• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Houseruled: Feats, Rolled Stats, MCing Pick One

Dausuul

Legend
As the title says.

DM says the player can use feats, multiclassing or roll for stats. BUT you can only pick one your choice.

Thoughts?
Thought 1: Feats, no question. I hate rolling for stats and I hardly ever multiclass.

Thought 2: My "house rule devised without a clear statement of the problem or idea of how this would solve it" radar is pinging. Perhaps I'm wrong and there is a specific problem that is being solved economically by this rule... but I can't imagine what it would be. I am now wary of what other house rules this DM may drop on us without warning.

I would pick Feats, as those are the most interesting to me. 5e and multi-classing is a strange combination. It can work, but ironically the best way for it to work is a situation where you are using rolled stats and get a stat-block that allows you to consider it in the first place. It's really not something I think you can centre a whole character around without that, without falling off in effectiveness or having issues squaring narratively... or becoming too strong due to the somewhat cheesy builds that are out there.

Rolling for stats is something I'd only use with houserules that make everyone use a similar stat-block (just with them putting what score they want where-ever they want), so that there's no power discrepencies.

Feats or multiclass depending on the concept I want to play, although most multiclass concepts I think of also want a feat so those would be out. I would definitely not take rolled stats.

Zardnaar

Legend
I see it other way around, any feat except those 5(or 10 if you count extra books outside PHB) are not worth considering losing on +2 to primary stat.

What 5 from outside the PHB?

I'm guessing eleven accuracy, the metamagic one (+2 points, +2 metamagic) the fae/shadow magic ones and 1 more?

Horwath

Legend
What 5 from outside the PHB?

I'm guessing eleven accuracy, the metamagic one (+2 points, +2 metamagic) the fae/shadow magic ones and 1 more?
More or less, yes.

elven accuracy is OK, but I would take it only as a rogue as you can have advantage 100% of the time if you want to. Otherwise it's not a good feat.

I would add Telekinetic, while it may not be the best feat mechanically, to me it's the best feat designed.

Also Crusher,

Skill expert is a patch on Skilled, so it's worth a take with some builds.

Zardnaar

Legend
More or less, yes.

elven accuracy is OK, but I would take it only as a rogue as you can have advantage 100% of the time if you want to. Otherwise it's not a good feat.

I would add Telekinetic, while it may not be the best feat mechanically, to me it's the best feat designed.

Also Crusher,

Skill expert is a patch on Skilled, so it's worth a take with some builds.

Seems we have similar opinions. There's a few other feats that are worth it. If the power 5 are S tier they clock in at A tier.

Bolares

Hero
Rolled stats, all day long.

Feats and multiclassing aren't necessary.
Rolled stats are necessary?

I almost always allow a free feat at level 1. In my experience players will often choose a feat that fits their character concept over raw power when you don't have to trade an ASI for them.

Zardnaar

Legend
Rolled stats are necessary?

I almost always allow a free feat at level 1. In my experience players will often choose a feat that fits their character concept over raw power when you don't have to trade an ASI for them.

I've done that before but say the bonus feat has to be one of the weaker ones or a roleplaying type.

Problem was I had one of those players who immediately asked for all the powerful ones.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads