• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How is the warlock not overpowered?

Raspen

First Post
Sorry for bringing back an old thread..

Well it happend, I was playing last weekend and finaly hit with my epic warloc ya its taken me like 2 months of playing every weekend with this build but I got it off.

just to let you all know in our game we just roll one die and times it for damage so we dont have to roll a crazy numbers of dice.

I was hasted and used 5 charges with my warloc septure and got 5 attack with my Udderdark Glaive doing 16d6 per hit and i rolled a 5 so damage = 400

well my GM FREAKED OUT... this is what i have to ask you guys first am i doing this right? is my math ok? do you think this is unbalanced?

well this is what my GM did he looked over all items in question first the glaive then lvl damage for blast *lvl 23* then the Crusable of fell power Greater and then the warloc speture... and told me that the warloc speture only works on my first hit and not the rest I argued it but he realy didnt understand me i even pointed out that i shoulnt have to reroll SR on each attack eather but he still didnt understand me on that eather.

I droped the subject for now but if i deside to bring it back up i need a way to go about it can anyone offer any ideas?

the hole time this happend all i was thinking was i should have played a wizard and used sudden max on a disinagrate that is split rayed.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Raspen said:
just to let you all know in our game we just roll one die and times it for damage so we dont have to roll a crazy numbers of dice.

I can't speak about the warlocks, but I can say that this technique will get you crazy results on damage rolls for *anyone*, and clearly resulted in crazy damage for your PC here.

If you don't want to roll lots of dice, you might as well just assume average damage per die (e.g. 3.5 for a d6, 4.5 for a d8 and so forth). After 10d6 it is rare to get much away from the 35 average damage anyway, and this effect is accentuated as the number of dice get higher.

Stalker0

Legend
Plane Sailing said:
I can't speak about the warlocks, but I can say that this technique will get you crazy results on damage rolls for *anyone*, and clearly resulted in crazy damage for your PC here.

If you don't want to roll lots of dice, you might as well just assume average damage per die (e.g. 3.5 for a d6, 4.5 for a d8 and so forth). After 10d6 it is rare to get much away from the 35 average damage anyway, and this effect is accentuated as the number of dice get higher.

Completely agree. I started taking the average when my players hit 16th level and have never looked back.

But honestly, 400 damage at epic levels is certainly in the ballpark, and is something a decently built epic fighter should be able to accomplish.

Darklone

Wrote a non too optimized bard archer for level 12 as an example last week on another board who causes 100 points of damage with average rolls per round...

A factor of 4 with 8 more levels seems rather weak for D&D power per level increase. So yes, taking into account your crazy dice roll thing, it's ok. And no, it's not a problem of the warlock class.

irdeggman

First Post
Raspen said:
I was hasted and used 5 charges with my warloc septure and got 5 attack with my Udderdark Glaive doing 16d6 per hit and i rolled a 5 so damage = 400

Maybe I'm missing something here, but how does being hasted allow multiple spell-like abilities in a round?

All of the warlock's invocations (including eldritch blast) are spell-like abilites.

As clarification (actually specifically pointing out things) from the FAQ:

Does the warlock’s eldritch blast require a standard action to use or does it take the place of an attack (thus making it possible to fire multiple eldritch blasts in a round if you have multiple attacks)?

As a spell-like ability, an eldritch blast requires a standard action to use. Having a base attack bonus of +6 or greater does not allow the warlock to use his eldritch blast multiple times per round.

Does a warlock’s hideous blow invocation (Complete Arcane, page 134) require one standard action to use the hideous blow and another round to strike with a melee weapon, or can the hideous blow and the melee weapon attack be done as a single standard action?
Making an attack with hideous blow is considered part of the same standard action as using the hideous blow invocation (much like the casting of a touch spell allows an attack to be made as part of the spell’s casting).

Applying hideous blow is a spell-like ability that requires a standard action and thus can't be used with a full-attack action - so only one per round. Haste gives an extra attack when using the full-attack action - not an extra standard action (3.0 rules).

javcs

First Post
Irdeggman, the Glaive lets you get a full attack, insofar as I understand it, with your eldritch blast as a glaive (so melee reach, but no further).

I'm not sure where the 5th attack came from, though.

RigaMortus2

First Post
irdeggman said:
Maybe I'm missing something here, but how does being hasted allow multiple spell-like abilities in a round?

All of the warlock's invocations (including eldritch blast) are spell-like abilites.

As clarification (actually specifically pointing out things) from the FAQ:

Applying hideous blow is a spell-like ability that requires a standard action and thus can't be used with a full-attack action - so only one per round. Haste gives an extra attack when using the full-attack action - not an extra standard action (3.0 rules).

Eldritch Glaive allows you to use a Full-Round Action to attack. And if you have an iterative attack bonus, it allows you to use them to get multiple attacks. It is specifically called out in the invocation. But I don't know how he is getting 5 attacks, even with haste that would only be 4 attacks. Do you still increase BAB when you reach Epic Levels? If so, that would explain it...

Darklone

RigaMortus2 said:
Eldritch Glaive allows you to use a Full-Round Action to attack. And if you have an iterative attack bonus, it allows you to use them to get multiple attacks. It is specifically called out in the invocation. But I don't know how he is getting 5 attacks, even with haste that would only be 4 attacks. Do you still increase BAB when you reach Epic Levels? If so, that would explain it...
You do increase BAB after reaching Epic Levels but you don't gain any more iterative attacks.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads