D&D 5E How Is This Balanced?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
This comment was made by a Dragon Sorcerer in regards to a Light Cleric and Sorc1/Twilight Cleric. All PCs are level 8.

We only have 1 dedicated front line type in the party a paladin with a Ranged rogue rounding out the party.

To be fair I regard a Dragon Sorcerer as B tier Sorcerer and those two clerics as S tier.

Anyway the twilight cleric tends to wade into melee combat and the light cleric started as a ranged PC but has kind of copied the twilight clerics spells.

Both clerics are wisdom based and use spiritual weapon/guardians, guiding Bolt, toll the dead and inflict woubds.The MC one uses booming blade.

Not much is resistant to necrotic/radiant/force.

The fire Sorcerer is exactly that and has encounteed fire resistant critters and isn't good in melee.

One of the clerics players is also not the best skill wise the Dragon Sorcerer not so much.

Anyway ideas? I'm thinking of tweaking some of the encounters so the fire Sorcerer won't be so screwed but the big bad is still a fire giant. He can also cast haste or twin it.

Normally a you broke it you buy it type DM but getting soft in old age.
I have a pyro Wizard in my Eberron game, and I was working out a custom lvl 6 spell for him that allows him to turn all his fire damage into radiant damage while the spell lasts, and then the scribe Wizard came out lol.

I’d also say let the sorcerer use all the new UA dragon spells.

Also if the Sorcerer is b tier, why not give it a built in feature to recover proficiency+Cha sorcery points with a short rest, to give it more mileage, and a free Metamagic to change damage types or to reduce immunity to resistance (which would stack with the elemental feat)?

I have a pyro Wizard in my Eberron game, and I was working out a custom lvl 6 spell for him that allows him to turn all his fire damage into radiant damage while the spell lasts, and then the scribe Wizard came out lol.

I’d also say let the sorcerer use all the new UA dragon spells.

Also if the Sorcerer is b tier, why not give it a built in feature to recover proficiency+Cha sorcery points with a short rest, to give it more mileage, and a free Metamagic to change damage types or to reduce immunity to resistance (which would stack with the elemental feat)?
Cha bonus to sorcery points recovered seems ok. But on a short rest cooldown?
The sorcerer is not b tier. You just need to help new players a bit.
While it seems cool to only have fire spells, that choice seems not so good if you encounter resistant or immune enemies often.
The dragon sorcerer has mediocre AC and hp. By no means good, but okish. You still should play from behind.

Zardnaar

Legend
I think you are underestimating the utility of such a debuff. If you are a sorcerer with heightened spell and you want to be sure your single slot level X spell sticks, this spell is exactly what you want: first, quickened mind sliver for -d4 on your next spell and if it works, cast your heightened spell. If you only have one chance, you better prepare it well.
If you are looking for damage, don't look at wizard cantrips.

Except if you do that you can only use a cantrip after ur quickened spell.

Zardnaar

Legend
Cha bonus to sorcery points recovered seems ok. But on a short rest cooldown?
The sorcerer is not b tier. You just need to help new players a bit.
While it seems cool to only have fire spells, that choice seems not so good if you encounter resistant or immune enemies often.
The dragon sorcerer has mediocre AC and hp. By no means good, but okish. You still should play from behind.

I consider the Dragon Sorcerer B tier relative to the other Sorcerer's with the Divine Soul as S tier.

For the clerics I would put twilight and light in S tier.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I think you are underestimating the utility of such a debuff. If you are a sorcerer with heightened spell and you want to be sure your single slot level X spell sticks, this spell is exactly what you want: first, quickened mind sliver for -d4 on your next spell and if it works, cast your heightened spell. If you only have one chance, you better prepare it well.
If you are looking for damage, don't look at wizard cantrips.
No I'm not. I don't believe that maximize exists in 5e but exist or not lets say it does. for the sake of argument lets go with a maximized disintegrate spell 10d6+40 maximized to 60+40=100 or even something really beefy like the 9th level spell meteor swarm dealing 20d8 bludgeoning, again lets maximize it to 8x20=160 that sounds really impressive, but when you look at the math it's anything but given that from level 17-20 a caster will have one level nine spell slot per long rest along with one 6th level spell slot from 10-18 where that jumps to two at 19-20.

In this example where you are defending mind sliver as an underestimated debuff the sorcerer used two rounds with one dealing very poor damage. Lets be generous & say the sorcerer was level 17+ for 4d6=14 mind sliver damage. That brings the per round to 114/2=57 for that maximized disintegrate & 174/2=87 with a maximized meteor swarm after setup. Don't forget that it doesn't look like maximize even exists in 5e other than one of the wildmagic surge possibilities. with the easy maximized damage here to avoid any variance using a metamagic that might not even exist in 5e lets see what has an average at or around 57/round to compare
  • A level11 fighter with GWM a +0 greataxe & a maybe behind the curve 14 16 or 18 strength dealing completely average damage
    1618789957639.png
  • But GWM is a whole feat investment while the theoretical maximize is no doubt a free every round participation trophy level investment so lets compare a longsword & shield fighter to that level 17mind sliver+maximized disintegrate.
    1618788318730.png
    • Look at that the fighter needs 18 strength & a +1 weapon or 20 strength for their average damage to hit that theoretical mind sliver+maximized disintegrate when they pop action surge....
      • Of course that goes out the window if one or more of those six attacks is a crit, but lets pretend there are no crits & instead look at how the fighter recovers action surge & how the sorcerer recovers that one level 6 slot.
        1618788586443.png

You might have other ideas I'm not considering but I can't seem to find any way for the sorcerer to recover that one level 6 spell slot. Given that maximize seems to only come from wildmagic surge rolls of 33-34 it's safe to say that it's going to be a tiny bit less frequent than action surge even if the sorcerer is rolling on the surge table every round.
Well that was a poor showing pitting a level 17 sorcerer against a level 11 fighter who had to step up from starting gear & feat to a +1 longsword& shield with 18 strength. I don't know about you, but I'm not seeing the case your trying to make getting backed up there so feel like moving on to the maximized 9th level meteor swarm. As noted above mindsliver+maximized meteor swarm is 174 damage across two rounds or an average of 87/round.
Oh that's right greataxe & gwm with 18-20 strength tops out at 82 & 86 using a +0 greataxe as included above. Since the sorcerer won't even get 9th level slot until 17 it's a reasonable comparison to make using a fighter 3 levels higher instead of a fighter six levels lower....
  • 1618790078485.png
    • Well look at that, it takes a level 5 fighter with GWM 16 strength & action surge using a +2 greataxe to get there, you can of course drop that to +1 & +0 with 18 & 20 strength respectively
  • Meteor swarm is a 40 foot radius sphere so we can use dmg249 to see that wotc has told us that meteor swarm using the 40/5 should be damaging 8 targets per cast. That raises two very critical questions
    • You were saying that I was underestimating mindsliver. Out of those eight targets that may or may not exist in a fight & may or may not be within 40ft of each other why is it that only one of them critically needs that -1d4 to save as you note & if that's something where more than one of those eight hypothetical targets needs it then exactly what part was I underestimating?... Lets give it the benefit of the doubt & say that those 8 targets are the bbeg plus some mooks. Oh wait...
      1618790916760.png
      Good thing the sorcerer debuffed that save by the 1d4 so the bbeg targeted by mindsliver could choose to suceed instead. This was with a cr13 vampire but that legendary resist only gets more & more common the higher you go.
    • Wotc expects 6-8 encounters & two short rests per long. Do you think that the fighter gets 4-8 rounds of average damage in depending on if they pop action surge or not?... I think they probably do
  • But what about if the fighter has no magic weapons?
    1618791179168.png
    • Wait a minute, it looks very much like wotc designed a blaster sorcerer using a maximized high level spell should compare to a fighter dealing half damage because of a situation they advice against & take pains to prevent in at least three different publications...

Really not seeing the case your making for me underestimating the value. Mindsliver is single target not AOE so it's not making up the value with aoe nukes aoe debuffs & aoe control spells. Given the damage disparity even top shelf single target debuffs seem dubious in their ability to make up the chasm needed for -1d4 to be merely underestimated in value

Sorcerer is one of the most unforgiving classes for an inexperienced player. And the fact that the more experienced players chose optimized options makes it worse in terms of party balance.

You might want to let the sorcerer change out some of their spells or metamagics. As others have mentioned, Transumted Spell from Tasha's will allow the sorcerer to use different energy types. If you are feeling really generous, you could give the sorcerer an item which gives them access to Transumted Spell and let them keep their other metamagics. Or perhaps there is some other arcane-only item the party could come across. A wand of lightning bolts?

If this player is inexperienced I wonder what their spell selection is. They may have fallen into the trap of taking too many fire spells. If I was an 8th level sorcerer one of my 4th level spells would be either polymorph or greater invisibility. Both of which would be powerful assets for the party that no one else can do. Haste is good but I think those two are better.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Sorcerer is one of the most unforgiving classes for an inexperienced player. And the fact that the more experienced players chose optimized options makes it worse in terms of party balance.

You might want to let the sorcerer change out some of their spells or metamagics. As others have mentioned, Transumted Spell from Tasha's will allow the sorcerer to use different energy types. If you are feeling really generous, you could give the sorcerer an item which gives them access to Transumted Spell and let them keep their other metamagics. Or perhaps there is some other arcane-only item the party could come across. A wand of lightning bolts?

If this player is inexperienced I wonder what their spell selection is. They may have fallen into the trap of taking too many fire spells. If I was an 8th level sorcerer one of my 4th level spells would be either polymorph or greater invisibility. Both of which would be powerful assets for the party that no one else can do. Haste is good but I think those two are better.

He did take some utility just had a stink (for him) encounter. Everything was immune or resistant to fire.

I have seen Sorcerer's take close to 100% fire spells.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I have a fire draconic sorcerer take ray of frost just as a back up, he needed it during the final battle of the last session so I think he was happy to have taken it.

No I'm not. I don't believe that maximize exists in 5e but exist or not lets say it does. for the sake of argument lets go with a maximized disintegrate spell 10d6+40 maximized to 60+40=100 or even something really beefy like the 9th level spell meteor swarm dealing 20d8 bludgeoning, again lets maximize it to 8x20=160 that sounds really impressive, but when you look at the math it's anything but given that from level 17-20 a caster will have one level nine spell slot per long rest along with one 6th level spell slot from 10-18 where that jumps to two at 19-20.

In this example where you are defending mind sliver as an underestimated debuff the sorcerer used two rounds with one dealing very poor damage. Lets be generous & say the sorcerer was level 17+ for 4d6=14 mind sliver damage. That brings the per round to 114/2=57 for that maximized disintegrate & 174/2=87 with a maximized meteor swarm after setup. Don't forget that it doesn't look like maximize even exists in 5e other than one of the wildmagic surge possibilities. with the easy maximized damage here to avoid any variance using a metamagic that might not even exist in 5e lets see what has an average at or around 57/round to compare
  • A level11 fighter with GWM a +0 greataxe & a maybe behind the curve 14 16 or 18 strength dealing completely average damage
    View attachment 135766
  • But GWM is a whole feat investment while the theoretical maximize is no doubt a free every round participation trophy level investment so lets compare a longsword & shield fighter to that level 17mind sliver+maximized disintegrate.
    View attachment 135761
    • Look at that the fighter needs 18 strength & a +1 weapon or 20 strength for their average damage to hit that theoretical mind sliver+maximized disintegrate when they pop action surge....
      • Of course that goes out the window if one or more of those six attacks is a crit, but lets pretend there are no crits & instead look at how the fighter recovers action surge & how the sorcerer recovers that one level 6 slot.
        View attachment 135763
        You might have other ideas I'm not considering but I can't seem to find any way for the sorcerer to recover that one level 6 spell slot. Given that maximize seems to only come from wildmagic surge rolls of 33-34 it's safe to say that it's going to be a tiny bit less frequent than action surge even if the sorcerer is rolling on the surge table every round.
Well that was a poor showing pitting a level 17 sorcerer against a level 11 fighter who had to step up from starting gear & feat to a +1 longsword& shield with 18 strength. I don't know about you, but I'm not seeing the case your trying to make getting backed up there so feel like moving on to the maximized 9th level meteor swarm. As noted above mindsliver+maximized meteor swarm is 174 damage across two rounds or an average of 87/round.
Oh that's right greataxe & gwm with 18-20 strength tops out at 82 & 86 using a +0 greataxe as included above. Since the sorcerer won't even get 9th level slot until 17 it's a reasonable comparison to make using a fighter 3 levels higher instead of a fighter six levels lower....
  • View attachment 135767
    • Well look at that, it takes a level 5 fighter with GWM 16 strength & action surge using a +2 greataxe to get there, you can of course drop that to +1 & +0 with 18 & 20 strength respectively
  • Meteor swarm is a 40 foot radius sphere so we can use dmg249 to see that wotc has told us that meteor swarm using the 40/5 should be damaging 8 targets per cast. That raises two very critical questions
    • You were saying that I was underestimating mindsliver. Out of those eight targets that may or may not exist in a fight & may or may not be within 40ft of each other why is it that only one of them critically needs that -1d4 to save as you note & if that's something where more than one of those eight hypothetical targets needs it then exactly what part was I underestimating?... Lets give it the benefit of the doubt & say that those 8 targets are the bbeg plus some mooks. Oh wait... View attachment 135768 Good thing the sorcerer debuffed that save by the 1d4 so the bbeg targeted by mindsliver could choose to suceed instead. This was with a cr13 vampire but that legendary resist only gets more & more common the higher you go.
    • Wotc expects 6-8 encounters & two short rests per long. Do you think that the fighter gets 4-8 rounds of average damage in depending on if they pop action surge or not?... I think they probably do
  • But what about if the fighter has no magic weapons?
    • Wait a minute, it looks very much like wotc designed a blaster sorcerer using a maximized high level spell should compare to a fighter dealing half damage because of a situation they advice against & take pains to prevent in at least three different publications...

Really not seeing the case your making for me underestimating the value. Mindsliver is single target not AOE so it's not making up the value with aoe nukes aoe debuffs & aoe control spells. Given the damage disparity even top shelf single target debuffs seem dubious in their ability to make up the chasm needed for -1d4 to be merely underestimated in value
Just the fact that you even assumed you will follow up with anotger damage spell shows that you don't understand the spell.
But as I was rightly told: you can't quicken a cantrip and then also cast a spell. So you have 1 round delay between those spells which diminishes the use a for yourself a bit.
Yo can of course use mind sliver first and then quicken your let's say banishment spell after, which might make sense if you don't have access to heightened spell.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases