• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How many classess/subclasses is too much?

How many subclasses are too many?

• There already are too many

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • Right now is about right

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • I could use some more, but not many more

Votes: 14 17.1%
  • there can never be enough!

Votes: 37 45.1%

Ashrym

Legend
I'm still waiting for a "Lord of the Dance" for the Bard, a "Ghost Buster" for the Ranger, and a "Smooth Criminal" for the Rouge...

I can already dance as a bard and be effective. It part of the fluff behind swords bard iirc. It's the desire to add more abilities justify making it a subclass I question.

Same with being a smooth criminal. What does that really mean? I take social skills and invest expertise in them already on a rogue. My idea of a smooth criminal is expertise in persuasion, deception, and insight.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I can already dance as a bard and be effective. It part of the fluff behind swords bard iirc. It's the desire to add more abilities justify making it a subclass I question.

Same with being a smooth criminal. What does that really mean? I take social skills and invest expertise in them already on a rogue. My idea of a smooth criminal is expertise in persuasion, deception, and insight.

Ashrym, are you okay?

I don't suppose you know which Bard college goes best with the Blues and which background best fits with, "I'm on a mission from God" ?

Ashrym

Legend
I don't suppose you know which Bard college goes best with the Blues and which background best fits with, "I'm on a mission from God" ?

Acolyte or custom for "I'm on a mission from God". The blues is a music style. I'm thinking glamour if the focus is on any music but I don't know what else you want out of the bard.

You could take shadow monk with the entertainer background if you want to think outside the box. ;)

EDIT; making a paladin or cleric with a music theme should fit this concept pretty well, tbh. Not all musicians are bards.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I know, I probably should have clarified that I'd like an arcane half-caster that is a fighter/mage class, not an artificer class.

Like a Swordmage, OK. Thing is, between the Artificer and maybe an Arcanish Paladin Subclass (Mearls floated one in the Happy Fun Hour), I'm not sure what the mechanical space would be?

Remove ads