• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How important are prestige classes?

Quasqueton

First Post
How important is it to Players to have the option to take a prestige class? Can not a Player make a fully satisfying character with only the core classes?

Quasqueton

Crothian

First Post
prestige classes are very useful, there are many archtypes that I've played and have other players wanted that cannot be done with the core classes.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I think that you can live a long and happy life without using the Prestige Classes.

For instance, I have no desire for my two main PCs (Meliander the Wizard and Enrei the Swashbuckler) to take any prestige classes - just keeping in their base classes.

However, as with feats, they add even more variety to the game. There are some character concepts that can only be attained through prestige classes (such as my friend's Eldritch Knight PC, or the Shadowdancer PC that's also running around in my game).

Because PrC are so focussed in theme, they often form a good goal or archetype for players who are disatisfied with the general nature of most of the basic classes.

Cheers!

Crothian

First Post
Zappo said:
PrCs are not necessary - you can make most archetypes without them - but they sure add to the game.

I don't think that's true. Most prcl we see in books cannot be made by multi classing.

pogre

Legend
Quasqueton said:
How important is it to Players to have the option to take a prestige class? Can not a Player make a fully satisfying character with only the core classes?

Quasqueton

The only use for PRCs in my campaign is to offer a setting specific class option that fits into the campaign setting. I have made or employed a few as NPCs, but yet to have one played by a player. If I had a player who really was unsatisfied with options presented by the core classes I might consider it.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I think PrC are one of those "nice but not really required" sort of things. I tend to hold to the idea that they're really there for world-building, rather than character-building.

Dogbrain

First Post
They're not at all necessary. The game can be played quite nicely without them. Likewise, the "official" ones actually can detract from a campaign if one isn't running vanilla-nuthin-Greyhawk (or a clone, thereof) or one of the commercial settings.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Quasqueton said:
It varies. Depending on your DM -- prestige class is a variant rules in the DMG, he can allow or disallow at his choosing -- some prestige classes allows you to belong to a campaign-specific guild or organization and reward you for being a member. Some prestige classes offers a specific career path that your normal core class cannot provide quickly enough.

But if you're cool with what your core class is offering, then there is no need to select a prestige class. Perhaps multiclassing between core classes is also a good option, although there are restrictions.

Last edited:

DragonLancer

Adventurer
PrC's are not nessecary. They are a bonus, but players should next expect to be able to take them with out a good reason.
They should be selected by the DM, fitting the game world he/she is using, and heavilt restricted. There are far too many generic PrC's, where they should be specific to a given setting.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads