• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How are people currently feeling about 5e?

n00bdragon

First Post
At first I was cautiously optimistic, then when they started giving wind of what they were making I recoiled in horror. It's gone so far off the deep end of everything I don't want in a game though it's crossed the line twice and now I find it hilarious in its badness.

S

Sunseeker

I just had a great session today that scratched my D&D itch perfectly. Since I have a system that allows me to run the game I want, there is only upside to 5E. Either it's even better than my current choice, so I'll switch, or it's not, then I don't.

This is kinda what bugs me about this topic, and others like it. DDN shouldn't have to be the BEST EDITION EVER ZOMGWTFBBQ!!! I like 3rd, I like 4th, I like Pathfinder(but still hate Wayne Reynolds), I like half a dozen other gaming systems. I play any and all of them with my friends and have fun.

I doubt I'll ever have a "#1 fav system", but I'm certainly more than happy to have fun in a new system.

DDN shouldn't have to try to be the best of the best, it should try to be fun and engaging. Maybe it's only 90% as fun as 3.x and maybe it's 150% more fun than 4e. Maybe it's half as good as 2e and twice as good as Basic.

I don't think it's realistic to expect any edition to be 100% better than every single other system, even if it is highly modular. But I do think that DDN could be a great game in it's own right, even if it's not ZOMGWTF BEST EDITION EVER!!11

This is kinda what bugs me about this topic, and others like it. DDN shouldn't have to be the BEST EDITION EVER ZOMGWTFBBQ!!! I like 3rd, I like 4th, I like Pathfinder(but still hate Wayne Reynolds), I like half a dozen other gaming systems. I play any and all of them with my friends and have fun.

I doubt I'll ever have a "#1 fav system", but I'm certainly more than happy to have fun in a new system.

DDN shouldn't have to try to be the best of the best, it should try to be fun and engaging. Maybe it's only 90% as fun as 3.x and maybe it's 150% more fun than 4e. Maybe it's half as good as 2e and twice as good as Basic.

I don't think it's realistic to expect any edition to be 100% better than every single other system, even if it is highly modular. But I do think that DDN could be a great game in it's own right, even if it's not ZOMGWTF BEST EDITION EVER!!11

I get this. It's just sometimes you'd like WOTC to still support the edition you like playing. Once they don't support it anymore because the focus is on the next edition, it sometimes feels like something is missing.

Of course nobody needs to switch if DDN isn't as fun as whatever edition they are currently playing. But if you want new material, updates and all of that, then it's necessary to be a part of whatever edition is current.

That stuff isn't necessary, but it can be fun and nice to delve into new material about what you're playing.

Basically I totally agree with sticking with whichever edition works best for you, but I also understand the lure and pull something new.

Also one edition may start off not up to par, but as it evolves and new things are introduced, and errata and other problems fixed, it may become better. So keeping up with DDN in the hopes that happens if it starts off poorly is also a possibility.

Shemeska

Adventurer
Monte leaving doesn't exactly look healthy, but I still want to give 5e the benefit of the doubt. Best case scenario, I have two systems I like for D&D, and if 5e is even remotely matched for my gaming aesthetics, that's good. After all, WotC controls IP (Planescape) that I would give non-vital bodily organs to write for, and if they tank, there goes the chance of that. :)

I really don't care -at all- about game mechanics in 5e. What I care about is the integrity of the flavor to 1e/2e/3e and a lot of the game's classic, core assumptions and meanings. I want 9 alignments, I want tieflings to have variety and multiple fiendish lineages, I want archons/guardinals/eladrin/slaadi/modrons/tanar'ri/baatezu/yugoloths. I don't want an apology for 4e, and I don't expect for a 5e FR to own up for its implosion and interest me again, but I hope for a return to generally what I expect from D&D's history and development over a longer period than I've been alive (though not averse to certain of 4e's seemingly random changes and retcons being preserved as options).

I'm trying to be optimistic, even if it's hard at times. But we'll see what develops.

Ahnehnois

First Post
I'm concerned, because this feels like a turning point. Certainly, there's an opportunity to fix D&D, both as a ruleset and a business. However, it is, as someone once said, foolish to expect the same people to produce different results. After the departure of the biggest new voice, this seems even more problematic.

So how do I feel? Like we'd better speak out loud and then cross our fingers and hope someone listens.

Hangfire

First Post
I just had a great session today that scratched my D&D itch perfectly. Since I have a system that allows me to run the game I want, there is only upside to 5E. Either it's even better than my current choice, so I'll switch, or it's not, then I don't.

I think this might be the hardest thing for WotC to overcome. There are other very good games out there doing what D&D used to do for me. I don't need another edition of D&D to play the games that I want - so I can be very picky with the new edition. Like mkill says - it will either be better than what I'm using now, and I'll switch, or it won't, and I will stick with what's working for me right now.

I can't wait to see the playtest material, and my group is ready to jump in a give it a try. Beyond that I'm willing to wait and see what they have to offer.

kitsune9

Adventurer
My original opinion on 5e hasn't changed--I would love to see WotC succeed in their efforts. My preferred system is Pathfinder as it's what works for me. I will get their 5e "Core" set just for collecting purposes, but I just don't see myself switching; however, I like to be part of the process and provide input.

Very optimistic. The more I hear, the more I like. :)

However I guess the 3rd edition crowd will have the hardest time acceping the new rules. I played 3rd edition most of my gaming life. But ADnD 2nd edition is where I began. And I see a lot of influence of ADnD in the new rules. Which I realy like.

Li Shenron

Legend
Personally I feel curious and moderately optimistic.

But most importantly I am not worried at all. It might sound nasty and snob to say this, but really if 5e fails it's not my problem. I enjoyed 3.0 a lot, and I can always go back to play it, or try some even older edition, or some other RPG outright.

Really, it's WotC which should worry about winning me again as a customer, the problem is theirs, not mine.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads