• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How Do You Feel About Published Adventures as a GM?

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
big campaign length adventures like Paizo APs and WotC 5E adventures.
I have never run one of those. The closest I’ve come is running one adventure from the Savage Tide AP (the second!) back in 3.xE days before events drew us off the path requiring me to readjust everything.

Committed Hero

Adventurer
When I started playing in the early 2000's I didn't know there was such a thing as published adventures. We bought all of our books from Borders, which is a now defunct chain bookstore, similar to a Barnes and Noble.
You punched my old card with this.

I could also rant about how the set up in one of them (cough*Tomb of Annihilation*cough) is explicitly set up with an actual time limit, i.e. Do The Thing or Everyone* DIES OR WORSE, yet the adventure is written like a sandbox.
I don't see why a sandbox can't have a timer, however. It can make the setting dynamic.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter

I don't see why a sandbox can't have a timer, however. It can make the setting dynamic.
It's not a hate of reading, it is a hate of having the excavate the necessary information from walls of prose in order to run the adventure. It is a hate for the complete lack of utility in both the writing and the layout of these sorts of adventures, and a hate for the way the writes want to waste our time.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
It's not a hate of reading, it is a hate of having the excavate the necessary information from walls of prose in order to run the adventure. It is a hate for the complete lack of utility in both the writing and the layout of these sorts of adventures, and a hate for the way the writes want to waste our time.
As a technical writer, I find the Paizo APs to have an excellent layout. Adventure summary right in the beginning, location details, maps, encounter specifics. You can even download the files in compartmental pieces. 🤷‍♂️

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
As a technical writer, I find the Paizo APs to have an excellent layout. Adventure summary right in the beginning, location details, maps, encounter specifics. You can even download the files in compartmental pieces. 🤷‍♂️
And yet they still bury an important piece of information like a DC in the middle of a paragraph. Paizo adventures are terrible for utility, and they admit it, because they know most folks read their APs for enjoyment rather than run them (James Jacobs told me this directly on the Paizo forums).

Meech17

WotC President Runner-Up.
I was more clarifying for the sake of ENWorlds large international population.. But yeah.. Isn't it wild that that Borders closed over a decade ago?

Remember how back then Barnes and Noble was like the "Big Bad Guy" as far as bookstores went? And now they're like the last bastion of retail book sellers?

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
And yet they still bury an important piece of information like a DC in the middle of a paragraph. Paizo adventures are terrible for utility, and they admit it, because they know most folks read their APs for enjoyment rather than run them (James Jacobs told me this directly on the Paizo forums).
Link? cause this sounds out of context.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
4e adventures were quite easy from a layout perspective, but IIRC, people hated the presentation of adventures. (I'm hoping this doesn't start another edition war).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads