D&D General How Long Did You Play the Different Editions of D&D? (+)

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
2e: a handful of sessions (but many hours of video games based on this edition), ~1992-2001
3/3.5e: the edition I played most, ~2001-2015 (with a break in 2007, and after that it was mostly PbP)
5e: significantly less than 3e, IIRC a couple of sessions in 2016, then again a new campaign this year
0e/1e: didn't play yet, but will probably do so once the Dolmenwood books are out (will probably play with B/X, but Swords&Wizardry is an option)

I have also played Dungeon Crawl Classics a couple of times and am looking forward to play either Beyond the Wall or Whitehack. But nothing set in stone so far for the latter two.
My main game for the past year or so has been DCC, but since it isn't technically an edition of D&D I didn't mention it. I played Pathfinder for a couple of years in the 4e era, but didn't list it here for the same reason.

LoganRan

Explorer
B/X: 1981-1982 (only about 8-9 months, family moved and new group was playing 1E)
AD&D (1E): 1982-1989 (also played a smattering of times in college around 93-94)
3E: 1 session in 2001 (tried PF 1E about a decade later for a few sessions)
5E: 2015 (played for a few months via Adventurer's League)

I have not gamed regularly since high school back in the late 80's.

I would like to game but have two big issues: one, I'm only interested in playing older stuff (B/X or 1E) and, two, I don't like gaming remotely. Trying to find face-to-face gaming using B/X or 1E is very difficult.

teitan

Legend
Home brew 1988-1996, mostly a mash of 0e with a 1e PHB. We played it so much I didn’t even need rule books anymore.

2e 1994-1997, had two groups, this was my second group when I moved to a new town then to Athens, OH got fed up with TSR

3e, 3.5 2000-2008, got burnt out quit playing. 3.0 is my preferred brand.

5e 2019 to present

I played 3.5 the longest but I would say about 2006 I was starting to feel the burn with the sourcebooks just getting kind of out there. The last two I got were Libris Mortis and Dungeonscape and before those two? Umm. Man, I don’t remember at this point. I had most of the 3.0 era books but 3.5 I tended to stick to core plus 1 as the default for my players and home brewed everything so mostly Monster books. I didn’t even get Lords of Madness or the Fiendish books but 3.x was my favorite era at the same time. My book shelves at one point were so weighted down they broke from the 3.x era books so I must have had all of them up to 2005. I didn’t get the races of or class books, I met my players buy those. I got monster focused books and spell books.

I bought 5e when it came out but we started playing in 2019 when time allowed and then Covid hit. So we’ve played off and on since. So far it’s my favorite to run and I don’t plan on reupping with the Anniversary edition unless it really is 100% compatible. If it’s basically Fizban’s version of Dragonborn and bringing the PHB races in line with those minor changes then I’m down with that. I’m partially salty that Multiverse of Monsters is mostly reprints of Volo’s and Mordenkainen’s because while I was applauding putting the reprints in Xanathar and Tasha’s from the campaign settings for the subclasses and the races in the monster books… now they’re doing another reprint book for monsters and races from the monster books that reprinted monsters and races that were reprints and updates of monsters and races that were reprints of monsters and races that reprinted monsters and races that were reprinted… just move on already. Don’t issue a whole new book of the same material. Gimme an undead book!

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I’m partially salty that Multiverse of Monsters is mostly reprints of Volo’s and Mordenkainen’s because while I was applauding putting the reprints in Xanathar and Tasha’s from the campaign settings for the subclasses and the races in the monster books… now they’re doing another reprint book for monsters and races from the monster books that reprinted monsters and races that were reprints and updates of monsters and races that were reprints of monsters and races that reprinted monsters and races that were reprinted… just move on already. Don’t issue a whole new book of the same material. Gimme an undead book!
Hmm . . . by your description, Monsters of the Multiverse is completely an undead book. You know, the same material rising from the dead over and over to seek new life.

Lord Shark

Adventurer
Holmes Basic: 1979
AD&D 1E: 1980-1989
AD&D 2E: 1989-2000
D&D 3E: 2000-about 2004? I don't really remember when I stopped playing 3E, I just drifted away.
D&D 4E: 2008-2014
Pathfinder 1E: 2011-present
13th Age: 2013-2016

MGibster

Legend
Oh, this is fun.

AD&D 1st edition: 1987-1989 (2 years)
AD&D 2nd edition: 1989-1997 (8 years)
D&D 3rd edition: 2000-2003 (3 years)
D&D 4th edition: 2007 (6 weeks)
D&D 5th edition: 2014-Present (7 years and counting)

For 3rd edition, I have to admit that 3.5 kind of angered me. I didn't feel as though the changes justified the price of new books and I opted out. And 4th edition just wasn't my bag.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases