• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How does your group handle a character's Hit Points?

What Hit Dice Gen method does your group use?

• Roll HD once, take what you get

Votes: 168 33.3%
  • Roll HD once, re-roll 1's

Votes: 113 22.4%
  • Fixed HD/level

Votes: 90 17.8%
  • Roll HD, may reroll but at next HD down (d10 to d8, d8 to d6, etc.)

Votes: 6 1.2%
  • Some other method

Votes: 128 25.3%

Orius

Legend
You get one roll, and if it's a 1, you're screwed. :]

Being a nasty DM however, I reroll for the "bosses" the PCs face. Generally for them anything under a 3 gets a reroll. :]

moticon

First Post
HD Method

At each level the PC may either take 1/2 of the die size, or they may roll it. If they roll it they must live with what they roll.

On even levels if they roll it and don't like the result, they may ask the DM to re-roll it, but they must live with the final result. This generally means that every other level the PC's get a decent roll (although a couple of times it has backfired). Most PC's will not reroll it unless they roll a 1 or a 2, and d4 based characters usually only reroll on a 1.

The process adds a lot of excitement to the roll, as well as some fun pushing from the DM when there is a mediocre roll on an even level...

Moticon

Caspiar

First Post
Maximum At first two levels..........

then let the Dice fall where they may.......This seems to give everyone a leg up....and still keep the purity of the die rolls

Emiricol

Max HP for level 1 and 2, then 75% of max for additional levels (rounding up on odd levels, down on even ones). Add CON bonus.

Aaron L

Hero
You get what you roll, one reroll during the existence of your character.

We're generous with abilitiy scores, but with hit points your'e stuck with what you get.

Ao the Overkitty

First Post
We just do full first level hp, then half plus one for each additional level (d4=3, d6=4, d8=5, d10=6, d12=7).

We had a couple of suspisciously high hit point totals, one of which came from a rather tall & burly guy (very intimidating guy). Not wanting to point fingers, we just quickly settled on this method as a fair way to make sure cheating stayed out of the game. Same reason we switched to point buy.

S'mon

Legend
I do it by-the-book. Max at 1st, then players can take average-low - good idea for low level Barbarians! - or roll.

My Midnight GM does the same, except our first PCs got max hd at first 2 levels. I always take average-low in that game.

My other GM (swashbuckling D&D game) makes us roll. It fits the light & chaotic tone of the game.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I have 'em re-roll 1's, but they subtract 1 from this new roll (minimum 1). So the margin for a lower hp is increased, but they get a chance to do better.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads