• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

hill giant errata

Gromm

First Post
MasterOfHeaven said:
If Ghouls can have high Charisma, why not Hill Giants?

All undead have fairly high Cha (skeletons 11, wights 15, spectres 15, wraiths 15, shadows 13, Vamps/Liches have a bonus). Only zombies have a low Cha. Compared to other undead they aren't out of line, whereas Hill Giants compared to other giants seem way out of line (as in they are obviously the least charismatic, yet have higher Cha than Cloud and Storm giants- the most cultured and charismatic of all giants). Any creature actually described as a "selfish, cunning brute" doesn't seem like a candidate for an incredibly high Cha score. If 1/2 orcs get a penalty, I can't see why the "oddly simian" giants that "seldom wash" shouldn't. At least my half orc bathed even if he was a bit gruff and short with people. Maybe I don't see a Hill Giant as being a perfect negotiator, call me crazy.

Its probably a typo thats always been ignored, but in the end its not a big deal (go Hill Giant Sorcerors!).

Grazzt

Demon Lord
I'm with Gromm on this one. It is a typo of sorts as it is way out of line with the rest of the giants and doesn't make any sense. I am sure WotC will fix it in time.

Voadam

Legend
I don't know, I've seen this discussed pretty much since the MM came out. I wrote to the errata people after it was not included in the MM errata but I never got a reply and I'm not holding my breath for them to fix it any time soon.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
I cut away the '1' and give them a 7 (which is about what an ogre - a very similar creature - has).

hong said:

Now come on Eric, don't deny it.
No, I am Spartacus!!!

Gromm said:

All undead have fairly high Cha (skeletons 11, ...
Wasn't that errata'd to Cha 1?

apsuman

First Post
Gromm said:

Hill Giants compared to other giants seem way out of line (as in they are obviously the least charismatic, yet have higher Cha than Cloud and Storm giants- the most cultured and charismatic of all giants). Any creature actually described as a "selfish, cunning brute" doesn't seem like a candidate for an incredibly high Cha score. If 1/2 orcs get a penalty, I can't see why the "oddly simian" giants that "seldom wash" shouldn't. At least my half orc bathed even if he was a bit gruff and short with people. Maybe I don't see a Hill Giant as being a perfect negotiator, call me crazy.

Ok, crazy,

I figure that the posing here is nigh useless , alas...

how are hill giants "obviously the least charismatic"?

Charisma does not have to have any connection, and/or correlaton with appearance.

You can be good looking and have no force of personality, you can be an ugle-pus and have an enormous CHA.

g!

Grazzt

Demon Lord
apsuman said:

Ok, crazy,

I figure that the posing here is nigh useless , alas...

how are hill giants "obviously the least charismatic"?

Because they are the weakest and stupidest, etc.... (of the giants anyway).

Charisma does not have to have any connection, and/or correlaton with appearance.

Not entirely true. Look at the PH page 9. It does mention physical appearance (in addition to force of personality, etc.)

You can be good looking and have no force of personality, you can be an ugle-pus and have an enormous CHA.

Agreed, but in this case, since there is a pattern to most monsters that are grouped together (dragons, giants, etc.) the Cha score for the hill giant is most likely an error. WotC just haven't fixed it yet.

hong

WotC's bitch
Grazzt said:

Not entirely true. Look at the PH page 9. It does mention physical appearance (in addition to force of personality, etc.)

The PHB can screw up, just like the sage. :)

Cha is the basis for monster spell-like abilities, sorc and bard spells, and various other things that have precious little to do with appearance. Also, a ghoul has better Cha than the average elf. If appearance has any effect on Cha, it must be marginal at best.

Crothian

First Post
I think the Hill Giant is just misunderstood. The good people at Wizards tried to set them straight, to prove that while they are evil, they are still strong in personality. :rolleyes:

At any rate, until it gets offically changed, my PCs will be scared of the Sorcerer Hill Giants.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads