D&D 5E How is the College of Blades in action?

WarpedAcorn

First Post
Back in 2nd Edition one of my favorite classes (when I got to play) was the Blade Bard. So I was pretty excited to see it return in the form of the College of Blades. However, what people's experiences with it are so far? Have you been pleased with the way it plays?

I ask because I am concerned it would be similar to a Bladesinger Wizard in that they give these fun Melee options, but in the end the caster ends up being a caster, and melee is more of a whimsical option than a viable one.

RCanine

First Post
I'll be playing one at Strategicon this weekend, so I'll let you know.

After doing the build, what I'm seeing in the mechanics are:

* Although flourishes take up the most column inches, they're actually pretty niche part of the build. They're only usable 2-5 times per long rest; they require a hit, they share a resource with other uses of inspiration, and since they require a hit, they have a high risk/high reward component.
* Being a full caster plus a getting a fighting style and extra attack means your damage can come from your weapons, and your spells can focus on utility. This is how I like to build gishes, and what attracted me to the build.
* Level 5 might feel awkward since you get Extra Attack at 6.
* Lots of skills and expertise mean you're very much a jack of all trades; the build is highly flexible and and will be pretty good at most things.

I'll be playing a Tortle Bard (swords) 4 / Druid (land) 1. I picked up a Staff of the Woodlands via DM rewards, so my current plan is to max CHA at 14, and scale offensively via Wisdom with Shillelagh + PAM. Staff weapon is a focus for both classes. Tortle shell and shield from druid fix my AC at 19 without any STR or DEX investment. Seems like there are enough good spells (and good magical secrets) that I don't need to max my casting stat as a bard. Splitting between druid and bard means I don't compromise on spell slots, just spell levels.

I think a fully optimized build would be a half-elf that dips a 1-3 levels of Hexblade instead, scaling purely off of CHA, having more skills, slightly higher ability scores and short rest spell slots, but I was committed to playing a Tortle in AL season 7 due to how their PHB + 1 rules work.

I'm excited; we'll see how it plays at the table.

* Although flourishes take up the most column inches, they're actually pretty niche part of the build. They're only usable 2-5 times per long rest; they require a hit, they share a resource with other uses of inspiration, and since they require a hit, they have a high risk/high reward component.

* Level 5 might feel awkward since you get Extra Attack at 6.
Level 5 is a big jump in power fir any bard, not just because of level 3 spells, but also because Inspiration dice now recharge on a Short rest.

Thus (for a Swords Bard) flourishes would become usable 2-3 times more often than they were at level 4.

I just drew up a Blade Bard this week. Toss in a single level of Hexblade and your main spellcasting attribute becomes your main melee attribute, too. Better than a Valor bard in that your main weapon serves as a spellcasting focus, so you can fight with a shield and not have to take Warcaster to cast bard spells. Later on you can roll a fixed d6 rather than use Inspiration dice for Flourishes. Magical Secrets allow for some kick-butt melee-boosters as you go up in level, too. All that and you've got the full range of bard spells and abilities on tap.

There are definitely better melee builds out there, but there are not many full-caster melee subclasses that rival this one.

Seems like Tenser's transformation would be pretty yummy :)

At 10 Find greater steed, Holy Weapon(if you have a magical weapon), shadow blade(no magic weapon), armor of agathys(affects your steed as well), and spirit guardians are fantastic picks for a blade bard.

The 14 magical secrets tenser's is great as mentioned(also bonus it affects your steed), and personally I think Crown of stars is a really good pick.

Back in 2nd Edition one of my favorite classes (when I got to play) was the Blade Bard. So I was pretty excited to see it return in the form of the College of Blades. However, what people's experiences with it are so far? Have you been pleased with the way it plays?

I ask because I am concerned it would be similar to a Bladesinger Wizard in that they give these fun Melee options, but in the end the caster ends up being a caster, and melee is more of a whimsical option than a viable one.

I have found the blade bard is very good especially with a level in fighter or paladin for shield proficiency and the defense fighting style my character has 19 AC and then when I defensive flourish(IMO easily the best of the three) I can get up to 27 AC making me nigh unhittable. The blade bard has the capability of being a front liner as long as they have inspiration. Picking up Mobile lets you dance in and out of combat with your great movement range. I focus mostly on debuff spells like Bane and then use my bonus action to be a healer with healing word after I have attacked a couple of times.

Remove ads