesn’t know how long he has until the bomb goes off.

“Belladonna!” he shouts. He stands up, arms wide and cheerful as he slowly approaches the table. “I didn’t expect to see you here today! What’s going on? Who is this?”

The stiffness in Belladonna’s posture fades slightly, but when she speaks her tone is nervous.

“Nathan,” she says, “you shouldn’t be here. My father and I are here on . . . very important business. Maybe you should leave.”

“Oh yes, I remember,” Nathan says, “you’re here to meet a young man, which is why you’re so well dressed, but your father is very possessive?”

Belladonna frowns angrily, and says, “No.”

“You’re going shopping in this wonderfully run-down part of town?”

“No,” Belladonna says.

Nathan thinks he sees the faintest smile struggle onto Belladonna’s face. She is thankful to see him, he knows, but he doesn’t know how to free her from whatever compulsion holds her.

Nathan sees Jobe Bundholm in the corner of his eye, crawling across the ground toward the Lees’ table. It looks like the motion is starting to attract Belladonna and her father’s attention, but Nathan slaps his hand on the table.

“Yes!” he shouts. “I can’t believe I forgot! It’s your father’s birthday! Coffee barrista, get this man-. No, get everyone here a cup of whatever they care to drink, on me! Nothing is too good for the father of my dear friend Belladonna!”

Belladonna stiffens again, and now Adrien Lee moves. Nathan guesses that one person must be controlling the both of them.

“Who are you?” Mr. Lee says, his voice raw and angry.

“Nathaniel Beckford,” Nathan says. “I gave your daughter a ride from Texas.”

Mr. Lee’s eyes unfocus slightly and roll up for a moment, but then the man leans back nervously. “You’re the psychic.”

Nathan nods, but before he can speak he feels something try to grip his mind and take command of him. Nathan shrugs off the compulsion easily, then reaches out smoothly and takes a cup of coffee from the barrista’s tray as she walks by. He sips and smirks to Adrien Lee.

“Happy birthday,” he says, keeping the man’s attention focused on him.

“What’s going on down there?” Robert asks over the phone.

“Y’know,” John says, “I really have no idea.”

He draws on his cigarette.

“I can’t read lips too well, but it looks like he’s leading everyone in the shop in a round of the happy birthday song. Wait, something’s happening. A guy just stood up out of nowhere.”

“Done,” Jobe says as he stands.

He holds out a small black cylinder, and tucks a pair of wire cutters into his pocket.

“I took out the battery, and cut the detonation line. Bomb’s disarmed.”

The barrista turns in curiosity. “Bomb?”

Adrien Lee is looking down at the suitcase on the floor at his feet. It lies open, with a professionally-disarmed bomb sitting out in the clear view of everyone in the room. The barrista sees it too, as do several patrons who are still singing, ‘How old are you?’ The room goes quiet.

“No one panic,” Nathan says. “I have the situation under control.”

He takes the battery from Jobe’s hand and stamps it on the ground while everyone watches nervously.

He has only a moment’s warning as Adrien Lee’s demeanor shifts from angry to coldly murderous. The man pulls a gun and aims for Nathan’s chest, and in the same moment Belladonna screams, Jobe ducks for cover, and the barrista grabs Mr. Lee’s arm and deflects the shot so it misses Nathan’s heart.

Inside the Starbucks, the breakfast crowd panics and runs shrieking for the door, while outside the Bureau sounds the alert and begins to rush in. Amid the chaos, Nathan takes a moment to savor another vision averted. He ducks, grabs the briefcase, and runs for the door along with the throng. He hears gunshots and yelling from Belladonna and her father, but he knows he needs to keep this bomb away from Adrien Lee and the telepath controlling him.

Nathan runs out into the street, intending to head for his car. There are many people scattered around him, so his pace is irregular, which saves his life. The sniper rifle shot aimed for his heart instead catches him in the shoulder, the street roars with the retort of a hypersonic bullet. Nathan cries out in pain, but he’s drowned out by the even greater screams from the terrified crowd.

As he runs for the cover of a nearby car, Nathan wishes that his visions would be a bit more forthcoming with details in the future.

November 1, 2005
7:35 am

The Starbucks is empty except for Belladonna, her father, the bomb disarmer, and a dying barrista, shot by her father. Now Belladonna struggles, feeling the telepath’s will pressing down upon her again. The barrista is bleeding on the floor, and she can hear a back door of the shop being broken in as what she guesses are Bureau agents storm the coffee shop from the alley.

She knows that the telepath wants her and her father to die to cover his tracks, and already she can see her father raising his gun to point at the door the Bureau will enter from. With the telepath forcing her body under his control, she feels like she has too much time to watch what is happening, too much time to see her father being driven to a suicidal attack, and too much time for her to sit and be powerless.

She refuses to be powerless, to be the defenseless little girl her father always saw her as.

For just a moment, her will surges, and she finds the strength to move. The door to the back entrance is kicked open as she yanks a stiletto out of her hair. Her father aims for the Bureau agents as she opens her only vial of rare tetrodotoxin and coats her blade. And the Bureau agents shout for him to drop his gun as Belladonna stands up between the gunmen and drives the stilleto blade into her father’s forearm, straight into the vein.

“Don’t shoot!” she shouts.

Her father glares at her with an anger that is not his own, and his body siezes up as the poison paralyzes his nerves. His gun clatters to the ground, and she catches him as he begins to fall. The agents surround her, black suits pressing in and sweeping across the room, securing the building. One agent stoops next to the bleeding barrista, puts a hand on the man’s chest, and concentrates. The barrista begins to cough as he comes back from the brink of death.

“Where’s the bomb?” one demands, pointing a gun at Belladonna.

Belladonna points outside, where Nathan ran.

“The bomb’s disarmed,” says the man who just disarmed the bomb, cowering on the floor. “My name is Jobe Bundholm, NOPD.”

While the agents are distracted, Belladonna conceals the dagger in her hair again. Then she yells at one the agents. “My father was mind-controlled. He’s been poisoned. You have magic, don’t you?”

The agent who healed the barrista is about to stop and help when the agent interrogating Jobe curses.

“Sh*t,” he says. “He’s a cop. Wipe him.”

The spellcasting agent goes over to Jobe, puts a hand over his eyes, and concentrates. Jobe looks dazed.

Meanwhile, the lead agent reports into a shoulder radio, “A witness says there’s a teep nearby. Raine, Balthazaar, be on watch. The Lees are not the primary suspect. I repeat there is a teep nearby.”

“Dammit,” Belladonna says. “My father is going to die.”

The magic-using agent turns around, touches her father on his chest, and whispers a Creole prayer. Her father begins to breathe again. The agent nods to Belladonna, but looks displeased.

“More cops coming,” says the lead agent. “The situation is over for now. Withdraw, everyone.”

“What about these two?” says the agent who just saved Belladonna’s father.

The lead agent shakes his head. “No time. We’re out.”

And almost as quickly as they came in, the Bureau agents are gone, leaving no trace they were there.

Jobe Bundholm blinks, then staggers to his feet and runs for the door.

* * *​

Struggling with the pain of a bullet wound in his shoulder, Nathan takes a best guess of the direction the sniper shot came from – down the street to the west – and he takes cover in front of the eastern entrance of the Starbucks. The Starbucks is probably nearly empty by now, and Nathan hopes the sniper won’t get trigger happy and start firing at pedestrians.

Jobe runs out the front door, and Nathan stops him from running out into the sniper’s view.

“What’s going on in there?” he asks.

Jobe opens his mouth as if to explain, but words fail him. Just then, Nathan notices a police car pulling up from the south. The car stops nearly in front of the Starbucks, and a cop kicks open the door. At the same time, John comes running over from the bus stop across the street.

“Ah, John,” Nathan says, “good to see you. Here, come help me.”

Nathan then turns to the cop. “Officer!”

He starts toward the police officer, holding Jobe by his arm, with John following angrily. As he passes back in front of the Starbucks, he looks inside, but sees that it is completely empty.

The police officer comes up, hand on his holster, and he orders them to stop.

“Yes, officer,” Nathan says, “but here in the suitcase is the bomb that just scared everyone out of here.”

“Nathan,” John says, “let’s get the hell out of here. There’s still a sniper around.”

The cop hesitates, then holds out a hand and asks for the suitcase. Nathan hands it over. In the distance he can hear the intermittent retorts of a sniper rifle firing, but he’s confident he’s safe. The cop takes the briefcase and says into his radio that he has the bomb. He puts the bomb in his car, and then stops behind the car door, his body partially concealed by the door.

Nathan senses that something is wrong, and he pushes Jobe to the ground just in time as the cop turns and fires.

* * *​

Scarpedin says nothing as he scans for the sniper, using his own sniper rifle. Robert watches from over his shoulder, dispassionate at the sight of Nathan being struck by a sniper bullet. He watches Nathan duck for cover, and sees faintly in the corners and shadows of the intersection, a dozen or more Bureau agents moving through alleys, trying to cover the scene without being seen.

The panic is just dying down in the street, and the sniper has not fired a second shot in half a minute, when Robert gets impatient and leans out the window, trying to get a view of what’s going on. Then for a moment he is completely dazed as his head is whipped sideways. When he gets his bearings again, he has fallen over, knocking Scarpedin to the floor of their motel room.

“What the hell?” Robert says, feeling a horrible welt on the side of his face.

