• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How are people currently feeling about 5e?

Incenjucar

Legend
Very optimistic. The more I hear, the more I like. :)

However I guess the 3rd edition crowd will have the hardest time acceping the new rules. I played 3rd edition most of my gaming life. But ADnD 2nd edition is where I began. And I see a lot of influence of ADnD in the new rules. Which I realy like.

Nah. A lot of what they say is a punch in the guy to a lot of 4E players.

It's really hard to be sure which audience will accept it the most at this point.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Nah. A lot of what they say is a punch in the guy to a lot of 4E players.

It's really hard to be sure which audience will accept it the most at this point.

It's funny how perceptions differ. Personally (and to a lot of OSR) 5E looks like it's continuing the path of 4E and the cautious optimism has gone out the window.

IronWolf

blank
I am still cautiously optimistic. That optimism took a bit of a hit with the departure of Monte Cook, but we'll see how things pan out. Looking forward to seeing the open play test materials next week.

It's funny how perceptions differ. Personally (and to a lot of OSR) 5E looks like it's continuing the path of 4E and the cautious optimism has gone out the window.
Funny. I see influences of all editions. Which is actually what they promised. And IMHO they are doing great so far. And as long as 4e won´t be thrown out of the window, they can´t do wrong. (And with throwing out of the window, i mean not continuing DDI...)

IronWolf

blank
(And with throwing out of the window, i mean not continuing DDI...)

Electronic access for game prep and at the gaming table will be a factor in my choice to adopt the new system most likely. DDI in its current state would be a con for my adoption having been spoiled by 3.x and Pathfinder.

rogueattorney

Adventurer
I'm curious but not particularly optimistic.

We just started a Classic Traveler campaign last night and it was a blast.

I'm also having fun stocking my super-ultra-mega-dungeon for B/X D&D.

So, if WotC doesn't hit it out of the park, I probably won't notice.

The feeling I'm getting is that instead of going with a relatively light set of core rules that can be added onto to make it into "your D&D," they're leaning towards an immensely heavy "everything but the kitchen sink" approach to inclusiveness and 1,000 pages of core rules, which doesn't interest me at all. Maybe they'll surprise me.

Wulfgar76

First Post
Hopeful.

I am a 4th edition DM who can't stand it any longer.
And I have no intention of returning to the horrors of 2e and 3e.

If 5e is the simple, painless, breath of fresh air it's looking to be, I will be very happy.

Tom Servo

First Post
Extremely curious and hopeful, though expecting to be disappointed.

The information released so far has been hit and miss for me. Some of it I really like. The flatter math thing in particular, also the latest post regarding skills looks awesome. Some of it I really don't like. The recent wizard/magic-user article for example.

The main reason I expect to be disappointed is that WotC hasn't released anything I've particularly cared for since the 3.5 Spell Compendium at the end of '05. I would be surprised if that suddenly changed.

I do hold out hope though. If I can get a particular playstyle out of 5e I'll seriously consider switching, even if I have to live with a few things I don't like. I love 3.0/3.5/PF, but I am definitely burned out on it.

qstor

Adventurer
I'm cautiously optimistic, with a dash of cynicism and bias towards older (pre-3e) D&D.

Still, I’m participating in the playtest to get my input out there. I feel it is my duty as a D&D fan, after all :)

I started the playtest but we haven't met in a while. It was good but I might end up sticking with Pathfinder unless something in 5e really blows me away.

Mike

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads