• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How does the monster recharge mechanic work?

GoLu

First Post
Stalker0 said:
As I mentioned a few posts up, it makes a very large difference in the frequency someone can use a recharge ability.

Situation 1:
Start of dragon's first turn
Dragon breaths on turn 1
End of dragon's first turn: roll for recharge on breath and get a 6
<other characters take turns>
Start of dragon's second turn
Dragon breaths on turn 2

Situation 2:
Dragon breaths on turn 1
End of dragon's first turn
Start of dragon's second turn: roll for recharge on breath and get a 6
Dragon breaths on turn 2

...what am I missing here?

Stalker0

Legend
GoLu said:
Situation 1:
Dragon breaths on turn 1
End of dragon's first turn: roll for recharge on breath and get a 6
Start of dragon's second turn
Dragon breaths on turn 2

Situation 2:
Dragon breaths on turn 1
End of dragon's first turn
Start of dragon's second turn: roll for recharge on breath and get a 6
Dragon breaths on turn 2

...what am I missing here?

What your missing is that there are 3 ways this could work:

1) Dragon recharges at the end of its current turn. It can breathe next, and has foreknowledge that its ability has been recharged.

2) Dragon recharges at the beginning of next turn. Can still use his breathe every round, but has a little less foreknowledge.

3) Dragon recharges at the end of his next turn (works like saving throws). In this case, the dragon breathes. The next round he cannot breathe, at the end he rolls. If he recharges, he can breathe on the 3rd round. Effectively he is breathing every other round.

GoLu

First Post
Stalker0 said:
3) Dragon recharges at the end of his next turn (works like saving throws). In this case, the dragon breathes. The next round he cannot breathe, at the end he rolls. If he recharges, he can breathe on the 3rd round. Effectively he is breathing every other round.

I take it you think this is the most likely interpretation. Has WotC released any information indicating one way or another? I'm trying to keep up on 4th edition rules, so if you have a link, I'd love to read it.

In the absence of any real information, I'm going to guess that it'll be something else. The 'roll for recharge, but only on skills you didn't use this round' seems like it's a little too complicated for 4th edition rules, and I'm suspicious of why recharge 6 powers would exist, given that you could just relabel them "encounter" and you would probably get the same effect unless you reeeeeeeealy stretched out the fight. (Do they only show up on lurker monsters?)

That said, it's just a guess and I'll freely admit that I could be entirely wrong here. Especially if you have some indication (even a hint) from WotC that it works like how you said.

Stalker0

Legend
GoLu said:
I take it you think this is the most likely interpretation. Has WotC released any information indicating one way or another? I'm trying to keep up on 4th edition rules, so if you have a link, I'd love to read it.

I have no idea how it works, which is why I asked in the first place:) However, the fact that saving throws work this way give that interpretation a nod just for the sake of consistency.

Stalker0 said:
I have no idea how it works, which is why I asked in the first place:) However, the fact that saving throws work this way give that interpretation a nod just for the sake of consistency.

I'm not sure I follow you here. There's no "one round delay" on saving throws. You make your saving throw at the end of your turn starting on your very next turn after you suffer an effect.

And to my knowledge, recharge rolls occur at the start of the monster's turn.

fedelas

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
I'm not sure I follow you here. There's no "one round delay" on saving throws. You make your saving throw at the end of your turn starting on your very next turn after you suffer an effect.

Thanks Ari!
I was still in doubt about the moment you roll,
another little question: if a monster has more than one rechargeable power i have to roll a d6 for any single power or only make one roll and apply the result to all the powers?

fedelas said:
if a monster has more than one rechargeable power i have to roll a d6 for any single power or only make one roll and apply the result to all the powers?

You know... I'm actually not sure. :confused:

In my own group, we've been rolling once for each power, and I just assumed that was the way it worked. (It makes more sense to me that way, too.) But now that you ask, I suddenly realize that I don't remember seeing it spelled out one way or the other. (Keep in mind that even for playtesters and freelancers, there were some gaps in the files here and there. I'm sure the answer's in the actual game; I just don't think I saw it in the material I had.)

Stalker0

Legend
Mouseferatu said:

There is in the sense that you have suffer the effect for at least one of your turns before the saving throw removes the effect. In this way you would have to wait a minimum of one turn before you could use a rechargeable ability again, if its mechanic matches the saving throw mechanic.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
I remember reading on the forums (so could be truth, could be speculation) that you rolled the d6 once and if it hits that number all those powers under that number recharge.

Stalker0 said:
There is in the sense that you have suffer the effect for at least one of your turns before the saving throw removes the effect. In this way you would have to wait a minimum of one turn before you could use a rechargeable ability again, if its mechanic matches the saving throw mechanic.

Hrm. Not really comparable, IMO.

You have to suffer the effect for at least one turn because, by definition, the effect occurs before the start of your turn. So it's:

1) Effect occurs.
2) Your turn begins.
3) Your turn ends and you make the save.

There's not actually a "delay" occurring. It's just the order in which things happen. If you somehow actually acquired a condition on your own turn, you wouldn't necessarily have to suffer it for a turn; it's just that such a situation is nonsensical, since you're unlikely to set yourself on fire. ;)

Adding an artificial delay for recharge would complicate things in a way that wouldn't match saving throws, because then you have to keep track of things like "On which round did this occur? Do I get to roll a recharge, or not?"

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads