D&D 5E Hit points explained

Tony Vargas

Legend
As in "in the past", yes
'Briefly' might've gotten that across better. ;)

For those without clairvoyant capabilities, DOAM refers to Damage on a Miss which was a "thing" for a couple of martial class abilities in the beta test for 5e.
And for most classes in 4e, because attacks like fireballs (cubes!) were resolved with attack rolls, so the old 'Save: 1/2' mechanic became 'Miss: half damage.' The fighter had a few such attacks, including an at-will, "Reaping Strike" that required a two-handed weapon and did STR mod damage on a miss. It created prettymuch 0 controversy in 4e (notable, since 4e was scoured for potentially-objectionable mechanics by it's extremely committed detractors).
But, when the Great-Weapon style was briefly given a very similar benefit, the community exploded with outrage over "DOAM."
The difference? Next had returned to resolving some attacks by having the defender roll a save, so fireball, in addition to being back to an actual ball, was back to 'save:1/2,' and attacks that did minimum damage even when unsuccessful was once again a caster privilege.
And people get touchy and irrational when defending privilege.

Consider the case of an assassin with a poison dagger. Even at full hp, if the dagger hits, the target will have to save versus poison.
EGG considered exactly that situation in the 1e DMG. His conclusion was that, if the save was failed, there was at least a tiny scratch from the 'hit' that the venom got into. If the save succeeded, there was no such wound, at all.

consider that just because the hp loss might indicate bruising, doesn't mean that those hps are necessarily lost until the bruising entirely fades. I've had plenty of bruises which hurt quite badly when they occurred, but by the next day were negligible despite being unsightly.
Good point. A character at full hps, but out of HD, for instance, might still be quite battered.

Last edited:

Yunru

Banned
Banned
No I didn't. I said "it can..." That doesn't mean every or all. Stop making up strawmen please.
Ha! No.
This is the first time it being applied to all attacks is brought up. Notice who I'm quoting?
Or are you trying to tell me that every time I was shot at, I wasn't missed, but just deflected all the damage? Come on now....

Stop making up strawmen please. Those are two completely different things, and I never made or implied such a thing. In fact, I explicitly said that one could avoid all damage in an AOE through magical (or other spectacular methods). But we're not talking about superhuman or magical exceptions, we're talking about the norm. And I never talked about superhuman attacking at all, so I'm not sure what you're even talking about.

If you can't be intellectually honest in your responses, there's no point in continuing.
See above, you're the only one talking about it as if it would be the norm.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
... unfortunately many grogs were too thick and others didn't want fighters to have nice things.
Nah, we know what HP are. Gygax explained them well enough to us long before you were born. Go read a 1e DMG.
We just really didn't want that stupid 4e garbage of rewarding failure to make it into the next edition. ,,,
Folks, keep it civil, please. There's no need for edition wars or fighting in general - this is just an internet forum about pretending to be an elf. So let's relax and try to have some fun.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Folks, keep it civil, please. There's no need for edition wars or fighting in general - this is just an internet forum about pretending to be an elf. So let's relax and try to have some fun.

Good sir! I pretend to be a half-orc thank you very much!
/mock-offended

Sacrosanct

Legend
Ha! No.
This is the first time it being applied to all attacks is brought up. Notice who I'm quoting?

That comment was in response to you saying this:

Except that point attack is already in your space. There is no dodge, only partial deflection or full damage.

Which was in response to me saying this:

"If you have a point attack coming at you, it can miss you completely from dodging or just plain missing."

Ie., you saying there is no dodging. You were the one to make it about all attacks. And I clearly said it can happen, not that it always does, because that's what the word "can" infers.

Since you're insistent on being disingenuous, have a good day sir. I'm done.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Ie., you saying there is no dodging. You were the one to make it about all attacks. And I clearly said it can happen, not that it always does, because that's what the word "can" infers.

Good sir refine your grammar!

"That attack" is in no means plural, and thus cannot be about all attacks.

To quote you:
"Since you're insistent on being disingenuous, have a good day sir. I'm done."

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
it doesn't make sense that you can entirely dodge a giant explosion.
No it doesn't, particularly in open ground with no cover whatsoever; but the idea/mechanic that says one can goes all the way back to 1e Monks. It's bugged me the whole time, but I've never bothered fixing it mostly because 1e Monks tend to have so little else going for them they need all the help they can get.

Lanefan

Remove ads