• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How many spells can be scribed onto a single scroll?

esorek

First Post
Looks like my group stumbled on a bit of unclarity in the DMG and this one is causing some debate amongst the group I DM so any help in resolving this will be appreciated.
Up until now I've ruled that it takes one day to scribe a single spell scroll, this is according to the rule that it takes at least one day to create any magic item as stated in the DMG and reinforced in the FAQ.
However one of my players who plays a wizard brought up a very good point which is that you can apparently scribe multiple spells onto one scroll, and he (and his character) knows this since the group found some scrolls with multiple spells on them which were a part of some randomly generated treasure. So given that if you look at the scrolls section in the DMG it states that it takes one day per 1000 gp value and the fact that you can scribe multiple spells to a scroll (the upper limit implied by the random generation tables is 6) it seems feasible that you can scribe multiple spells onto a scroll in one day provided that:
1) You have all the spells memorized.
2) The total cost is less then 1000 GP.

Any one run into this one or have any idead how to deal?

kreynolds

First Post
How much time and money do you have? That many.

If your total cost is less than or equal to 1000gp, then you can finish it in a day. Of course, it also depends on how you see a scroll with multiple spells. Is it a scroll with 10 spells on it just a single scroll (a single magic item) with 10 spells in it, or is a scroll with 10 spells on it actually 10 scrolls? If the later is the case, it can't be made in a day.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads