Level Up (A5E) How does 5.5e/6e impact Level Up?

You're being very polite and respectful, so please don't take this the wrong way, but: if you're so opposed to the fundamental design precepts of Level Up, why/how are you even watching this specific sub-forum?

Speaking only for myself, doing what you're doing would probably turn into a source of anxiety for me. Seems like you could probably give yourself permission to disengage at this point and you'd likely be happier with the end result.

On the other hand, if you're just curious or you feel like you're somehow obligated to provide a countervailing point of view, don't let me chase you off, either. Like I said, you're certainly not being a jerk about things, and I don't want to come off as hostile or make you feel unwelcome, but I am genuinely and sincerely puzzled as to what this is doing for you at this point.
My DM has been talking about it a lot. So I thought I would check it out. I then made a comment and it went crazy from there!

Timespike

A5E Designer and third-party publisher
My DM has been talking about it a lot. So I thought I would check it out. I then made a comment and it went crazy from there!
Fair enough! It is a responsive bunch around here, and you have been quite civil, so I'm not surprised you've gotten a bit stuck, as it were! If nothing else I think you're helping some of the folks who are excited crystalize the "why" of it for themselves, so even if it's not your thing, you're helping the discourse.

Timespike

A5E Designer and third-party publisher
The more I think about this, the less concerned I am. For those familiar with software development terms, I think you could accurately consider Level Up to be a "fork" of 5e, and whatever WotC does in 3 years will be another "fork." Much like with Linux distros, there'll probably be pretty significant intercompatibility and overlap, and that will be good for folks who do want to keep a toe in WotC's pond, but also, one of the reasons I'm personally excited about Level Up in the first place is that I'm less and less a fan of WotC's business practices every day. I'd really like to keep using my existing 3PP library and not have to think about them any more.

(Just my personal opinion. YMMV, obviously.)

Last edited:

TheSword

Legend
What is it with this thread that has pulled a load of angry people who hate WOC into the discussion.

I’m excited for Level and was one of the first to back it, but individuals positioning Level Up as some kind of anti-WOC product seems quite bizarre. As has been said earlier Level Up is 5e to all intents and purposes.

Level up thrives if 5e thrives. A rising tide lifts all boats.

VanguardHero

Adventurer
I know I'm really looking forward to Critical Role's new 3p Level Up book ;D

I never said Level Up was anti-WotC, even if it were true pushing that would be a terrible marketing decision, but I am intensely anti-WotC and Level Up is a godsend to play with friends who enjoy 5e without supporting the Harry Potter of the TTRPG industry.

Last edited:

King Brad

Explorer
What is it with this thread that has pulled a load of angry people who hate WOC into the discussion.

I’m excited for Level and was one of the first to back it, but individuals positioning Level Up as some kind of anti-WOC product seems quite bizarre. As has been said earlier Level Up is 5e to all intents and purposes.

Level up thrives if 5e thrives. A rising tide lifts all boats.
We're here because we feel left wanting in some way the more we play O5e. And over the years, many people don't like the direction the edition is going. LU, for many of us, is the direction we wished that the strong framework of 5e would have gone originally.

I'm not sitting here seething with rage over wotc's design choices, I'm just routinely disappointed. Although, the new Minsc book seems exactly the type of thing I was pitching (i think in this thread even?) before I knew about it. I haven't read it yet but it is a wotc product and seems like a good thing!

I think that while many people, myself included, love homebrewing rules and what have you, the feeling of needing to do that to get the game to feel the way you think it should gets tiring after a while.

In a nutshell, I think that's why people have come here and feel the way they do. I think that's why the kickstarter is killing it, and why there are criticisms of Wotc. There are definately people who get a little too worked up, but I feel this corner of the internet isn't all that bad. But, that's me and its fair to feel otherwise.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases