• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

historical references for "points of light"?

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
If you are interested in readings which are "points of light-ish", both Machiavelli and Hobbes understood the world as being mostly dark. The Prince (Machiavelli) is a good and fast read. The Leviathan (Hobbes) is on point but more difficult.

It's all perhaps a bit too esoteric, but if you have the free time, they might be helpful.

Thaumaturge.

Aloïsius

First Post
Europe after the fall of the roman empire, until Charlemagne (500-800)
Europe after the fall of the carolingian empire, until Gregorian reforms (900-1050)
Europe during the 100 years war and the black plague (14th century mostly)

I guess some survivig mayan cities after the 10th century

Japan during the Ashikaga shogunate. Kyoto was the only real city, Kamakura was withering away, villages were farmhouses spread over estates rather than a cluster of buildings, and the only real authorities were the ones who held the most spears and naginatas. Sure, the estates were ostensibly managed in the name of some noble in Kyoto, but that was frequently disregarded, and after a series of failed harvests in the late 14th century, a strong belief that the world was coming to an end and belief in the supernatural was very high.

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
I agree with the American Wild West as a POL setting. Anyone with a gun in that setting is roughly equal in power (in terms of relative power level to an unarmed civilian) to a 1st level "hero" class PC or monster in 4th Edition.

Got armed bandits on the road? Only solution is to find a bunch of other guys with guns (find an adventuring party of PCs), and hope they'll take care of the problem for you. :)

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I think the wild west makes a perfect PoL setting, especially if it inspires DMs to try some non-European influences in their game. How many groups have ever dealt with a bison hunt or cattle stampede?

Eosin the Red

First Post
I'd say the template for this type of setting would be post Roman exodus of Britain. Very small kingdoms, hundreds of petty kings seeking to assert their rights and to sway other "kings" to become their liegemen and lawlessness everywhere but the few centers of power.

The old west works very well... My fantasy homebrew is equal parts Old West, Arthurian Legend, and Greek Hero-gods or at least those are the motifs I keep in mind when writing.

jimpaladin

First Post
Heck son look around! (Sorry my grandpas' voice) You live in RI take a look out in the country. Alot of lovecraftian scenes in my head. Wooded hills, lonely woodchopper just down the road only comes to town to get supplies 3 times a year never speaking to anyone. The last time he spoke, that person had a bit of bad luck unto death. Otherwise, I agree with the others old west and for me my 4e campaign will be in the country of Hungary as it looks today but based off the years 900-1500.

hope it helps!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads