• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How Many Groups Do You Play In?

How many groups do you play in?

Votes: 32 10.4%

Votes: 134 43.6%

Votes: 107 34.9%

Votes: 26 8.5%
  • 4+

Votes: 8 2.6%

Erstwhile

First Post
One tabletop group (HarnMaster), one online group using GameTable and Ventrilo (Arcana Evolved), one Play-by-post group (Mutants & Masterminds).

Assuming those all count as "groups", that's three, so I can't answer the poll! :p As far as tabletop gaming goes, I don't think I've ever had more than one group at a time...there's been more than one campaign going on at a time, but it's generally been with the same players, so the group as such has remained the same.

Morrow

First Post
I'm in one group, but we have three different games involving different people. This really came about because one of our players (let's call him gamer E) has developed an extremely full schedule, and even when he says he can make it sometimes cancels at the last minute.

Game 1: Gamer A is the DM, gamers B - E are players. We only schedule this one when gamer E can show up.

Game 2: Gamer B is the DM, gamers A and C - E are players. We try to work around gamer E's schedule, but we schedule this one once a month even if gamer E isn't available. We take turns playing his character when he isn't around.

Game 3: Gamer C is the DM, gamers A, B, and D are players. Gamer E has nothing to do with this one (I'm not sure he's even really aware of it), which means that it is much easier to schedule and allows the rest of us to get in more gaming than we'd be able to if we felt that every member of the group needed to be a part of every game.

On average we play each game once a month. I wish we could play more often, but it just isn't feasible.

Morrow

Wombat

First Post
There was one time in my life when I played in 2 groups, but that didn't last long.

I am a one-group person, barring experimentation... ;)

Chiaroscuro23

First Post
I've never had trouble with maintaining a few different groups. Normally it's just an issue of which sets of friends do what. If folks I know from college are playing something once a month, it doesn't keep a set of friends who know them only peripherally from playing something else every other week.

If everyone were already in one big group I figure the main variance would be in who played in each individual campaign. Maybe not everyone who wanted to play Nobilis wants to play Shadowrun, and vice versa. Frankly, with one of my groups the main problem is too many GMs with too many games they want to try that don't last long enough.

-C.

Currently, 0, living on a subsistence diet of gamedays and such. I've never tried to do more than 2 groups at a time (1 DMing and 1 playing) and that was in college. I don't think I could handle more than that, even if they were only meeting once a month or so.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
The_Universe said:
What the heck? I selected a 4 option poll when I started the thread, and included "3+" as the fourth option. What happened to the 4th option?

Maybe it was eaten by a grue...

I edited it for you, adding 3 and 4+ - hope that doesn't skew the results too much.

And as for me?

1 group.

In the past I have sometimes been in 2 or 3 - but I cannot imagine having the time anymore.

AntiStateQuixote

Enemy of the State
I chose one, but I actually play in three different games with a mixture of people that are all members of one extended game group.

In addition to me, my wife is the only player common to all three games. The other players are in one or two games that I'm in, and some of them play in additional games with each other that I'm not in . . .

So, three groups, or one group, or something.

Remove ads