• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How can a Warlock be a prisoner?

Kingreaper

Adventurer
After having a campaign experience a PC who spent the majority of his cash on Dimensional Shackles, I'm slightly wary of potential cheese which certain players I know might come up with.

Given as dimensional shackles address a rather different issue, I'm not seeing where the link is?

What sort of issue did you have with the dimensional shackles?

surfarcher

First Post
There's lots of ways and I guess it depends on how well prepared the captor is for that particular prisoner too.

Here's one example with the Infernal Warlock example. If he's unconscious he can't use his powers. And if he's lowered, while unconscious, into a 1,000 foot stone pit he won't "step" anywhere. He can eldritch blast the walls to his heart's content... But does he want to blast whoever's lowering food down to him on a rope?

In my games characters use their minds and bodies as conduits for their powers and I think that's a reasonable assumption that falls well within the system. It stands to reason that if either is disabled they cannot use their powers. How you achieve that is up to you.

I think that's the point of PHB54 (as soem other folks have pointed out). It really does indicate that the DM can capture and restrain characters. Just make sure the way you manage to do it sounds reasonable.

Argyle King

Legend
Given as dimensional shackles address a rather different issue, I'm not seeing where the link is?

What sort of issue did you have with the dimensional shackles?

In one campaign, the following became the default tactic for the group: Combat Advantage ---> Shackles ---> murder the virtually helpless creatures while they are shackled ---> remove shackles from dead bodies ---> repeat same tactic next encounter

With virtually no chance for any creature to ever escape the shackles, this lead to a somewhat boring campaign.

Ebylon

First Post
This is answered pretty simply. Just say that he has a temporary rune branded on him that disrupts spellcasting. It's a Macguffin for any character really. Put a collar on a druid that cancels Wild Shaping and primal powers, runes/bracelets/necklaces on Divine and Arcane characters. Martial chars might need more creativity. ("Hey! Warlord! You can't say inspiring :):):):) when imprisoned!")

MarkB

Legend
Gloves of the Bounty Hunter, level 8 Hands slot item from Adventurers' Vault. When you reduce someone to 0 HP and knock them out, they regain consciousness at 1 HP only after an extended rest.

Just have someone pummel the warlock while wearing these each day just after he wakes up and eats breakfast, and he'll be no trouble. And if he tries to escape during breakfast time while on 1 hit point, more fool him.

Kingreaper

Adventurer
In one campaign, the following became the default tactic for the group: Combat Advantage ---> Shackles ---> murder the virtually helpless creatures while they are shackled ---> remove shackles from dead bodies ---> repeat same tactic next encounter

With virtually no chance for any creature to ever escape the shackles, this lead to a somewhat boring campaign.

In 4e, the assumption is that you don't have Save or Dies.

"I put a shackle on him" is a Save or Die. Don't let them do it mid-combat.

I can't see being able to shackle anyone who isn't at LEAST unconscious.

holywhitetrash

First Post
this is a lvl 3 character all this magic circle, magic shackles, and runes are just way to much its simple enough to just use the tied up and gagged or say because of the extreme condition torture/hard labor they have put him through has left him with a handful of hit points and surges

i mean if this lvl 3 character is so much of a hassle that his captors had to find some random ritual to keep him from escaping why don't they just kill him? he is obviously costing them more money than he is making them.

also the magic circle idea is pretty unimpressive unless the character is lower level than someone in the existing party.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cormacolinde

First Post

Except for the fact any minion or ally of the shackled creature can get him out easily? So the player wastes a standard action so that another creature loses a standard action? That's incredibly inefficient.

It's pretty good against solos, I admit. But just keep some minion reserves to assist your solo until after he uses the shackles.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads