How long do we wait for WoTC to speak?

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
In response to Jadeite's post that I cant actually quote

the lord of the rings GIF

CapnZapp

Legend
Pretty much everyone disputes (not necessarily repudiates, but disputes) WotC's right to terminate 1.0a, and the only change that is possible is by creating a new version of the OGL, which, according to the OGL 1.0a, doesn't do anything to the OGL 1.0a.
No. People dislike it. But people in the know agree they can legally do this.

Not that this matters, since the OGL was only ever as good as the trust licensors put in the license.

Which today is zero.

CapnZapp

Legend
No, that's a classic No True Scotsman logical fallacy of the goddamn silliest kind. You're not presenting argument, or even really an opinion, you're just No True Scotsman'ing.
Even if WotC completely pulled back, it would not change a thing.

Even if WotC is legally 100% right, or 100% wrong... nothing changes.

The value of the OGL was in its ability to make 3PPs trust WotC.

That's gone, no matter what any court will say.

The entire notion of "they can't do this" or "the courts will stop them" is entirely beside the point.

(I'm not going to repeat my stance on whether the deauthorization is legal, I'm moving on to say it doesn't matter)

No, being worse of because of OGL 1.1 is because your existing rug is pulled from beneath you with little warning.

Nobody is getting scared away from the millions of fantasy gamers. Just scared away from doing business with WotC.
I agree that it's better to be able to plan your exit from the D&D ecosystem than it is to be booted with no warning. But at the end of the day, you're still out. I don't think that's a beneficial position for 3PP. That's why I'd like to see an explicitly irrevocable 1.0b, even if I'm not hopeful.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases