How difficult is it to change the monster type mechanic?

VelvetViolet

Adventurer
The monster type mechanic doesn't fit with the world building of my campaign. As far as I can tell, the rules as written do not allow you to add multiple types to a creature, change its type to another, or change the standard listing of types. The standard types mechanic does not fit with my campaign world and I would like to change it. For example, deleting types like aberration, celestial, fiend, monstrosity, elemental, and fey, then introduce new types like biomechanoid, manifestation, spirit and sphinx. How difficult would that be? Is it better for me to switch to a different game entirely?

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
How difficult would it be? Where exactly are these types appearing for you and what do you need to change them on?

Yeah, the types are in the books, but you can just ignore them. There are a few places that use the types in class features and the like (like the Ranger's Favored Enemy, several of the Cleric's Turn abilities under Channel Divinity), but you only need to rename them if/when you have players who select those options. Other than that... you can ignore those names to your pleasure and substitute your own if/when they ever come up.

Staffan

Legend
Unlike 3e, the monster types have no inherent meaning - they are just keywords that other effects can attach to. For example, there's nothing about the Undead monster type that says they can't be healed, but some/all healing spells specify that they don't work on undead.

So, if you're willing to do the work and figure out how monster type-based effects interact with your new monster types, or make a case-by-case judgment (e.g. "Spirit sounds like something otherworldly, so they should probably be affected by protection from good and evil just like fey and aberrations") there shouldn't be any problem.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
Adding on to what DEFCON and Staffan said: Two other types that are very important are humanoid, since many spells only affect humanoids (well actually it's not that many but it includes some classics like charm person, hold person, and dominate person), and beast because a lot of polymorph effects are limited to turning you into beasts. Also a lot of spells, like magic circle and forbiddance affect a standard list of "celestials, elementals, fey, fiends, and undead," sometimes with aberrations too (like in protection from evil and good).

As far as I can tell, the rules as written do not allow you to add multiple types to a creature, change its type to another, or change the standard listing of types.
What? The rules say no such thing. In fact I'm sure someone can find a sentence or three in the DMG that says you can change anything you want.

Do what you want as the others have said, just be aware of the impacts (not too significant). Have fun:)

ccs

41st lv DM
As far as I can tell, the rules as written do not allow you to add multiple types to a creature, change its type to another, or change the standard listing of types. The standard types mechanic does not fit with my campaign world and I would like to change it.

DM > the rules.
This is a truth every DM needs to embrace. So embrace it. Change whatever you will. and as mentioned you'll want to consider how this'll effect certain spells/items/maybe a few class features.

But first, here, read this. It's from the Moldvay edition of the D&D Basic set from '81. It's as good as advice today as it was back then.

"While the material in this booklet is referred to as rules, that is not really correct. Anything in this booklet (and other D&D booklets) should be thought of as changeable - anything, that is, that the Dungeon Master or referee thinks should be changed. This is not to say that everything in this booklet should be discarded! All of this material has been carefully thought out and playtested. However, if, after playing the rules as written for a while, you or your referee (the Dungeon Master) think something should be changed, first think about how the changes will affect the game, and then go ahead. The purpose of these "rules" is to provide guidelines that enable you to play and have fun, so don't feel absolutely bound by them.

Sadly the current writers have neglected to spell this out as plainly in the current edition. It's in there, but it's all mixed throughout, implied, & it's easy to fall into the mentality trap of Rules-As-Written.

I would say find a excel/google sheet of all the monsters (google it there are like 5 working ones) they usually have a type column that you could just go through and change case by case.

That is the practical answer w.r.t. the other answers given.

jasper

Rotten DM
You need two lists. One new monster type list. See my spreadsheet in the downloads and just add a new column. Player list. Hey guys swap out fiend for manifestation. Enjoy the typing.

I keep an Excel sheet here: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?491069-5e-Lists-of-Monsters-Spells-Races-Feats-Etc. All the monsters from official WotC products are there (as are monsters from what I assume are widely read 3PP products like Fifth Edition Foes and Tome of Beasts [I am slowly entering their sequels]). Feel free to download it.

One more thing:

Subtypes can cross types (for example there are humanoid elves and celestial elves), so it may be easier to keep the types and change the subtypes. Fewer spells/objects affect subtypes.

Last edited:

Remove ads