How fast is a bullet?

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
Trigger Warning: If you're triggered by gun fire or physics, grow up, and just watch the video.
[video=youtube_share;IoYm8lcJQ0o]https://youtu.be/IoYm8lcJQ0o[/video]

I like that the one they find qualified to shoot is a veterinary student. They used a .22 caliber. Would the results differ using a larger caliber gun? Hand gun vs long gun?

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
A more accurate title for their video would be How fast is this bullet?

I had a feeling that would be an answer to the questions. In the past I've heard bullets travel X *miles per second per second. Sounds like a blanket statement for all bullets.
*X being a number value I don't remember.

Last edited:

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
A more accurate title for their video would be How fast is this bullet?

I had a feeling that would be an answer to the questions. In the past I've heard bullets travel X *miles per second per second. Sounds like a blanket statement for all bullets.
*X being a number value I don't remember.

Exactly. The velocity (measured in feet per second (FPS)) of a bullet will depend on the firearm's caliber, the projectile's size and shap, the air density, and other factors. Gun nerds being what they are, there are LOTS of sites that provide this data.

For example, the bullet database on gundata.org:

http://gundata.org/bullet-database/

Zardnaar

Legend
They go at different speeds. You can get subsonic rounds for example. Same gun can fire different rounds at different speeds.

Generally a heavier round will cause more damage but fall off at range.

Higher velocity smaller round will have a flatter trajectory.

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
Was that initial line in the OP really necessary? Seems a tad insulting.

But, in any case, yes, bullet velocity depends entirely what you are firing. Generally speaking, pistol rounds will be the slowest (again, I'm painting with a BROAD brush here) while rifle rounds will be the fastest.

But, within each category, there is so much variation that that generalization isn't terribly useful.

But, think about it this way,

Common-Bullet-Sizes-1024x568.jpg

Obviously the .22 LR is going to have less powder in the casing (and thus be slower) than the 5.56 mm NATO round, despite the fact that the bullet itself is virtually identical in size (only .003 of an inch difference in diameter).

So, yeah, muzzle velocity is affected by a host of factors and will vary from gun to gun and even two of the same guns depending on the quality of ammunition.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Length of the barrel also plays a big factor. There are a number of rifles that are chambered for larger pistol ammo (.357 and .45 LC) and they have a good deal more velocity when shot from one of those.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
The velocity of the bullet is not affected by the mass of the target. It should stay the same. The target would move more because there is less mass to absorb the energy, right?

If you had a pound of feathers and a pound of brick, would they move the same distance?

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
The velocity of the bullet is not affected by the mass of the target. It should stay the same. The target would move more because there is less mass to absorb the energy, right?

If you had a pound of feathers and a pound of brick, would they move the same distance?

Nope but if you're hunting you use a larger gun vs larger critters generally. A few people use guns a bit larger than what they need to, not much point using a .308 on a rabbit.

If you get hit by a bullet, smaller and lower velocity is better, had a mate in the 90's who was hit in the leg with a .22. Left a small scar.

Feathers vs brick is a silly example how far a bullet will travel depends on the gun, size of cartridge, weight and shape of the bullet.

Remove ads