D&D 5E How Can D&D Next Win You Over?

Tony Vargas

Legend
If only I could "wing" Hero like I could AD&D; I'd never need another system.
It is possible to "wing" Hero. I've done it, for much of a campaign, in fact. As with any system you just have to be very familiar with it... there's just a lot to be very familiar with. ;) And, of course, there's a knack to it that's not entirely learned - part of it is just liking to run in that style. I know very good DMs who will not 'wing' anything more than they absolutely have to.

I've been pleasently surprised by how much they have innovated so far, with things like bounded accuracy, ability-score saving throws, skills being tied to background instead of class,
Bounded accuracy is just the 4e treadmill switched off. Ability-score saving throws I seem to recall from classic D&D (maybe 2e - not in the same sense, mind you, it was rolling under your stat for things not covered by regular saves). Skills by Background reminds me strongly of the AD&D 'secondary skill' table, where you determined what sort of work you were learning to do before you took up adventuring.

Advantage/Disadvantage is the only new idea I noticed in the playtest. Not sure how good an idea it is, but it's new. And, even it's not /that/ new, as 4e was full of re-rolls.

3) Create a basic ruleset that celebrates the key distinction of D&D being the first RPG ever made - and not reliant upon miniatures and wargaming tropes in order to be able to play.
So, celebrate D&D's origin, while at the same time denying its roots? D&D grew out of Chainmail, which was a wargame, and 0D&D had 'wargames' and 'miniature figures' right on the cover.

BobTheNob

First Post
At this stage I like what I hear coming from WOTC. Frankly, so much of what they have promised are the things I was crying for whilst playing previous editions (for example, flattened probability math).

For me though, its a return to the strength of tabletop. Less combat emphasis, more RP emphasis, and above all else a system that rewards creative thinking relative to capability.

Harlock

First Post
Ah. Well, in that case, they don't have much chance, with me. Games are not "significant others". I see no reason to devote myself to just one for longer than one campaign.

Well, without side-tracking the thread too much, I am fascinated by this comment! Just how long has your longest campaign been?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Well, without side-tracking the thread too much, I am fascinated by this comment! Just how long has your longest campaign been?

Well, I've had my share of campaigns that just never go anywhere - people get busy, scheduling issues arise, and such. But the ones that don't die young? Multiple years. The longest that I've run was probably 4 or 5 years - they generally end as lives change and people move away and such.

But, it sounded like your "stick with it" is more akin to "D&D is my game - it is the game I play". Right now I am running a Classic Deadlands game, I'm playing in one Star Wars Saga Edition game, I'm in an online Dresden Files game, and someone I know may be starting a White Wolf game soon that I might be asked to join, as the GM has moved to be within a mile of my house.

Fidelity? Not so much. I like to play around. :p

So, celebrate D&D's origin, while at the same time denying its roots? D&D grew out of Chainmail, which was a wargame, and 0D&D had 'wargames' and 'miniature figures' right on the cover.

D&D's legacy was that it evolved from war-games, and created a new medium for interacting in fantasy worlds where you were only limited by your imagination.

When I first played D&D there was no requirement to use miniatures at all, and it's only been in recent editions where designers have chosen to make this aspect more prominent again, and hardwire it into the rules. Personally, I find that this approach is rejecting the single aspect of D&D that made it significantly different to war-games in the first place.

Stormonu

Legend
Like my Mom taught me, long ago, concerning dinners - you need to try a bit of it first before you decide you don't like it.

Well, don't know about you, but I'd never try a dinner of escargot, no matter what - so there are some things (well, actually a lot) that I just am unwilling to try. Same goes for RPGs - say, like F.A.T.A.L.

Don't stray too far from my cheeseburger and fries (or steak and potato) :D.

I don't get the sense though, WotC's offering is off and away from the "fast food" menu.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Same goes for RPGs - say, like F.A.T.A.L.

Ah. Well, for these purposes, FATAL is not really an RPG. It is either a satire (assuming the author was joking) or a socio-political screed (if the author was serious). Either way, it isn't a playable game - if only because the approach to the subject matter makes the players want to vomit. :)

Celestian

Explorer
To get me to buy "next" product they will need to make it so I can use the product in my AD&D games. Or allow me to use AD&D modules using the "next" system without a huge amount of conversion. Ascending AC/BaB is ok, all the skills/feats/powers is not.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Ah. Well, for these purposes, FATAL is not really an RPG. It is either a satire (assuming the author was joking) or a socio-political screed (if the author was serious). Either way, it isn't a playable game - if only because the approach to the subject matter makes the players want to vomit. :)

So...what you're saying is...F.A.T.A.L. is a Retch Provoking Game.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases