How do YOU decide what to run?

jhallum

Explorer
We've been running a lot of shorter campaigns since we finished a 2 year long Strahd game (4-6 months, maybe 12-18 sessions each). We have a running list of 6-8 one paragraph pitch notes that people can choose, and we've been pretty much going with majority rules when one game ends and selecting what other game starts. We also run two games side by side (2 weeks on-2 weeks off) so people don't get burned out setting up or playing games. We also have a pool of 5 or so GMs in our 7 person group, so there's always people and always ideas. Some people live for 5E, so they always put up 5E, others like to run different systems and therefore we get to try new things. It works out pretty well for us.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I look for the intersection in the Venn Diagram of "what do I want to run" and my best guess of "what will this group of players want to play", and then I put out some pitches.

My 5e D&D "Masks of the Imperium" campaign just ended last week after 3 years of play. I'm taking a short break with another GM running a few one-shots, and then I'm going to pitch a bunch of ideas. I'm a bit burnt out on running 5e right now and would prefer to run something else before returning to it, but that group is rather 5e focused. And I have one very tactically interested player who I don't know will fit well in the other RPG suggestions I would make for the rest of the group. It may end up 5e again simply because that's what all the players in the group are familiar with, which will be among my pitches.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I am an odd cat in that I like to run and play games. When I do run, I take it pretty serious and expect the campaign to take a few years to play out. I do one shots on occasion too on top of that. So, when I finish running something, I usually recharge my battery by playing for a bit. That period also gets my creative juices flowing and I come up with my next big concept/game.
I think most of us like do to both, or would if had the opportunity. I definitely think spending time on both sides of the DM screen improves you as both player and DM.

In both groups I run for, I'm generally the GM. But I also am in two other groups where I'm generally the player. So it works out.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I think most of us like do to both, or would if had the opportunity. I definitely think spending time on both sides of the DM screen improves you as both player and DM.

In both groups I run for, I'm generally the GM. But I also am in two other groups where I'm generally the player. So it works out.
I guess I didnt think it was common since so many folks claim to be forever GMs. I know a number of folks personally, that do not like playing but only GMing. So, yeah I was generalizing. Just assumed it was common enough.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Huh. I have never encountered that. I would love to play more than I do, but I'm the person willing to GM, so GM I do.
Yeah some "forever GMs" I know just seem to be sympathy shopping. The second they are in the player chair, they start trying to sabotage the game so they can reclaim the GM seat. 🤷‍♂️ There are many players happy to just be players too.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
This made my brain explode!

I like to introduce my group to new RPGs that I'm enthusiastic about. As a result we have a number of (semi-)active but not-quite-finished campaigns!

At the moment my enthusiasm is focused on Torchbearer. The next new thing I want to GM is Apocalypse World.
Torchbearer 2e was 107th on my list (mostly because I have played it twice - and I'm not sure I have a group for it), Apocalypse World Burned Over was 9th on my list

Remove ads