“You were shot,” Scarpedin says. “In the head.”

Unfazed, Scarpedin gets back to the window and goes back to searching for the sniper, careful not to expose any of his body, just the sniper scope.

Robert blinks, then remembers the necklace he took off the Canadian woman. Now that he thinks of it, she wasn’t nearly as torn to bits by the mini-gun as he would have expected.

“Y’know,” Robert says, “any other day I would need a while to get over not just dying, but I think I’m good. Hey, Scarpedin, give me that bracelet Terry’s on.”

The window Scarpedin is aiming out of shatters as a bullet strikes it and flies into the room. Scarpedin stands up angrily and reaches for his sword, but Robert stops him.

“I’d say don’t be stupid,” Robert says, “but that’d be pointless. How about, ‘you be the diversion’?”

Scarpedin grimaces, then hands Robert the Terry bracelet. Robert goes over his plan with Terry’s ghost as he gathers up two pocketfuls of smoke grenades, the mini-gun, and a bit of ammo.

“Make sure you don’t leave any of this here,” Robert says as he tosses a smoke grenade out the door onto the balcony. “This cost a lot of money. Especially that sniper rifle which did us exactly zero good.”

“Whoa, wait,” Scarpedin says. “I’m supposed to run out there and let the guy shoot at me?”

Robert nods, grinning. “I gotta find out where he is. Don’t worry. Apparently John, the angel, can heal you if you get shot. Now you flank left, and I’ll stick to the cover of-”

Scarpedin interrupts. “Alright, time’s up, let’s do this!”

Scarpedin springs out of the motel room and sprints for the staircase to the ground floor, screaming something that sounds like, “Leeroy JENKINS!”

Robert sighs.

“He ran off without the necklace?” Terry says.

Robert nods. “Alright, let’s go save his ass.”

* * *​

Nathan tries to avoid getting shot as John steps inside the cop’s reach and elbow’s the man in the bottom of his chin, dazing him. John is busy disarming him and shooting out his kneecap when Nathan notices another car approaching. It looks just like the one that dropped off Adrien Lee and Belladonna earlier.

John says, “He must’ve been working for Mr. Lee.”

Before Nathan can explain the situation, the second car screeches to a stop in the middle of the street near the cop car. A back seat door opens, and Nathan and John both aim guns and take cover behind the hood of the cop car. But no one emerges. The driver window is black, impenetrably tinted.

Strangely, the passenger seat of the cop car opens, and then the briefcase holding the bomb begins to move as if pulled by an invisible hand. Nathan gasps and fires, and he hears a man grunt. The briefcase falls back into the passenger seat, and Nathan leaps through the open driver’s door of the cop car to grab it.

“Someone’s invisible,” Nathan tells John.

John fires off two errant shots at the space between the cop car and the second car.

“Bugger,” shouts a disembodied voice in the street. “Let’s go!”

The back door of the getaway car starts to swing, but before Nathan or John can react, Balthazaar and two other agents appear from the nearby alley beside the Starbucks. One agent snaps a finger, and the getaway car suddenly goes dead as its engine shuts off. Balthazaar throws what looks like a small grenade in the street, and when it goes off it bursts with a spray of fluorescent red paint. The paint coats the invisible telepath, and though he leaps clear of the paint cloud, he’s still faintly visible.

“After him,” Balthazaar shouts.

John, Balthazaar, and the spellcasting agent follow the fleeing telepath down the street and then down an alley, while the second agent moves in to arrest the driver of the getaway car.

Nathan, already shot and a little nervous about someone else getting the bomb, looks over at Jobe, who is pressed against the side of the cop car, breathing heavily.

“Relax,” Nathan says. “I’ll be right back. I just need to dispose of this. Good show back there, by the way. Most impressive.”

He smiles, then stands up and looks for a dumpster he can ditch the bomb in. Instead he sees Scarpedin scampering down the street to the west, cursing as sniper shots ring out. In the distance, he can hear police sirens approaching.

* * *​

John, Balthazaar, and a Bureau agent give chase down alleys, through kitchens, past abandoned flood cars. John has always been fast, but he feels something old in him, something forgotten, the thrill of the hunt and the take-down. He has pulled ahead of Balthazaar and is nearly to the paint-covered invisible telepath when the man pulls something off his body and drops it in the middle of the alley.

John hears the click of metal on the ground, and he leaps for cover, jumping behind a pile of trash. The Bureau agent is closest, Balthazaar a bit further behind, so when the grenade goes off, the fragmented shards of steel that cut through the air kill the agent, stagger Balthazaar, and nearly hobble John.

Cursing, John spits out his cigarette and puts his hands on the vicious gash on his leg, hoping he can still heal. He doesn’t know quite how he does it, and he feels almost dirty doing so, but his wounds close, and he can walk again.

Balthazaar, temporarily slowed, runs up and helps John to his feet. The man is bleeding from shrapnel, but he looks undeterred. John takes a moment to make sure there’s nothing he can do for the agent who ran straight into the blast, and then they return to the chase, but now he’s not sure which way their quarry has gone.

* * *​

Robert tosses a second smoke grenade at the base of the stairs to give himself some more cover. The sniper, whoever he is, isn’t stupid. After he took two shots at Scarpedin, he noticed Robert and fired at him, catching him in the belly. The necklace did done its job again, but a faint crack crossed it. Robert doesn’t want to risk being hit again.

He thinks he has it pinned down where the sniper is – hiding in fourth story motel room a half block away – but Robert isn’t confident enough in his aim to risk plowing a thousand bullets from this heavy-ass gun into a honeymoon suite accidentally. He waits for the latest shot to miss frenetic Scarpedin, and then he breaks from the cover of the smoke, hustling down the street, grunting under the weight of the gun and ammo.

He spies a rifle barrel sticking out of a window just before a bullet catches him square in the chest. He tastes blood in his mouth, but he still doesn’t have any holes.

“Robert, be careful,” Terry says.

Robert laughs weakly, really not sure why he’s risking his life like this. He drops to his knee, braces the mini-gun, aims, and fires. As he guessed, the first twenty or so bullets chew into the third floor and the balcony, but the next eighty or so tear the sniper’s room to pieces. Robert struggles against the kick of the gun, and finally releases the trigger five seconds later as his hit shots begin to stray off target.

In the distance he can hear Scarpedin cheering him.

The cop cars are approaching from down the street, and normally Robert would have nowhere to run, and no easy way to explain what he’s doing.

“Terry,” he says, “now.”

He feels the world around him lurch, and just as the lead cop car skids and presents its side to him, cutting off his escape, the whole street vanishes. Banyan and cyprus trees surround him, and his feet sink into a marsh. The spectral figure of Terry’s ghost is visible beside him, and there is no city in sight.

He’s once again on Gaia.

“That was awesome,” Terry says. “You got him.”

Robert suppresses his pleasure at having killed the *sshole sniper, and he shrugs for Terry’s benefit. “I’m not really much for killing, y’know?”

* * *​

Belladonna helps her father hurry down the alley, heading in the direction she guesses the Bureau did not go. She supports her father, his arm over her shoulder, since even with the curative magic he’s still a bit groggy from the poison.

She’s never been in this part of the city before, and has no idea where the alleys are taking them. Her father points in a direction, and she goes. She knows she has to get her father to safety, but she also has to know the truth of what happened.

“How much of it were you controlled for?” she asks.

“Not now,” her father says. “We’ve got to get out of here. I don’t know who we can trust.”

Sirens sound in the distance, and Belladonna keeps running. Finally she slows, her voice ragged with anger.

“Tell me, dada. Did you kill Terry, or was it him? I’m not going anywhere until you answer me.”

Her father shakes free of her support and throws out a hand flamboyantly. “What do you want me to say? Yes, I did! I did because everything I had been told showed that he was a danger to you, to our home. This is what we do! And I asked you! A father should never need his daughter’s permission, but I asked you, I made sure.”

“You can’t kill an innocent man, dada!”

Her father shakes his head. “You will not tell your father what to do. I know there is far more to this city than you suspect, and I will do whatever I have to to keep you safe from-”

The sound of footsteps approaching silence Belladonna and her father, and they slip into the shadows that fill the alley. Belladonna can hear a man shouting, Balthazaar’s voice, the noises of pursuit, of radios calling out in an effort to stop someone. For a moment she thinks she and her father are in danger, but then she feels the faintest sensation, the tactile presence of a desperate, powerful mind looking for help. She knows it is the telepath, and she knows that he is aware of her.

The footsteps are growing close, but they falter, and she can feel the man again trying to take control of her. She cries out for help, the rest of the world a blur as she struggles to resist the compulsion. She hates this man, and is terrified of being under his control again.

Then she hears a gunshot, and she comes to. At first all she can see is a smear of red paint in the air, but then her mind cuts through what her eye is seeing, and she recognizes the telepath, dressed in body armor and adorned with countless weapons and devices. He is standing next to her father, she realizes, and they are grappling, the man trying to keep her father’s gun away.

The two men trade vicious kicks, elbow slams, and powerful short punches, and she sees a side of her father she long suspected, but had never believed. If he had not recently been poisoned, she knows her father would have killed the telepath already, even with just one arm. But he is slow and weakened.

The footsteps of the pursuers are close, but not close enough. For a moment she is gripped with her fear of the telepath and her anger at her father. But she sees the man has nearly turned the gun back at her father, and she cannot wait.

Belladonna steps in, draws her stiletto, and slams the needle-like blade down through the neck of the telepath’s armor. The man cries out and tries to shake free, but he loses his grip on Belladonna’s father. Caught between foes, the man tries to concentrate, to reach into their minds, but he never gets the chance.

Adrien Lee grabs the telepath’s face in his left hand, plants the gun to the man’s temple, and fires three times. The alley rings with the sound of the shots, and only after they fade away does he let go of the man and let his body fall. Belladonna blinks, but feels nothing at the sight of the dead man at her feet.

And then the Belladonna and her father are gone. When the wounded John and Balthazaar reach the body, there is no sign they were ever there.

* * *​

The gunshots have stopped. The sirens are no long swinging through the streets, but have parked and are setting up a perimeter around the crime scene. The smoke is clearing, and ambulances and news crews are on the way.

Nathan shuts the cover of the dumpster, pulls out his cell phone, and dials 911.

“Oh hello. No, I’m not in any danger. I just wanted to report that I just saw someone suspicious depositing a suitcase in a dumpster on St. Louis street, in an alley near the Starbucks. There was talk of a bomb, so I thought you might like to know. . . . Oh, it’s my pleasure. You sound very stressed, but don’t worry. Things should be under control. Well, have a nice day, and don’t forget to send some cops to look into that dumpster. Cheerio.”

He hangs up and turns off his phone. Down the street, he sees a black van open its doors, and Balthazaar, John, Scarpedin, and a few men in black suits scramble in. Nathan makes a mental note to tell the Bureau that there was a telepath, but now he has to go find Jobe Bundholm, give the man a thousand dollars, and tell the news crews what a hero he was. With luck, Mrs. Bundholm will see him on the news at noon.

End of Ninth Session

Last edited:

November 1, 2005
7:45 am

In the swamp outside of Gaian New Orleans, Robert Black and the ghost of Terry Abrams take their best guess of the direction to the French Quarter, where it will hopefully be safer than the marshland. They manage to avoid getting too close to the strange white alligators or the seemingly empty hovels on stilts that stick up between cyprus trees, tinny jazz curling out of their open doors and windows.

Robert and Terry have a lot of time to talk, but they don’t say much of importance. One risked his life to give the other a chance to not die in vain. After that, neither feels like talking would mean much.

The thrill is gone
The thrill is gone away
The thrill is gone baby
The thrill is gone away
You know you done me wrong baby
And you'll be sorry someday.

- B. B. King, “The Thrill is Gone”​

Robert is finally feeling sunken stones under his feet, a sign that he’s coming out of the floodlands and is nearing the French Quarter. The sun is up but shadows are still long, and Robert is tired. Out of the shadows of the forest, just at the edge of the French Quarter, a cloaked figure appears ten feet in front of Robert. It is the same strange, faceless figure that confronted him and the others less than a day ago when he was last on Gaia. This time it does not hold a lantern, but a book.

“You have returned,” it says, its voice crackling dryly, but with an undertone of deep, squirmy wetness. “Good.”

Robert hesitates. “Terry, don’t ask it any questions, but I would like to know if you could do anything to make sure this thing doesn’t kill me.”

It floats less than a foot closer, but as the edge of its robe slides into the water near Robert, the surface begins to ripple and reflect faint images, moving like a dozen inter-spliced films. He can’t make out any single event, but Robert thinks he sees a flash of himself, holding a bloody blade, and of a beautiful Asian woman lying in snow, and of sand blowing across a cave in a storm.

“You got a book,” Robert says, ignoring the visions. “Good for you. I’m not interested in making any deals.”

“You do not need to give up any secrets to me,” it says. “I ask but a small price. Deliver this to the fallen one, the one who calls himself John.”

“No deals? Then it’s okay if I ask a question?”

The hooded creature, faceless, bows in an exaggerated nod, but then it holds up a hand sharply. “However, I do have answers that you would find critical. You,” it pauses and points at Terry, “and you, longwalker.”

Robert glances at Terry, and the ghost looks seriously tempted, but then he shakes his head. “No, Robert. It’s too dangerous.”

“This guy might know who wanted you dead,” Robert says. “And then, by extension, who tried to kill me. So yeah, um, mysterious black-cloaked figure. Yeah, you. Is that the answer you’re offering?”

The secret-keeper bows slightly, but Robert isn’t sure if it’s nodding or shrugging.

“Okay,” Robert says, “that was pretty ambiguous. I want to know who wanted Terry dead, who’s behind all this. What do you want in exchange? You want me to deliver the book to John?”

The hooded figure shakes its head, and something of its posture makes it look amused. It slides a step closer, raises a skeletal green hand to its hood, and pulls it back.

Robert knows, with certainty, and he feels disappointed, like the world has lessened significantly. He also knows that he should not remember what he just saw under the creature’s cloak, but he does.

Tendrils, flesh the color of seaweed, veins thick with violet puss, coiled into the shape of a man, and eyes, countless, strained up between the tentacles, trying to peer out every inch of the body, eyes that are undeniably human in the midst of an alien horror.

The secret-keeper resets its hood, and Robert does his best to pretend that he doesn’t actually remember what he saw, but he feels so weak he doubts he’s convincing. The creature almost curtsies, pressing the book into Robert’s hands, and then it turns and departs slowly.

“Uh . . . yeah,” Robert says, blustering. “Yeah, thanks for nothing. I’ll cover my end of the bargain, which is, y’know, delivering this book to John, but then, uh, yeah, then we’ll be square.”

A small crowd of people appear on the street, walk past the secret-keeper, and when they pass the creature is gone.

“So,” Terry says. “I think what you did was pretty stupid, but you don’t look insane. So, what did it show you?”

“You didn’t see?” Robert asks.

Terry shakes his head. “Do you know who’s responsible?”

Robert frowns. “No. What a gyp.”

“Well, we’re at the French Quarter. It should be safe for me to get us back to Terra.”

Robert nods. Try as he might, he cannot remember what the secret-keeper told him, but he has a sense that he will know, soon enough.

* * *​

Eventually, Nathan regroups with the Bureau, and Robert reappears near Jackson Square. By 9am they’re all gathered in the Bureau office. There’s still much to figure out.

Robert and Scarpedin explain that Terry’s still around, and that he’s still quite able to travel between the two worlds. Though Terry claims to be mentally exhausted after his second jump in just an hour, he wants to help the Bureau, and Robert and Scarpedin are willing to go along. Nathan is willing as ever, since he had a vision of a person being imperiled on the road to Savannah. John, while he feels a duty to help the Bureau, is a little bitter at Terry, since he feels like he’s being treated as an outsider now since he didn’t go running off stupidly to try to kill Adrien Lee.

That brings them to the hitch. They still didn’t manage to kill Mr. Lee. While Nathan assures them that there was a telepath there controlling the actions of father and daughter, Robert wants to see Mr. Lee for himself, this time under more controlled circumstances. No bombs, for instance. Nathan is confident there will be no bombs. He feels that he’s becoming quite proficient at sensing bombs, what with there being three in the past three days.

They call Adrien Lee and basically strong-arm him into meeting them one last time, this time in a place of their choosing, the very public and outdoors courtyard in front of the New Orleans Aquarium of the Americas, currently closed for repairs. Mr. Lee agrees unhappily, and they set a time, warning the man not to contact the police, or to bring anyone but himself and his daughter.

When that’s set, Robert hands John the book he received from the Secret-Keeper, and relates most of the story. The book confuses John. He says that he received a letter from the owner of a shop here in New Orleans, a letter that said he had a book that would explain some of the questions John had.

“What questions?” Robert asks.

John says not to worry about it. Nathan says this means it has something to do with him being an angel.

But the book John has solves nothing. The first of half the book is written in heiroglyphics, the second part in Greek, with a small section in the back – made of paper that seems to gleam like silk woven with silver – with a form of writing that no one recognizes. John feels a strange familiarity when he sees it.

Scarpedin suggests it might be ancient Sumerian, like out of Snow Crash.

This prompts Balthazaar to say that he thinks Scarpedin is too much of a loose cannon, and he insists that Scarpedin not come along when they go to meet Adrien Lee. Scarpedin says stupid things in response to this that do not help his case, and as entertaining as he is, even Terry, who has a soft spot for the man since he saved him, can’t justify bringing along someone so aggressive and, frankly, insane on a low-key mission like that.

Scarpedin agrees, but only if the Bureau springs Whitey from prison. This is easily done, and a few mind-wipes and computer hacks later, Whitey and Scarpedin are in Balthazaar’s van, on the way to a dockhouse Balthazaar owns on the eastern shore of the Mississippi. They suspect that the cops might be looking for the group, so Balthazaar warns Scarpedin to stays put.

After Balthazaar drives off to head to the meeting with Adrien Lee, Scarpedin smiles to his old biker buddy, and together they start looking for ways to trash Balthazaar’s place.

* * *​

At the Aquarium of the Americas, the few people who pass by the courtyard are all talking about the rumored attacks of last night and this morning. Adrien Lee and his daughter Belladonna sit in the middle of the otherwise abandoned plaza, waiting for the Bureau. He is confident being so out in the open because one of his few servants he can trust, Tom “Gris-gris” Jones, claimed to place a powerful spell upon him to keep harm from befalling him this day. He will need it, because there is still so much to do. He needs to find out who betrayed him, and how deep the betrayal goes.

He knows at least that he has his daughter’s loyalty. She will not leave him.

After the Bureau has set up a perimeter of cloaked snipers and observers, Robert, John, Nathan, and Balthazaar arrive. Balthazaar hangs back, wary of threats, while Robert sits down across from Adrien Lee like he’s an old friend. Much banter is exchanged, but no hint is given that Terry’s ghost is still around, nor does Mr. Lee seem to care. Seemingly idle threats from both parties clearly hint at a deep resentment, and in the interest in making sure they’re not going to have to kill each other on account of bad intelligence, Nathan calls for complete honesty.

Robert of course lies smoothly. He suspects Mr. Lee is doing so as well. But he cannot doubt the man’s tone when he finally, bitterly admits that he was mind controlled, and that his actions were not his own.

Robert relishes the man’s pain, enjoying seeing Adrien Lee weak, but knows that he cannot kill this man. Two days ago, he would have been willing to slit Adrien Lee’s throat anyway, but after what he has seen, Robert doubts the path he has chosen. Still, he wants answers.

Mr. Lee does not know who wanted Terry dead. He was aware that a hit had been requested, but knowing his daughter’s association with Terry, he was cautious. He had initially wanted to bring Terry to the mansion to size him up and determine if he was a threat, then to protect him if he wasn’t. Unfortunately, Mr. Lee says, he was betrayed, and his mind was controlled.

Maurice Boudreaux, Mr. Lee’s brother-in-law and business partner, has fled the country, and given the holes in security that allowed the telepath onto his manor, and the terrorists with their bombs into the mansion party, Mr. Lee has no doubt Maurice was responsible. He suggests they look for him if they want answers, but Robert declines, saying he’s got more important things to do than clean up Mr. Lee’s messes.

Belladonna says she’s sorry, and that she wishes none of this had happened. That wins her no points, especially not with Robert, who heard directly from Terry that Belladonna did not even try to stop her father from killing him.

Even if Robert accepts Mr. Lee’s story that he was mind-controlled, that still leaves his daughter as a murdering bitch.

* * *​

After using magical telekinesis ("Hey Whitey, look what I can do now.") to unlock the door to Balthazaar’s private office from the inside, and after he has stolen Balthazaar’s computer and smashed his desk trying to see if the man keeps vampire porn, Scarpedin turns his sights to the speedboat docked in the boathouse. He and Whitey get on board, toss in the computer and a few other looted items, and hotwire the thing.

Scarpedin doesn’t know how to drive a boat, but he figures the Mississippi is a big river, so he’ll probably have time to figure out how before he crashes the thing.

* * *​

Negotiations begin between Robert and Mr. Lee, reparations of a sort for Terry’s death. Mr. Lee knows in which hospital the lead Canadian terrorist – the man with the mini-gun – is being treated, and he agrees to let them have the man.

“And one more thing,” Robert says. “You know, I won’t even try to lie here. I wish I could kill you, but y’know what, I can’t. But if I’m going to let you live, I want to make sure that you do at least one thing good with your life, since I’m sure you’re going to go back to being a murdering bastard as soon as we’re not around.”

“Would you like etiquette lessons?” Adrien Lee asks.

Robert laughs once. “No. But . . . I want you to build a playground. A place for children to have fun. I’ll be back in a few months, and if I find a new playground that you’re responsible for, you won’t have to die.”

Mr. Lee almost rolls his eyes, but when he sees the intensity in Robert’s gaze, he shrugs, laughs, and says, “Fine. I-”

“Alright,” Robert says, cutting him off. “We’re done here. I never want to hear another word from you, Mr. Lee. Belladonna, I hope I never see your face again. Not that I’m a violent man, of course.”

He smiles, stands up, and leaves. The Lees say nothing as the rest of the group departs.

* * *​

Somewhere in the middle of the Mississippi River, Scarpedin cuts back the engine because he hears something thumping. Curious, he and Whitey track the noise to a metal case in the back of the boat, about six feet long.

“Holy sh*t,” Whitey says. “This dude’s got someone locked in his trunk. Do you think it’s a chick?”

Scarpedin shrugs and opens the case. As soon as daylight shines inside the trunk, a scream fills the air, and the metal trunk fills with flames, covering the body of a flailing person. In just a few seconds, the person has completely incinerated.

Scarpedin comes to the obvious conclusion. “Balthazaar is smuggling vampires across the Mississippi!”

He tries to call Robert, but Robert calls him first, telling him to meet them at a particular hospital, so they can talk to the Canadian ringleader.

“Oh, I dunno,” Scarpedin says. “I might be too much of a loose cannon. Too crazy to come along. You sure you want me?”

“Shut up, Scarpedin,” Robert says. “We’re doing this, and then we’re getting out of New Orleans, so meet us there if you don’t want to get left behind.”

Scarpedin huffs, a little angry. “Fine. But do me a favor. Ask Balthazaar what his computer’s password is, okay?”

A moment passes, and then Robert’s exasperated voice replies, “No.”

“Fine, man,” Scarpedin says, “but you’d better watch out, Robot. You can’t trust Balthazaar. He looks like Kevin Kline, and he’s smuggling vampires.”

Robert hangs up. Scarpedin fumes for a bit.

“Alright, Whitey,” he says, “drop me off at the nearest dock. Then you can keep the boat.”

Whitey nods proudly. “Awesome.”

Last edited:

November 1, 2005
11:00 am

The group heads to the hospital where the leader of the Canadians is being treated for multiple gunshot wounds, and what appears to be a few longsword slashes. As they’re walking into the hospital, Nathan gets a text message from an undisclosed source, listing an email address and a password, with the note “You’re being watched.” Nathan quickly logs into the account on his laptop, sees one email message with a huge attachment, and decides to wait until he can make sure he’s not going to get a virus.

On the floor with the Canadian, a handful of tough-looking men in casual clothes are waiting – employees of Mr. Lee, they guess – but the men seem to be expecting them, and give them space. Aside from Balthazaar and a Bureau tech, Robert, Scarpedin, John, and Nathan are alone with the Canadian.

Nathan tries to use his psychic powers to sway the man’s will and make him more pliable. It looks like it works, but it could just be the painkillers. They start asking questions.

His name is Matthew Jasons. The Bureau tech verifies that he is associated with a group of Knights of the Round, and that he is wanted for murder by the Canadian branch of the Bureau. Jasons claims that he doesn’t care about the politics, just as long as he and his crew are well paid and well-equipped. He says that his employer had offered, in addition to a sizeable sum of cash, magically-enhanced weapons – infinite ammo clips and such. After this mission, he’d planned to go big time.

He says, groggily, that he and his group of British and Canadian mercenaries were contacted by an Anthony DeVries, the dark-skinned British telepath, who had a job for them in the states. First they were supposed to assassinate a traveling couple in Alaska, but the man managed to get away somehow, so a few days later they were redirected down to the States, to head to New Orleans.

Anthony’s mind control got them across the border in a truck full of weapons, while a few of their group flew ahead, then had a mind-controlled patsy (an airline pilot) veer his plane off course and nearly smash it into the Sears Tower, ensuring that flights would be grounded for a few days, since they needed time to get to New Orleans. They also contacted some Knights of the Round associates of theirs in New Orleans, to set things up before they arrived. Anthony apparently was in contact with someone who provided him intel, because they knew where Terry was the whole way.

Jasons goes through a list of his crew and contacts, all dead or arrested. The Noah Wylie-looking driver who John killed after the car chase, the George Clooney gunman who Robert killed in the hotel, the sniper who Robert killed with the mini-gun, Jasons’ wife the swordswoman who Scarpedin killed with the mini-gun, Anthony deVries who Mr. Lee killed with the pistol in the alleyway; the two French men that Nathan turned in for a bounty were their Knights of the Round contacts here in the city. After the French knights were caught, Jasons says he contacted a group of Rastafarian neo-Voodooists, but he never heard from them because he was shot first. Robert and Scarpedin verify that they took care of those guys.

He doesn’t know why deVries wanted Terry dead, nor for whom deVries was working. The Bureau tech says he’ll look into it, but so far the man looks like he has no record at all. He says he’ll contact the British branch of the Bureau in London for assistance.

To Robert’s disappointment, it does appear that Adrien Lee actually didn’t have anything to do with the assassination.

Balthazaar then fills in a few holes. Under interrogation, Morgan McCool, the Christian Bale look-alike who initially antagonized the group at the Texas Renaissance Festival, said that his employer, “Mr. O,” had been trying to find a way to planeshift, and had somehow learned that Terry possessed that power, and sent people after them. It’s unlikely that the two groups work for the same person, because they were at odds with each other.

Also, at Scarpedin’s prompting, he explains that he had been keeping the vampire in the trunk of of his boat for interrogation, because he found a trail that led from some of the local vampire groups to the neo-Voodoo Rastafarians, involving some sort of ritual they were planning. Robert guesses that it probably had something to do with why they were after Terry’s heart.

Balthazaar says he didn’t really need the vampire anymore, but wonders what Scarpedin was doing that led him to open the trunk in the first place. Scarpedin just laughs.

The group leaves the hospital, and John suggests to Mr. Lee’s thugs that it might be smart to kill Matthew Jasons, to make sure he can’t incriminate Mr. Lee. They then get back into Nathan’s car and Balthazaar’s van, and head back to the main Bureau office, planning to debrief before they leave for Savannah.

Last edited:

Remove ads