• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How does the monster recharge mechanic work?

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Hmm, just a thought but... If all powers recharge if they hit the proper number when you roll the d6. I really hope each monster that has multiple rechargeable powers has them put in accordingly.

Say for example a Red Dragon has a number of phsyical and fire powers.

The physical ones would recharge with on kind of number, say 2.

The fire with another, say 3.

Sorta to show, how that part of the creature has recovered, so in this case. Its physically body has recovered from using its power, and in the fire sense it has recovered and "built up" (???) enough fuel within it to use another fire power.

Stalker0

Legend
Mouseferatu said:
Hrm. Not really comparable, IMO.

I'm not saying that adjudicating recharge abilities like saving throws is easy or right. All I'm saying is we have a precedent for "handle this thing at the END of your NEXT turn." Therefore, it makes sense to include this as a possibility for how recharge abilities work, just as it makes sense to include "recharge at the beginning of your next" or "recharge at the end of your current turn".

Hey I'm all for just saying you roll recharge abilities at the beginning of your turn if that's how the rules work. But that's the point of this thread, how DO recharge abilities work?

Verys Arkon said:
I've added this clarification to the PHB Lite (to be known as the Pre-Release Rules Compilation as of v1.3)

I'm a little surprised, honestly. I'd have figured this was common knowledge after the games at D&DExp. :)

Stalker0

Legend
Mouseferatu said:
I'm a little surprised, honestly. I'd have figured this was common knowledge after the games at D&DExp. :)

Well, no wonder my party was able to beat the black dragon:) I was running it similar to a saving throw. Now that I know the dragon can theoretically breath every round, I could have gotten 2 or 3 more breaths in...which would have certainly killed my party.

Verys Arkon

First Post
Mouseferatu said:

PrRC isn't exactly 'cannon', but it is getting better with each revision with everyone's input.

Silverwave

First Post
Fallen Seraph said:
Hmm, just a thought but... If all powers recharge if they hit the proper number when you roll the d6. I really hope each monster that has multiple rechargeable powers has them put in accordingly.

Say for example a Red Dragon has a number of phsyical and fire powers.

The physical ones would recharge with on kind of number, say 2.

The fire with another, say 3.

Sorta to show, how that part of the creature has recovered, so in this case. Its physically body has recovered from using its power, and in the fire sense it has recovered and "built up" (???) enough fuel within it to use another fire power.

It would make sense, and I really hope It would be that way, but I doubt. All the monster stats I've seen always is like : [5, 6] ; [4, 5, 6]; [3, 4, 5, 6 ];
So it seems you can't have a recharge of, says, [3] and not include the [4, 5, 6].

That will lead to the problem you've mentioned : a creature either regains some or all it powers, or none at all. :(

Last edited:

Silverwave said:
I would make sense, and I really hope It would be that way, but I doubt. All the monster stats I've seen always is like : [5, 6] ; [4, 5, 6]; [3, 4, 5, 6 ];
So it seems you can't have a recharge of, says, [3] and not include the [4, 5, 6].

That will lead to the problem you've mentioned : a creature either regains some or all it powers, or none at all. :(

Which is why it made most sense to me to roll for each one individually, rather than have a single roll apply to all of them.

But again, I don't know for certain.

Silverwave

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
Which is why it made most sense to me to roll for each one individually, rather than have a single roll apply to all of them.

But again, I don't know for certain.

Yeah, but there's still a problem with your way. Say you have a big bunch of minions, like... 10 or more! Would you really roll like 20-30 dices a round to see wich power they gain back?

I would only roll once per creature, it would be really enough.

Well... it's not directly related to the subject, but in the same way... if you cast a fireball in the middle of 10 creatures, would you throw 10 attacks or would you only throw one dice, add mods and this set the DC for all creatures in the zone?

You speed up the process, but if you have a really bad result on the dice (or score a critical) it could lead to disastrous result (for you, or for them, depends).
But then again... it would make sense. Isn't the spell supposed to be of equal potency anywhere in the zone (thus, if the spell is critical, would be strange that it's only 1 creature in the bunch that took critical damages).

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads