D&D 5E How common is resurrection in your game?

aco175

Legend
Raise Dead or Resurrection are as common as PCs need it to be. If they want their beloved character to return, there will be a priest that can cast the spell. But such services come at a price, which is generally some sort of perilous quest. I take death as an opportunity to tell new adventures.

This! Typically the PCs encounter combats that are overcome with a few each dungeon that are threatening to the point where they think they are overmatched to the point they should run away. They seem to always stay and the fight works out for them, sometimes barely.

Draegn

Explorer
In my game arcane casters can heal and bring back the dead if they choose to learn health spells. However it is difficult requiring one spell per wound. Only one spell can be used per wound so the "slot" used has to be high enough to potentially cover the damage. Even then there may still be a bad roll. Damage not healed by the spell must be recovered by rest. The recipient of the magic has a high chance of ending up like the Mountain after Qyburn worked on him in GoT.

For divine casters healing injuries including death is subjectively easier, their prayers tend to do and be more powerful than the arcane ones. They spend a number of "faith points" equal to the number of wounds received and if they have prayed to the "right" god (deities being fickle) the damage is healed or the person is raised. However, there is always a cost depending on to which god was called upon.

So far only the druid in the game has invested the time and costs to bring back two NPC children that other party members influenced into doing dangerous things.

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
I'm curious how common resurrection is assumed to be. Out of every N deaths, how often can characters expect to be raised? Does it vary for you by tier?

Extremely, extremely rare. In 35+ years, I'm thinking it's happened less than 5 times. But it's always dependent upon the story. The possibility exists, but there's always a cost to go with it. This includes things like revivify and raise dead.

How hard it is to die depends on the players and the type of campaign. If they are the type of players that like a more scripted epic-style campaign where I'm providing more of the story for them to experience, then it's the 5e death and dying rules, with minor modifications (1 level of exhaustion, + 1 per failed death save - although you recover all levels of exhaustion during a long rest).

In my regular campaign, it requires a 13 for a successful death save. And intelligent enemies will take a final shot if the circumstances warrant it.

In all cases, healing magic is less potent, and requires much higher level magic to heal things like injuries and disease, which cause long term exhaustion.

But, combat is also not the default option to my players in encounters. There are still plenty of combats, but they are careful about when and how they get into combat when they can be, and they aren't afraid to flee.

Xeviat

Hero
No one has yet died in my 5E games. In 3E, the only two deaths in my games were in the final sessions of a campaign, so there were no resurrections.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove ads