• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Homebrew - Would like feedback on this version of the Sorcerer

ScuroNotte

Explorer
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HeIMuKGxb2JwbW8DRsh61oHc1qf_RWpv/view?usp=sharing

I increased the HD and gave them light armor and simple weapons. Two reasons: First, the PHB it states "it’s unusual to find a sorcerer who is not involved in the adventuring life in some way.” “Sorcerers often have …. motivations driving them to adventure.” They are explorers who seek adventure and learn how to control their powers. Second, one of their main stats is Constitution. That is why their HD was increased from 1d6 to 1d8.

Sorcerers would have learned how to use some weapons and armor to defend themselves iof they are exploreres.

The number of spells known was increased. They rely on spells, unlike 3rd casters who almost have similar number of spells but use magic as a compliment to their main abilities. A flat number versus bonus spells based on archetype was chosen because Archetype bonus spells work well with casters who already have large number of spells known and who can change spells after a rest. But a class with few spells and the inability to change them would be still frustrating since a player most likely will not get to have the spells he or she envisions for the sorcerer. A perfect example is the Warlock class who was offered bonus spells as an option. If Warlocks were obligated to select the archetype spells, that would only allow 5 spells to be selected by the player. Not appealing.

In lieu of spell levels, spell points were given to increase flexibility.

Sorcery Points use has been changed. They can neither be converted to spell slots nor can they be created by spell slots. They can only be used for Metamagic and archetype features. This does prevent creating sorcery points between rests. But the change permits expended Sorcery Points to be recovered after a short or long rest, much as the Monk regains Ki points. A much better solution.

Metamagics were placed into its own column, similar to the Warlocks Invocations. And the frequency of attaining new metamagics was changed. Visualizing the class this way you can actually see how archetype features are delayed compared to the other spell casters. But more importantly, you can see how metamagic is an ability gained much as Invocations and should be evaluated as such.

I would love to have opinions, suggestions, and criticism.
I know there are some who love the sorcerer as is in the PHB, but I am not one of those people.

Last edited:

ccs

41st lv DM
If you want feedback post it where we can all see it without having to click a link provided by some (relative) unknown user.

If you want feedback post it where we can all see it without having to click a link provided by some (relative) unknown user.

It's a PDF stored on Google Drive (as you can see from the URL)... perfectly safe to click on, and much more friendly to read through than pasting some roughly formatted text into the body of a post. And welcome to the 21st century!

CapnZapp

Legend
It's a PDF stored on Google Drive (as you can see from the URL)... perfectly safe to click on, and much more friendly to read through than pasting some roughly formatted text into the body of a post. And welcome to the 21st century!
How does that excuse sending us off-site? If you're truly interested in feedback maybe pleasing your readers instead of talking back to them? (Just an idea.)

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
*reads PDF*

It doesn't look too bad to me, although I would remove the Arcane Twist and Divide metamagic options.
Arcane Twist because I think it is too powerful, Divide because it seems way too complicated to me.

ScuroNotte

Explorer

I was not trying to be difficult. I thought it would be easier to view from google than into several separate posts .

I can cut and paste the document into several posts to make it more trustworthy for you if you prefer

ScuroNotte

Explorer
*reads PDF*

It doesn't look too bad to me, although I would remove the Arcane Twist and Divide metamagic options.
Arcane Twist because I think it is too powerful, Divide because it seems way too complicated to me.

The Arcane Twist I was on the fence about, even with WoTC putting it in one of their unearthed arcana.

I liked Divide. You have two small groups spread out and you want to attack both. Twinning limits you to 2 separate targets. But Divide allows you to attack to separate groups, but with the limitation of halving the damage and area of effect. Thus allowing you to attack multiple groups but preventing you from being OP by having you cast 2 fireballs in 1 turn.

Bromjunaar

First Post
Pretty sure your 19th and 20th Level features need reworded, because Arcanum makes no sense with how the rest of the class is built as written, especially since you didn't include the chart for converting Sorc Points to Spell Points. Speaking of which, I'm not sure I see the point of separating Sorc Points and Spell Points in this style of class, instead of combining the two, and allowing Metamagic to be formed from Spell Points, with a regain of a certain amount of points at short rest (which could be increased over the time that the class is leveled)

And you need to specify duration on the 'Limitless Font of Magic' capstone.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Some good ideas here, the increase in spells known is about where I would put it if I was going to increase their number of spells known.

At first I thought you'd given them to many metamagics but then I saw that you created extra metamagics that could be chosen.

Not too fond of one of the 20th level capstone choices, if you want to increase the number of metamagics that can be applied to a spell then just increase it rather than saying that they have to choose at least one from column A.

Edit: I also disagree with the hit die increase and the training in armour. I don't think the class needs it.

Last edited:

Remove ads