• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How is the Paladin?

Particle_Man

Explorer
The paladin is great but could use a little clarity at two points:

The divine mount can be summoned to one's side. Is this like a teleport mount to you spell? Is the mount otherwise elsewhere on the world or does it go to another, perhaps celestial, plane? Can a mount be dismissed (temporarily) and then summoned to one's side again?

At 20th level, the special power of the paladin seems woefully weak. One gets a banishment that probably won't work and loses one's smite power when using the banishment, and sadly one doesn't, as written, even have the option of not using the banishment. As written is an argument for multi-classing out of paladin after level 19.

Volaran

First Post
At 20th level, the special power of the paladin seems woefully weak. One gets a banishment that probably won't work and loses one's smite power when using the banishment, and sadly one doesn't, as written, even have the option of not using the banishment. As written is an argument for multi-classing out of paladin after level 19.

I cannot agree with this. The banishment should be clarified, and I agree that it would be nice to have the option not to use it. I would certainly run it as such.

However, smite still works normally against non-outsiders, and the increased DR, and automatically maximized lay on hands and positive energy channeling are all quite nice.

That said, unless Crothian expects his campaign to go to 20th level, this is probably a non-issue.

Crothian

First Post
We are running the Kingmaker, I'm not sure how high a level it goes. I am planning on sucking out ever ounce of XP I can though :D

ruemere

Adventurer
Advanced Player Guide is to bring a lot of new feats, many of them enhancing aspects of martial classes (mobility, team feats). Other than that, you don't really need anything - between Divine Bond (the sword), Lay on Hands (self-healing) and Smite current version of Paladin is incredibly self-sufficient.

Just pick an item and put your faith into your divine patron...

Regards,
Ruemere

PS. One of the coolest moment from the past - assassination attempt on a paladin in a public bath. The guy picked a bench (improvised reach weapon) and started smiting (you can have several smites active at the same time). Pity, it was not part of my game.

Crothian

First Post
I'm coming up with good idea but I think I need to wait and see what the new book brings option wise. I also want to see what the other players are bring to the table as hopefully they will cover some areas my character could potentially cover and I know not to go the route. :D

milo

First Post
The UndeFEATable series has some decent feats for Paladin. The only other one from the series that I liked was the fighter book. They are either $.99 or $1.99 downloadable PDF from the Paizo website.
EDIT
The rest of the books weren't horrible, those are just my two favorite. The ranger book is probably me third favorite.
END EDIT

Remove ads