• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How is the warlock not overpowered?

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Thurbane,

True but it's the same with near unlimited damage via sneak attack at times. I'm just saying Warlock might be hinky, but it's how the class earns its bread and butter.

Raspen

First Post
ok thanks for pointing out that i dont get the extra attack for epic i fixed that and as far as the haste thing goes thats kool with me too thanks for taking the time to look that up and seeing that it dont seem to match up.

so now im down to 12d6 with 3 attacks mim 3 max 216

ok now for the septure does it work or not how does everyone feel about this?

O and my DM is saying that it dont work because it would only aply the extra 4d6 to the first hit. How do i even argue that?

Danzauker

Adventurer
nittanytbone said:
There are some situations in which case Warlocks are more potent:

With a Fast-Paced DM: Wizards (and to a lesser extent other prepared casters) thrive on downtime. They need time to aquire new spells and copy them into their tome. They need time to make scrolls. They need time to sit down and memorize a proper spell loadout for the day. If the DM keeps the party continually on the run and interrupts rest cycles, a warlock is great because he can keep going indefinitely.

With an Inexperienced Player: Warlocks are easy to play as there are few resources to manage. All you have to worry about are your HP and your consumables (Scrolls, potions, etc). Wizards and other prepared casters must juggle HP, consumables, and their spell slots. A skilled and experienced player can easily juggle all these factors and get maximum mileage out of the versatility of a prepared caster, but a newbie might not understand good spell management (perhaps feeling a need to use a spell every single round, or on the other hand being too stingy and not using their spells up, or perhaps not even memorizing something useful). Sorcerers and spontaneous casters represent a middle ground between the two extremes.

With a predictable DM: If a certain invocation will ALWAYS be useful, then Warlocks are great. If you know your DM loves to include vertical challenges in every encounter, having continuous fly or spider climb is handy. Likewise, if your DM loves social encounters, Beguiling Influence is wonderful for a social character. If the DM mixes challenges up, then warlocks will find that they are hurting for versatility.

I think this pratically sums it up.

Every class balancement factor ulimately depends on the synergy between players and masters and their stile of gaming.

If you have no rogues in your party and the DM keeps putting traps in the dungeon, you're doomed. If you have 3 clerics, undead are a cakewalk.

I really welcomed the warlock because it extends the spectrum "easy pf play / few options <-> "difficult to run / many options", in order to accomodate a larger span of game styles. Plus it has a nice background (actually, I house-ruled the favourite class of tiefling to warlock in my games just for the flavour).

Sorcerers and warlocks are good choices for those who want a simple character able to do something, maybe of little effect, each round. Usually that thing is blasting some enemy. Of course there must always be some sort of silent accord between player and DM, even if you play a sorcerer. If your sorcerer's best spells are based on fire and you run a session where most of the opponents are resistant to fire, the party's wizard is more likely of star, since he will probably put some proverbial rabbit out of the hat that you can't do.

Warlocks are probably the best caster choice for absolute beginner, since they are almost guaranteed to be able to zap something and have some fun.

On the other side of the spectrum, I'm currently playing a ToM Binder in my current group. This goes even farther then the wizard on the "planning" side, since most of its class abilities must be chosen and kept for 24 hours. this requires a good deal of synergy with your DM, because if you choose the wrong vestige(s) you're basically wallpaper for the whole session. Since our DM is good and occasionally "spoils" a bit of information on the next session, both in game and privately, when it's really important, I sometimes ended being the pivotal character for the success of the adventure.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads