How do you handle evil?

Well how do you handle it?

• I'm okay with players choosing any alignment.

Votes: 30 42.9%
  • I think players who choose an evil alignment are edgelords/wangrods.

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • I don't understand how a player can make an evil character with in my campaign.

Votes: 8 11.4%
  • Evil? I think evil is so fun I've made evil campaigns set in mostly evil worlds.

Votes: 8 11.4%
  • I throw up my hands at alignment because the players are all murderhobos anyways.

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • I just don't find evil all that fun.

Votes: 38 54.3%

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
Mostly it comes down to the setting, and my anecdotal experience (which is only like half-a-dozen players, if that).

First, I chose "they're all murderhobos anyway" - I generally don't use alignment, just because evil isn't really a check box on a driver's license. (Except when it is, as in settings where good/evil are little more than elemental substances.) In a hack and slash or gonzo games meant for muderhobos, the PCs all go nuts, anyway, so trying to map their behavior onto a single term is a lost cause. Which is fine, because tracking that mostly irrelevant to the nature of the that sort of game.

Second, I chose "they're edgelords/wangrods" - I don't actually fully agree with this, because the those terms are way too loaded. But it's the closest to my feelings on it, which just comes from personal experience. IME, PCs actually are not murderhobos for the most part, at least not in campaigns where that's not the intended mode of play. In such games, the few players I've GMed for/played with who insisted on evil characters:
- either ended up being disruptive (because they were "it's what my character would do!" -type of edgelords/wangrods);
- or else decided early on that they didn't really enjoy playing evil, because of (surprise!) in-game consequences.
In other words, these players simply had no idea how to play "evil" in any sort of interesting or enlightening way, session after session.* The jerkwads, of course, got uninvited. And as for others, not grokking "evil" is fine, because for most of the people I've played with, brutally honest examination of the depths of human depravity is not a thing we've really wanted to explore during fun time. For those who've wanted to play out a redemption arc, or struggle with vice, or whatever, those things have been perfectly doable without playing a fully corrupted soul.

Now I know there are groups and campaigns for which evil PCs work fine, and that there are players who can be mature and insightful about it. It's just that I personally have never seen that; and it's just not important enough to me to waste perfectly good game hours waiting to see it work. So I just axe it straight away, and save everyone the frustration.

* "But what about the GM??" The way I see it, the GM doesn't necessarily need to be especially good at "doing evil." Their job is just to provide bad guys for the PCs to deal with. For the sake of just having fun, it's fine that those villains be caricatures, just like an action movie bad guy. They don't need to be complexly lacquered with pathos and vileness; they just need to be frustrating enough to be a satisfying and gloat-worthy victory for the PCs in the end. Now my preferences are lean to short campaign, so the miniseries or movie-trilogy model of relatively shallow bad guy works fine. For very long term campaigns, I can certainly buy an argument favoring lots of depth in an arch-nemesis.

delericho

Legend
I don' use alignment these days, which largely makes the discussion moot - it's amazing just how much difference is made just by dropping two little words from the character sheet.

Back when I did use alignment, I ran a few evil campaigns and had a few evil PCs in regular campaigns, with mixed results. I eventually settled on the following, which actually applies to the CE assassin, the LG paladin, the ultra-loner like Wolverine, and indeed anyone else: "You can either choose to play your character in a manner that makes the game more fun for everyone else around the table, or you can choose to make the game less fun for everyone else. If the answer is 'less', choose to play at another table."

MGibster

Legend
I don' use alignment these days, which largely makes the discussion moot - it's amazing just how much difference is made just by dropping two little words from the character sheet.
This thread isn't in the D&D area so, broadly speaking at least, I don't think we're really talking about alignment. I think it's more about general behavior in game. I play a lot of Deadlands (Savage Worlds), which doesn't use alignment, but if a PC decided to just start murdering NPCs then it's going to be a problem.

In general if I am running a game, I'm looking for a particular tone. If the players don't want that tone, then another in the group can GM (we all have at one point, so that isn't a "Take my ball and go home" kind of statement that it could sound like). If I am GMing in a public place I make it clear that is what I am after.

I prefer heroes who choose to be heroic. My most commonly GMed and played genre is superheroes - and I like the good guys to be good guys, not dark loners, not anti-heroes. There is value in those types of characters and stories, but it isn't what I am after when I GM.
With fantasy, I pretty much have the same attitude - I want people motivated to go out and do good; getting money for doing good is all well and good (and part of the genre) I don't want mercenaries who do it only for the money or due to self interest. If I am doing D&D with alignment I ban all non good alignments - no evil characters, no only neutral characters.

As for the question about judging people who want to play other ways (including evil games) - I have no judgement - people play for different reasons, and they don't have to be mine... but it is likely I wouldn't play in such a game, just because I wouldn't enjoy it, not because it is a "bad thing (tm)"

Scruffy nerf herder

Toaster Loving AdMech Boi
Mostly it comes down to the setting, and my anecdotal experience (which is only like half-a-dozen players, if that).

First, I chose "they're all murderhobos anyway" - I generally don't use alignment, just because evil isn't really a check box on a driver's license. (Except when it is, as in settings where good/evil are little more than elemental substances.) In a hack and slash or gonzo games meant for muderhobos, the PCs all go nuts, anyway, so trying to map their behavior onto a single term is a lost cause. Which is fine, because tracking that mostly irrelevant to the nature of the that sort of game.

Second, I chose "they're edgelords/wangrods" - I don't actually fully agree with this, because the those terms are way too loaded. But it's the closest to my feelings on it, which just comes from personal experience. IME, PCs actually are not murderhobos for the most part, at least not in campaigns where that's not the intended mode of play. In such games, the few players I've GMed for/played with who insisted on evil characters:
- either ended up being disruptive (because they were "it's what my character would do!" -type of edgelords/wangrods);
- or else decided early on that they didn't really enjoy playing evil, because of (surprise!) in-game consequences.
In other words, these players simply had no idea how to play "evil" in any sort of interesting or enlightening way, session after session.* The jerkwads, of course, got uninvited. And as for others, not grokking "evil" is fine, because for most of the people I've played with, brutally honest examination of the depths of human depravity is not a thing we've really wanted to explore during fun time. For those who've wanted to play out a redemption arc, or struggle with vice, or whatever, those things have been perfectly doable without playing a fully corrupted soul.

Now I know there are groups and campaigns for which evil PCs work fine, and that there are players who can be mature and insightful about it. It's just that I personally have never seen that; and it's just not important enough to me to waste perfectly good game hours waiting to see it work. So I just axe it straight away, and save everyone the frustration.

* "But what about the GM??" The way I see it, the GM doesn't necessarily need to be especially good at "doing evil." Their job is just to provide bad guys for the PCs to deal with. For the sake of just having fun, it's fine that those villains be caricatures, just like an action movie bad guy. They don't need to be complexly lacquered with pathos and vileness; they just need to be frustrating enough to be a satisfying and gloat-worthy victory for the PCs in the end. Now my preferences are lean to short campaign, so the miniseries or movie-trilogy model of relatively shallow bad guy works fine. For very long term campaigns, I can certainly buy an argument favoring lots of depth in an arch-nemesis.

Thank you for being this detailed and sharing your own experiences. It really does depend a lot on your players.

You struck a nice note when you mentioned how fun time and "brutally honest examination of depravity" don't go well together. It might surprise some that I totally agree with this.

What do I mean? Well in your last paragraph about DMs you said that it isn't necessary to make any more than caricature villains. Yes, it may not be necessary, but me and my players do not find caricature villains compelling or fun.

I don't humanize villains because I want everyone to seriously consider evil. I humanize villains because more 3 dimensional villains test the PC's convictions and resolve. They have a real personality in order to put a face on the kind of world and kind of people the PCs want to resist. Caricatures frustrate players for five seconds at a time. True villains thwart and frustrate the players for whole campaigns.

-I'm not at all sure we even agree all that much about what evil is. Which is fair.
I think you're just avoiding the issue.
-It seems as if you're purposely being stubborn and refusing to admit that fiction authors make villain characters that are plainly different from real world villains. I don't know what I'm supposed to do then but disagree?
No, I simply don't agree. You are wrong.
-Yeah you're only further demonstrating that you haven't been coming at the things I've said on their own terms.
No, I simply know that you are wrong.
"A cape and a silly sword are just too awesome to be evil" is incredibly trite and dumb and you're characterizing what I've said that way. That's a glaring straw man.
And again, its your strawman. You're deliberately avoiding the issue.

This thread isn't in the D&D area so, broadly speaking at least, I don't think we're really talking about alignment. I think it's more about general behavior in game. I play a lot of Deadlands (Savage Worlds), which doesn't use alignment, but if a PC decided to just start murdering NPCs then it's going to be a problem.
Exactly. I haven't used an alignment-based system since the '80s, but I still don't allow evil PCs.

Murder hoboes are a particularly loathed player choice. They don't last long at my table.

Scruffy nerf herder

Toaster Loving AdMech Boi
I think you're just avoiding the issue.

No, I simply don't agree. You are wrong.

No, I simply know that you are wrong.

And again, its your strawman. You're deliberately avoiding the issue.

-Okay what's the issue?

-Why should I even engage with someone who takes seriously literally nothing that I say and basically responds with "nuh'uh"? I've engaged your points, have made an effort, and this is all you're willing to offer. It comes across as more than a little condescending and I'm not even sure I'm interested in interacting with you any more.

-What issue?

When you tell someone that they're wrong, you tell them how they're wrong. You respect them enough to explain yourself.

When you tell someone that they're missing the point, that they're avoiding the issue, you explain what they issue is. That's like the basic social contract that comes with another person reading what you've said, taking YOU seriously, and engaging with the points that you make.

If we were only interested in saying "yeah huh" and "nuh'uh" ad nauseam it would be word salad, null talk, blank speech, void language. In other words thanks for wasting my time?

Insulting other members
-Okay what's the issue?
How do GMs handle evil.
-Why should I even engage with someone who takes seriously literally nothing that I say and basically responds with "nuh'uh"? I've engaged your points, have made an effort, and this is all you're willing to offer. It comes across as more than a little condescending and I'm not even sure I'm interested in interacting with you any more.
Don't ask me.
When you tell someone that they're wrong, you tell them how they're wrong. You respect them enough to explain yourself.
I told you why you're wrong; you just won't stop and grasp it.
When you tell someone that they're missing the point, that they're avoiding the issue, you explain what they issue is. That's like the basic social contract that comes with another person reading what you've said, taking YOU seriously, and engaging with the points that you make.
I have. I don't take you seriously because you can't, or won't, accept simple facts.
If we were only interested in saying "yeah huh" and "nuh'uh" ad nauseam it would be word salad, null talk, blank speech, void language. In other words thanks for wasting my time?
You're welcome.

Last edited:

nevin

Hero
my biggest problem with evil characters is most of them end up being the kind of player who just wants to kill the party because someone told them no. That and they all seem to go nuts when they have to suffer normal consequences for behavior. I've had a few players that did a fantastic job and made the game better and more fun. But the others just made it so miserable for everyone I'm always leery of letting someone I don't know very well play an evil character.

Remove ads