D&D (2024) Hopes For The Fighter (esp Eldritch Knight)

I mean that’s cool for inspiration for sure, but I’m more wondering what the 2024 Eldritch knight will look like.

I’ve got my Aethernaut class for my home game, which is a sort of swordmage but more alchemical and hermetic and weird.
Gotcha. Maybe it will look something like this homebrewed version of the subclass which can specialize in any 2 of the 8 schools of magic. ;) Eldritch Knight - School Specialization by Enaluxeme

Erandeni

Person't
I wonder if they could have some kind of new/exclusive mastery that allow to better mix and match fighting and magic, like you can give up half your attacks to cast a spell or something

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I think I misunderstood you - I thought you were questioning maybe working magic into the baseline fighter chassis, for all fighters, which I don't think would or should happen. But yeah, absolutely the Eldritch Knight should have more ways to use those core fighter abilities to enhance their magic.
I do think the fighter needs a magical fighting style, but otherwise yeah.
Action surge is extremely powerful - is your heroic surge simply more action surges, or a variation where it is less powerful but you get more of them?
It splits action surge into each individual attack, requiring 2 to use any other action.
I'd prefer an Eldritch Knight that doesnt do spells.

Things like the Rune Knight or Arcane Archer, or the non-spell options of the 4 elements monk.

The designers should learn that magical =/= spellcasting.
There many such subclasses. The EK is the only Spellcasting fighter.

doctorbadwolf

The quickest easiest fix is to give them what they did with he bladesinger and alow them to once per round cast one cantrip in place of an attack when you make the attack action.
And I’m worried they’ll do that instead of something interesting.

Like, what if the EK could break cantrips down into parts like Eldritch blast, and mix cantrip attacks with weapon attacks?

WanderingMystic

Adventurer
And I’m worried they’ll do that instead of something interesting.

Like, what if the EK could break cantrips down into parts like Eldritch blast, and mix cantrip attacks with weapon attacks?
So while that is a cool concept I don't think that they will put that much effort into an archetype. Expecialy when they weigh giving someone 1/3 caster as such a big deal.

doctorbadwolf

So while that is a cool concept I don't think that they will put that much effort into an archetype. Expecialy when they weigh giving someone 1/3 caster as such a big deal.
Probably not, sadly. Hopefully it’s at least not just the same thing as the Bladesinger. That would be exceedingly weak sauce.

Remove ads