D&D 5E How common is resurrection in your game?

Raise Dead or Resurrection are as common as PCs need it to be. If they want their beloved character to return, there will be a priest that can cast the spell. But such services come at a price, which is generally some sort of perilous quest. I take death as an opportunity to tell new adventures.

Mercule

Adventurer
In 35 years of gaming (not just as DM), I think I've seen two raise dead type events, and one was in Fantasy Hero so probably doesn't count. In that time, I've probably seen 30-40 PC deaths (in a D&D like setting). So, 2.5-3% of deaded characters get raised.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Ha! Trick question.

No one ever dies in 5e. They just get knocked down to 0hp, and pop back up.

;)
Not when the only healer gets knocked down and then the bad guy stands over them and drives the blade home. We temporarily lost two people in that battle.

clearstream

(He, Him)
In my OOTA campaign, there have been 11 characters generated.

Snorri (L5) - living
Viora (L2) - enslaved (not playable)
Blake (L3) - dead, made undead (not Raise-able)
Balasar (L4) - dead, under Gentle Repose
Beci (L4) - dead, under Gentle Repose

Corrin (L5) - living
Shale (L4) - dead, under contracted Gentle Repose for 78 more days
Elim (L4) - living
Damakos (L3) - living
Miliko (L3) - living
Rhym (L3) - living

So 4 deaths and currently no revives. If the PCs set their minds to it, they may be able to revive one or two of those under Gentle Repose. Three is probably beyond their reach.

Last edited:

Zipster

Explorer
I've been a joint DM and player in an adventure that has gone on for a year now with characters that our group has played for nearly two years. We've done a fairly well system of rotating dms so everyone can tell a story with these characters.

We all started at level 3 and are presently level 14.

We've had a bunch of close calls and near death experiences - even intentionally by the hand of PCs (a PC paladin was starting to go down a dark path and two party members knocked him out and threatened to kill him to stop him from falling).

That said, there has now also been 4 player deaths as we hit the end of this story arc, and they've all been unexpected. At level 13 one pc was disintegrated, one was outright killed by an enemy in a ambush and had his head kersmashed. One died in battle and had his body nearly fully disolved by acid and subsequently died a second time when suffering the penalties of ressurrection but was saved by revivify.

We've used all the deaths to greatly enhance the story. When my PC died in the ambush (unplanned to die, just how the die went) we made a big thing about ressurrecting him. As a fiend pact warlock we decided that a pit fiend would actively attempt to stop the ressurrection and attempted to manifest itself and claim the soul of the PC.

We devised a system in which over the course of an hour the pit fiend would materialize, growing stronger and sending in waves of demons and the party could either lessen the strength of the waves of enemies or block the fiends full manifestation through a series of skill checks interspersed through the ritual and waves of enemies.

When we had a PC die of disintegration, the party was flabbergasted. It was the same battle that killed the other pc as well, making a somber experience. The parties cleric ressurrected the PC who died in the acid, and the stat penalties for his resurrection have been a fun penalty to impose. Word of his ressurrection reached the bad guys who have made several attempts on his life again, keeping him as a target and changing how the PC has to play until he recovers fully.

The PC who was disintegrated played it very well. Even though, the rolls off the die, he received a True Ressurrection from a npc cleric who used divine intervention, the player had to decide if he were truly willing to come back to a war afterspending time in his goddess's sacred heavenly Grove.

Even though all the PCs who have died have been ressurrected there has been a cost (party was given 100,000 gold to defend and prepare a city) as the enemies are smart, and keeping an eye on all the things that happen, targeting those NPCs and PCs with the capability to ressurrect and taking advantage of the PCs weakness after they are brought back.

On top of that, the enemies are capable of ressurrection as well.

The PCs deaths have given the characters and players real motivation to go after the bad guys. They hate them. The constant ambushes and escapes have been a great thing for the table while they have a huge list of things to do.

We made sure that ressurrection wouldn't cheapen our story, but has enriched it and let us tell the stories we want as a dm. Our players know that there is a real threat and spells like disintegration and finger of death will and can kill them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using EN World mobile app

fjw70

Adventurer
I typically don't allow resurrection or raise dead. I like death to be permanent in most cases. I have only broken this rule once.while playing 4e one of the PCs died and the player was really bummed. So I allowed the PC to make a deal with the Raven Queen to come back and finish the campaign.

clearstream

(He, Him)
I typically don't allow resurrection or raise dead. I like death to be permanent in most cases. I have only broken this rule once.while playing 4e one of the PCs died and the player was really bummed. So I allowed the PC to make a deal with the Raven Queen to come back and finish the campaign.
Sounds fair. How frequent is death in your campaign would you say? So far I have 4 deaths for 11 characters rolled.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I'm curious how common resurrection is assumed to be. Out of every N deaths, how often can characters expect to be raised? Does it vary for you by tier?

In my game coming back from the dead is rare. Souls go to their deity and add to that deity's power. Raising a person takes that soul from that god, diminishing the power. When a cleric raises someone who follows another god, he is indebting his god to the the one whose power is being diminished, and that's not done lightly. Even if the PC follows the same god, the cleric is still diminishing his own god and that's not a good thing unless it's for for a very, very good reason, such as advancing his god's portfolio by a considerable amount.

Remove ads