How do you pronunce "grognard"?

How do you pronunce "grognard"?

• "GROG-nerd" – /'ɡrɑɡnərd/ for those down with the International Phonetic Alphabet

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • "grog-NARD" – /'ɡrɑɡnɑrd/ in IPA

Votes: 65 59.1%
  • "gruh-NYAR(D)" – /ɡʀɔ'ɲaʀ/ in French, IPA

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • some other way

Votes: 13 11.8%

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Do you or anyone else on the thread know when we started using it? I am honestly a little surprised I never thought about this before, but I feel like this has to be the result of old wargamers -- or rather, young wargamers from a long time ago -- complaining about even older wargamers.

1986 start, incidentally, so I'm kind of a... grognennial? :p
It was used in 1970s Wargaming circles, after the expansion of wargaming and entry of the likes of Milton Bradley and Steve Jackson. The old traditionalist grumbling about the new players and their ideas - some of those ideas developed into RPGs.
Its kinda ironic justice that thos old school gamers now attract the label

niklinna

satisfied?
Do you or anyone else on the thread know when we started using it? I am honestly a little surprised I never thought about this before, but I feel like this has to be the result of old wargamers -- or rather, young wargamers from a long time ago -- complaining about even older wargamers.

This guy seems to have some ideas – Grognard: Ruminations On 40 Years in Gaming – Goodreads

By Loren Wiseman - Wikipedia

J.Quondam

CR 1/8

Here's Google's NGram Viewer data (high smoothing) for the word over roughly the last century:

Screenshot (5).png

source:

It's just data for books only (no magazines, spoken word, etc, iirc). But the word was on a decline for most of the 20th century, then started trending upward again around 1980.
It's really uncommon English word (and also a name), but I wonder if that reverse is due to its use in wargaming and (later) in RPGing? The times seem to match up pretty well.

Last edited:

Yaarel

He Mage
From the OED:
Pronunciation: Brit. Hear pronunciation/ɡrɒnˈjɑː/, Hear pronunciation/ˈɡrɒɡnɑːd/, U.S. Hear pronunciation/ɡroʊnˈjɑr/, Hear pronunciation/ˈɡroʊɡˌnɑrd/, Hear pronunciation/ˈɡrɑɡˌnɑrd/

I've always pronounced it /ˈɡrɑɡˌnɑrd/
Yeah exactly.

By the way, @niklinna

The second option has an error

"grog-NARD" ≠ /'ɡrɑɡnɑrd/

It would either be:

"grog-NARD" = /ɡrɑɡ'nɑrd/

Or:

"GROG-nard" = /ˈɡrɑɡnɑrd/

Or better yet, as MNblockhead has it:

"GROG-nard" = /ˈɡrɑɡˌnɑrd/

Stattick

Explorer
Dunno what the correct pronunciation is supposed to be, but I've always thought that it was pronounced, "grog" like the pirate drink, and "nard" like a teste.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases