D&D General How does your PC interact with hit points?

Which of these is closest to how your PC relates to their hit points? Clarify in the replies.

• The PC knows if they're fully functional (>0) or out of it (<=0 ) and that's it.

• The PC knows if they're fully functional (>50%), bloodied (1-50%), or out of it (<=0%).

• The player has the PC act on the metagame information the player has about the HP.

• The PC roughly knows their "health status" (corresponding to HP) since they've been getting "hit".

Results are only viewable after voting.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
So, pick an edition of D&D and imagine you're in a game that's being run by the default settings. In particular, hits and damage don't really have a specified narration (maybe you're getting tired, or nicked, or bruised, or small cuts, or are running out of luck), although either you or the DM might give some. How does your character relate to damage and their hit point total?

Stormonu

Legend
As DM or player, I've always acted with the character having full knowledge of hit point status. It isn't something where one character will turn to another and say "I'm down to 8 hit points, we need to finish this guy or the next round I'm gonna be done," but I have no problem with the player having his character act on such information or communicating it to others. I realize HP is a game mechanic and I assume in the game world the characters are communicating their general status (visible wounds, banter or "feeling") in in-world means. I just don't bother with how that's done.

Vaalingrade

Legend
PC knows they're being worn down by the progress of the fight commiserate with HP.

The manifestation of this is based on the character. Killpretty the barbarian is being cut and bruised to hell and back, but Kaiel Arunsteadeles the bard doens't have a scratch on him until he his zero, but he's feeling winded and punchy.

Hussar

Legend
As DM or player, I've always acted with the character having full knowledge of hit point status. It isn't something where one character will turn to another and say "I'm down to 8 hit points, we need to finish this guy or the next round I'm gonna be done," but I have no problem with the player having his character act on such information or communicating it to others. I realize HP is a game mechanic and I assume in the game world the characters are communicating their general status (visible wounds, banter or "feeling") in in-world means. I just don't bother with how that's done.
Yup, pretty much agree.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
My PC doesn't know anything about hit points--which are an in-game mechanic. Is all the "damage" (poor term) they have taken from "hits" (also a poor term) physical injury, fatigue, luck depletion, or something else? Until the DM narrates the exchange, there is no spoon. ;) Even at that point, it is immaterial how the PC withstood the damage.

So, my character does not relate to damage and their hit point total in any fashion as they are meaningless really except as a game mechanic. They have no game impact other than a binary state of fully functional or unconscious (unfortunately...).

theCourier

Adventurer
They're all meat (in my games/POV). Every single one of them. However, not every HP and hit is equal. At Level 1, with a measly 6 or so HP each hit is dangerous, even one that deals 1 HP of damage. Experience and Levels represent not only the character getting better at their role, but getting better at surviving combat. 5 HP at Level 1 is a blow that leaves you on Death's Door. At Level 10, it's a different blow that probably leaves a scar and that's either because it's not a near-lethal blow or because your character has learned how to move about in combat to defend from such blows.

So I guess the 4th option would be the one that fits the most in my situation.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I voted for the third option, though I find the phrasing of it a bit odd. The player is free to have their character act or not act on the information of how many hit points they have, as they see fit. That’s information they have access to, I have no interest in policing their ability to pretend they don’t have access to it.

Vaalingrade

Legend
They're all meat (in my games/POV). Every single one of them. However, not every HP and hit is equal. At Level 1, with a measly 6 or so HP each hit is dangerous, even one that deals 1 HP of damage. Experience and Levels represent not only the character getting better at their role, but getting better at surviving combat. 5 HP at Level 1 is a blow that leaves you on Death's Door. At Level 10, it's a different blow that probably leaves a scar and that's either because it's not a near-lethal blow or because your character has learned how to move about in combat to defend from such blows.

So I guess the 4th option would be the one that fits the most in my situation.
So... what happens when you take psychic damage from a bard hurting your feeling with Vicious Mockery?

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
I voted for the third option, though I find the phrasing of it a bit odd. The player is free to have their character act or not act on the information of how many hit points they have, as they see fit. That’s information they have access to, I have no interest in policing their ability to pretend they don’t have access to it.
Same. It was the only answer that fit, but the description of it was off.

Remove ads