D&D 5E How many classess/subclasses is too much?

How many subclasses are too many?

• There already are too many

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • Right now is about right

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • I could use some more, but not many more

Votes: 14 17.1%
  • there can never be enough!

Votes: 37 45.1%

Vael

Legend
I keep going back and forth on a swordmage base class. It'd have to have something else to make it unique, separate it from the other gish options.

New classes, outside of the Artificer, and the Psion/Mystic are hard.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
How many divine themed classes to we have?

All clerics, celestial warlock, divine soul sorcerer, zealot barbarian, paladin. Then you have the alcolye background for minor religious flavor.

I think that if we can find room for all those we can find room for a fighter that can cast spells arcane spells better than the eldritch knight and worse than the wizard and without the warlock baggage.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
How many divine themed classes to we have?

All clerics, celestial warlock, divine soul sorcerer, zealot barbarian, paladin. Then you have the alcolye background for minor religious flavor.

I think that if we can find room for all those we can find room for a fighter that can cast spells arcane spells better than the eldritch knight and worse than the wizard and without the warlock baggage.

Again, literally describing the Artificer...

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Though thinking on it, the conceptual space I could see a Swordmage (or whatever you want to call it: the main problem here is the lack of a traditional archetype with a convenient name) filling would be that of a two-thirds caster: not sure if that would work, but the slot is there to fill.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Though thinking on it, the conceptual space I could see a Swordmage (or whatever you want to call it: the main problem here is the lack of a traditional archetype with a convenient name) filling would be that of a two-thirds caster: not sure if that would work, but the slot is there to fill.

Interesting - I see the swordmage as a half caster

Vael

Legend
The paladin is divine. The artificer is about tinkering with magic item creation. He's not really what you consider to be a swordmage.

So, creating a magic sword, or weaving infusions and spells like Arcane Weapon into a weapon don't make a Swordmage? At this point, I'll need a specific example of what this Swordmage is, and why the Battlesmith Artificer, Bladesinger Wizard, Eldritch Knight Fighter and Hexblade Warlock don't apply.

Remove ads