D&D 5E How much spare gold does your character you have?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
With folks often saying they don't have enough to spend gold on, I was wondering just how much spare gold your character has (and at what level)? Who's carrying around a big wad of cash, and how big is it?

For the moment
One group is level 6 (on average) Most players have about 700 gold worth of valuables that they can buy stuff with.
The second group is about 13th to 14th level and they are relatively rich. Most characters have about 20k (and some have more) to spend their money on just about anything they can fancy.

Zubatcarteira

Now you're infected by the Musical Doodle
My level 9 Druid had about 1000 gp on hand, but that campaign had magic item shops, so she was carrying some 6000 gp of those alone. The level 7 Barbarian in the same campaign had about 1100 gp on him, and some 1500 on items.

My level 7 Cleric in another campaign had 0, we only got a big loot stash once and the Ranger/Paladin duo grabbed it while no one was looking.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The two more active D&D games I am playing in both have parties that tend to pool their funds.

My 4th level dwarven rogue in Rime of the Frostmaiden has 15 gp to his name. The party war chest has maybe a couple hundred gold in it. The guy doing the accounting seems to like to pay everyone out when we get about 700 in the war chest.

My 9th level gnome artificer, if we were to split up the pooled party funds, would have about two thousand on hand.

ECMO3

Hero
With folks often saying they don't have enough to spend gold on, I was wondering just how much spare gold your character has (and at what level)? Who's carrying around a big wad of cash, and how big is it?
In the campaigns I am playing right now:

#1 11th level Rogue/Wizard no spare gold.
#2 4th level Rogue no spare gold.
#3 5th level Rogue/Cleric I have about 2k gold which is more than I need. I don't have anything I could spend money on that I want.
#4 4th level Rogue/Fighter, no spare gold. My fighter is still walking around in scale because she can't afford any better.
#5 7th level Rogue/Ranger I have about 10,000 gold. We also have a bunch of magic items but none I can use effectively.
#6 12th level Wizard no spare gold.
#7 5th level Fighter/Ranger no spare gold

I am also DM on 3 campaigns (currently 9th, 4th and 13th level). None of them have any spare gold. The 9th level characters are mostly still mostly using starting weapons and armor.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
Our 9th level group accumulated over 50,000 gp in coins, gems, and art objects.

EDIT: It's a group of 6 so that's around 8,300 gp per character.

Skayaq

Explorer
in one campaign we are currently 9th level and have about 15000gp total among the party, and while we can buy magic items from travelling merchant we have more gold than we can spend.
in another campaign we are 6th level and each player have about 1000-1500gp
In the last campaign in in, we are 4th level and I have about 600gp, which I'm saving to buy a half-plate.

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
My last campaign ended with the party members having 5 million gold and seven magic items. Each. The one player who irl grew up in a family where good behavior was expected but never really rewarded announced that he had died and gone to heaven.
EDIT - campaign ended at 8th level.

Last campaign as a PC? Campaign ended with each PC having only 50 gold to their name and no magic items whatsoever. The girl playing the barbarian actually looked through her notes and determined that over the course of the campaign, we had each received a total of only 400 gold.
EDIT - Campaign ended at 7th level.

In a fairly generous campaign, I think we hit a peak of about 40,000 gold for 5-6 players around level 14. However a number of items were magic items dropped as loot, so never really became part of the gold currency valuation.

In a much less generous campaign, we peaked around 6000 gold for 6 players at level 10 (group funds, plus wages for a ship's crew). Almost all gear of any significance was purchased, and spending 3000 gold for an item involved a group discussion to agree it was worth using up the majority of the communal funds for one person. We also had just hit a point where our cash cow (the merchant ship) was about to become a liability rather than a source of income.

In a third campaign, we struggled to buy a few diamonds for Resurrection material at level 14 (because we usually needed to cast Resurrection at least once per session). Money was almost non-existent.

Remove ads