How do you pronunce "grognard"?

How do you pronunce "grognard"?

• "GROG-nerd" – /'ɡrɑɡnərd/ for those down with the International Phonetic Alphabet

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • "grog-NARD" – /'ɡrɑɡnɑrd/ in IPA

Votes: 65 59.1%
  • "gruh-NYAR(D)" – /ɡʀɔ'ɲaʀ/ in French, IPA

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • some other way

Votes: 13 11.8%

Sir Brennen

Legend
1673027948689.png
-
1673028192948.png

If I'm saying the whole word, 3.

If I'm shortening it to "grog", 2.

Re: melee unfortunately my brain is totally stuck on mee-lee (or more specifically m'lee), even though I know perfectly well that maylay is correct.
What does it say about me who says MAY-lee.
That feels like a Southern pronunciation, but not like Deep South. More like Kentucky or something maybe. I quite like it. "Gentlemen, you will stand seven paces apart and then engage in a maylee!".

aramis erak

Legend
In the context of D&D, I've always pronounced it "GRAWN-yard", sort of an American bastardization of the French pronunciation.
I tend to the groǧ-nard - where the ǧ is a voiced non-plosive sound, rather than the glottally stopped hard g at the front.
I don't grok IPA well enough to use it.

aramis erak

Legend
What does it say about me who says MAY-lee.
You don't apply the vowel-consonant-vowel rule... and mix classical and modern English vowel pronunciationss in the same word.

My preferred is may-lay (equal stress), or the variant on the French, which is closer to meh-LAY or muh-LAY, at least according to the Qebecois, Cajuns, and Creoles I've known say it.

Then again, I also usually prefer to see it spelled in English with diacritics, melée, witch makes it mee-LEE. (vowel-consonant-vowel rule, double e rule, acute accent denotes stressed syllable when not 1st. The diacritic French being mêlée...

I hate French orthography, but once you learn the "dozen oh's" (o, ou, eau, eaux, etc...), it's mostly consistent.

Remove ads