• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How does the monster recharge mechanic work?

Transit

First Post
I think it's one recharge roll for each power, made just before the power is attempted to be used.

I could be wrong, but I've been using it like this:

FIRST ROUND
Black Dragon uses Breath (Recharge 5,6)

SECOND ROUND
Black Dragon wants to Breath again, but a roll of "4" says he hasn't caught his breath yet. So he chooses to use Cloud of Darkness (Recharge 3,4,5,6) instead.

THIRD ROUND
Black Dragon wants to try another Cloud of Darkness, but a roll of "2" means his Cloud of Darkness Power is not yet ready to go again, so instead he tries to Breath again, and a roll of "6" says he can, and he dissolves a few PCs in a spray of acid.

FOURTH ROUND
A roll of "5" says that Breath is ready again. And a roll of "3" says Cloud of Darkness is also ready again. So Black Dragon can choose to use either one.

And so on...

Sometimes both powers are available, sometimes one or the other, sometimes neither. But the DM never has to keep track of which ones are currently "recharged" or not, he simply rolls to see if a power is available.

Silverwave said:
Well... it's not directly related to the subject, but in the same way... if you cast a fireball in the middle of 10 creatures, would you throw 10 attacks or would you only throw one dice, add mods and this set the DC for all creatures in the zone?

We already have the answer to this, though. It's one attack per creature, not just one attack.

hong

WotC's bitch
When running the black dragon, I found myself losing track of which powers had recharged and which ones hadn't. Although I'm not sure there's a definitive way to fix this, short of cutting back on all rechargeable powers.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
hong said:
When running the black dragon, I found myself losing track of which powers had recharged and which ones hadn't. Although I'm not sure there's a definitive way to fix this, short of cutting back on all rechargeable powers.

Well... If your using stat-block type format, what if you do similar to how they are doing the character sheets. Where each power has a little box you can check when used.

You could do the same for rechargable, if it is checked it hasn't been recharged, if it isn't checked its charged.

Imaro

Legend
hong said:

Hong, I think you've touched on one of the things that is making me kinda nervous about 4e's claim to be easier for the DM...I'm starting to think this only applies to the prep-work and that running all these multiple monsters that 4e touts as a feature is going to involve alot of record keeping. This thread as well as the one on marking just seems to be reinforcing this concern.

Mouseferatu, was wondering if you could shed some light on this?

hong said:
I'm kinda tempted to run it as "can you use the power this round" as opposed to "has it recharged since you last used it" for precisely that reason. (or at least to default to "it isn't recharged" if I can't remember).

As for rolling for a bunch of different creatures, recharge mechanics tend to get dolled out like actions points, if you'r not a basic monster, you might get one, but you probably wont, if you're an Elite, you'll probably get one, (maybe two, but more likely none) as a Solo, you'll probably get two, and Minions NEVER get them.

This might not hold up eventually, but what I've seen follows that.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I'm pretty sure you roll the recharge die ONCE for the monster, precisely BECAUSE there are plenty of examples of monsters with powers that have a recharge of say, 3. NOT 3.4.5.6. Just 3.

There used to be a whole thread on it, where the general consensus was that IF they meant 3 and up, you wouldn't see all the 4.5.6's you've seen, they would just put 4. So they must really mean 3. So why 3? Why not 6 if it's only a 1-in-6 chance.

The agreement was that you roll once, and all the powers with the number 3 in the recharge section recharge, and the others don't.

As far as keeping track. Why would making a tick mark (and then scratch it out) and then another tick mark be difficult? I find keeping track of initiative much harder....

Fitz

FitzTheRuke said:
I'm pretty sure you roll the recharge die ONCE for the monster, precisely BECAUSE there are plenty of examples of monsters with powers that have a recharge of say, 3. NOT 3.4.5.6. Just 3.

There used to be a whole thread on it, where the general consensus was that IF they meant 3 and up, you wouldn't see all the 4.5.6's you've seen, they would just put 4. So they must really mean 3. So why 3? Why not 6 if it's only a 1-in-6 chance.

The agreement was that you roll once, and all the powers with the number 3 in the recharge section recharge, and the others don't.

As far as keeping track. Why would making a tick mark (and then scratch it out) and then another tick mark be difficult? I find keeping track of initiative much harder....

Fitz
Because those stats are from different places. The Mini rules have it as 3, while the same monster from the MM would have it as 3,4,5,6. They mean the same thing, the Mini rules just have to be /really/ small.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Really? All of them are mini card stats? Well, I stand corrected.

Personally I've been using "roll the one you want to use - if you made it you can use it. If not, pick another power."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads