How do you feel about learning new rule systems?

When I started gaming, learning new game systems was pretty typical. D&D was always the go to for most groups, but we used to love trying out other games and many made their way permanently into our playgroups through this process. If someone found a new and interesting looking system, we pretty much always down to trying it out. Personally I find it fun and interesting to try new systems. I remember running things like Earth Dawn, Dark Sword (the novel series had a paper back RPG book), TORG (which we ended up playing a lot), Godlike, BESM, as well as many more standard games (GURPS, Runequest, etc).

Ulfgeir

Hero
I remember running things like Earth Dawn, Dark Sword (the novel series had a paper back RPG book), TORG (which we ended up playing a lot), Godlike, BESM, as well as many more standard games (GURPS, Runequest, etc).

I have the Dark Sword adventures rpg at home, but I always felt it was system that was unrunnable (from reading it). Never got to actually try and play it. what was your experience of it?

I have the Dark Sword adventures rpg at home, but I always felt it was system that was unrunnable (from reading it). Never got to actually try and play it. what was your experience of it?

I didn't run it, another GM in our group did (so not sure how much he was tinkering with the rules). But the magic system was one I remember we all liked a lot at the time.

Nytmare

David Jose
I'm not opposed to learning new games or systems, and I'm thrilled that we're well out of the woods of "This is a new RPG that looks suspiciously like D&D with a couple coats of paint on it!" The overwhelming majority of the RPG rulebooks I've read over the last 15 years are for games that I would love to, but have never had a chance to play.

I'm also in the been-playing-40-years club, but learning and teaching people new games has been a pretty much weekly activity for me for the last 20+ years.

Remove ads